Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone taken their dog.....???

Anyone taken their dog.....???

Old May 28th 2008, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone taken their dog.....???

Hi I just wondered if anyone had flown their dog to Canada. I know what the procedures are (I think) but not too clear on the costs?

E.g vet bills for rabies shot and check up, cost of flying pet and fees when landed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old May 28th 2008, 1:08 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone taken their dog.....???

Depends on where you are heading etc etc and if you are ok doing it yourself.

We would but zoom pulled out of manchester and now having to use a shipping agent as i dont fanc taking 3 kids and a dog to heathrow

Contact your vet for rabbies and mirco chip, we got quoted £120 and then phoned another and got quoted £60 for the same thing.
Not sure on health cert, someone maybe along later on that, we have been quoted £800 for ours, but they do everything for us, apart from the $30 you may pay at the airport, but that ofcourse depends on the airport that you are going to.

Hope that helps
gill
Old May 28th 2008, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Hi we would be flying into Toronto. We alreadly have our dog chipped so that wouldn't be an issue.

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew
Depends on where you are heading etc etc and if you are ok doing it yourself.

We would but zoom pulled out of manchester and now having to use a shipping agent as i dont fanc taking 3 kids and a dog to heathrow

Contact your vet for rabbies and mirco chip, we got quoted £120 and then phoned another and got quoted £60 for the same thing.
Not sure on health cert, someone maybe along later on that, we have been quoted £800 for ours, but they do everything for us, apart from the $30 you may pay at the airport, but that ofcourse depends on the airport that you are going to.

Hope that helps
gill
Old May 28th 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

If you do a search I am sure you will find many posts on people bringing their pets, we bought 3 dogs but used an agent as we didn't want them to come the same time as us as staying in a hotel for first couple days and had too much to sort out plus didn't want to put my dad to too much hassle. Worked out well for us although stuck at airport 3 hours when we collected them as had to wait for customs to clear them. Also will have some fees to pay when collecting them from customs
Old May 28th 2008, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
Hi I just wondered if anyone had flown their dog to Canada. I know what the procedures are (I think) but not too clear on the costs?

E.g vet bills for rabies shot and check up, cost of flying pet and fees when landed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
There are costs in the wiki for customs fee for vacc'd/unvacc'd dogs, approximate cost of rabies vacc. in Canada, approx cost of fitness to fly cert in UK, reported cargo collection fee if not using excess baggage...

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Transporting_Pets
Old May 28th 2008, 3:50 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew two dogs from London to Vanouver last year. It was pretty easy to do and very worthwhile. The flight cost was $250 per dog plus we had to buy cages which was about 150 pounds for the 2. The vet bill for rabies and fit to fly came to about 150 pounds.