Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cheapest ways to keep in touch with family in UK

Cheapest ways to keep in touch with family in UK

Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

taylor2kay is a jewel in the roughtaylor2kay is a jewel in the roughtaylor2kay is a jewel in the roughtaylor2kay is a jewel in the roughtaylor2kay is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Cheapest ways to keep in touch with family in UK

Hi Guys,

I have been told lots of different ways of keeping in touch with friends and family back in the UK when we finally arrive in Vancouver.

Buy an Iphone and keep in touch with free video calling, have to buy family iphone too to keep in touch!
Skype, haven't a clue how it works, any advice would be greatly appreciated
Buy add ons for canadian mobile package

I have no idea but not being with family for xmas and new year, it's important we stay in touch but don't want to blow our budget on calls.

All your advice would be appreciated
Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapest ways to keep in touch with family in UK

Originally Posted by taylor2kay
Hi Guys,

I have been told lots of different ways of keeping in touch with friends and family back in the UK when we finally arrive in Vancouver.

Buy an Iphone and keep in touch with free video calling, have to buy family iphone too to keep in touch!

I have no idea but not being with family for xmas and new year, it's important we stay in touch but don't want to blow our budget on calls.

Skype is great. The advantage is that you can use skype at your end and call a landline. That costs but still much less than if you phone from your home phone to one in the UK.
Best way for you to find out about it is to look it up. I set mine up on my own so it can't be that difficult. Make sure your mic is working as we have been having the strangest of conversations with some friends in the UK as they are still trying to get their mic working so we speak and they type!!!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:45 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

We use Skype also, and cannot complain- it's free and very easy to use.

There are other free video calling options too- google has one, there's one built in to mac (iChat), facebook has video calling now....
Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

We buy the prepaid international calling cards. The number to call from here is free (unless you're using cell minutes) and then it's just as per the card. We tend to get the ones from Shoppers - they might be a little more per minute (but we're still talking less than a cent difference usually), but they have no minimum connection charge, and have a 6 month life, many others will charge you a set minimum for leaving a message, or expire after about 3 weeks. We've also found that they don't change their rates at the drop of a hat.

It might take an extra minute to make the call, but we found that the card rates were significantly cheaper than the Rogers 'preferred' rate we were paying extra for! Certainly much cheaper than adding anything on to your cell package too. We don't have a landline anymore either, and try and keep our calls to the weekends when we have unlimited minutes. That doesn't work if you have a lot of people calling you during the week though, as incoming calls count towards our minutes too. We briefly looked at the add ons for our cell phone package and moved on as they really weren't much cop.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

taylor2kay is a jewel in the roughtaylor2kay is a jewel in the roughtaylor2kay is a jewel in the roughtaylor2kay is a jewel in the roughtaylor2kay is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Guys

I'll get learning on how to do these
Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:51 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Skype also has an option where you can "buy" a UK phone number, so that when your family call, they're only billed for local calling (eg. they just call a UK number and it gets routed to you in Canada).

I cannot remember the cost, but it's pretty cheap. You can also make phone calls through Skype- you just have to purchase credit, which again, is pretty cheap compared to any other calling plan.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 12:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Write letters. Sometimes add a card.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 12:20 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

A thumbs up from me for Skype too. Yes, dead easy to set up from what I remember. I agree about the microphone issue though. Our microphone has always been OK as it is built in on our laptop and starts automatically with a Skype call but a couple of people we call have to turn them on separately and we've often started conversations looking like a game of charades! LOL

Also, look into the packages provided by your home phone provider too. We pay a flat rate monthly fee which includes all calls across Canada and USA and 1000 minutes per month to various other countries including the UK. We've only gone over this and had to pay extra a handful of times and then its only cost us a few extra cents so can't complain.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 1:10 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Face book, msn messenger, email, and get a call card from the local store.

We use the first 3 and we also have a plan with Bell for cheap uk calls. Some people in the UK also have free int calls so check with them and they may be able to call you for free.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

theDIV is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I used to use skype, but now I use comwave. They are good if you just want to use your land line from home, there is a small monthly fee, and the rate for UK calls is 2.5c per minute.

This is the deal I have:
http://www.comwave.net/residential/home-long-distance/

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 1:49 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

We use Skype or iChat or Facetime ( depending upon the caller ). Have no complaints about either
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:01 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Guys,

We bought internet ready, skype ready tv, Rogers provide the internet connection. Our computer is linked up to the tv so we skype, watch uk tv and do all computer work through it. We don't even bother subscribing to Canadian cable tv. Great to see family and friends on big screen and we share meals and a drink together when its birthdays and will do same when its Christmas. Miss them sooo much this helps us through the homesickness! some people may think 'sad' but it works for us. Also our landline with Rogers costs us 2c min to call UK, but don't use that much as we skype most people.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:18 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

WICKED

Thanks everyone, guna have a busy weekend
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

margaretmwilson will become famous soon enough

Hi, we have skype installed on our laptop and we pay $5.00 per month for unlimited calls to the UK and free skype to skype calls. We bought bluetooth last week and its great, I can still do my housework, cooking and ironing while chatting to family & friends for hours on end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.