Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Medical Laboratory Technicians/Technologists in Canada from the UK?

Any Medical Laboratory Technicians/Technologists in Canada from the UK?

Old Apr 22nd 2017, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

reddiola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Medical Laboratory Technicians/Technologists in Canada from the UK?

Hi Guys,

This is my first post and I have been reading this forum for some time now.

Firstly, I would like to introduce myself a bit. We have been (myself, my husband with 2 kids, 16 and 10) contemplating moving to Canada, and as you know, it is best to gather as much information as possible to have a clearer picture. We have been living in the UK since 2003, but were born in Poland, so we know what it takes to start a life in a new country. This move will definitely be a different one for several reasons. At the moment, we haven't definitely decided yet, whether we will be moving to Canada or not, and a lot will depend on our trip to Toronto in July. We are fortunate enough to have friends living nearby Toronto, who are willing to spend time with us and answer our questions, but it is also nice to have a wider community to contact, so the answers are from different point of views.

Another very important factor, and a major one, is obviously being able to find employment, what brings me to the point of my post. I have searched the forum for posts related to Medical Laboratory Technologist/Technician and UK close equivalent- Biomedical Scientist jobs, but have found no valuable information there. I wonder if anybody had any experience in this field and could enlighten me if I would be able to use my qualifications as an entry point to Canada. I have found some info on CSMLS-SCSLM web site, an organisation that regulates the profession in Canada, but I would be really grateful for any personal experiences on the process of transferring from being a Biomedical Scientist in the UK to a Medical Laboratory Technologist/Technician in Canada.

I am sorry for a longish post that hopefully you will be able to understand and I send my thanks in advance for any input.
Reddiola
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 4:37 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Medical Laboratory Technicians/Technologists in Canada from the UK?

Well you've found the relevant website. It gives you information on how to find out if your qualifications are acceptable for you to challenge the exam. You won't be able to just transfer qualifications the exam is a must

https://www.esighteyewear.com/company/about-us

I've not seen any MLS people posting on here. I was an MRT until recently
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Medical Laboratory Technicians/Technologists in Canada from the UK?

I dont know if your profession is on the Canadian Immigration site. I do know that there is no shortage of biomedical scientists in Ontario.
I obtained a job as a biomedical scientist whilst in the UK with University of Toronto and they sorted my/family immigration.
My suggestion is that you try and get a job before you move. Like the UK north/south divide Canada also has rich and poor provinces. Toronto and surrounding area is equivalent of London (UK).
I had job offers from various provinces, I visited these places and decided to settle in Ontario where I had family.
I found Canada to be great country, I have eastern European neighbors and we get on great. In Canada we are all immigrants and dont see some of the racism of the UK.
I hope this helps. Good luck with your move.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 9:19 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Well you've found the relevant website. It gives you information on how to find out if your qualifications are acceptable for you to challenge the exam. You won't be able to just transfer qualifications the exam is a must

https://www.esighteyewear.com/company/about-us

I've not seen any MLS people posting on here. I was an MRT until recently
Not too sure that a website about eyewear will be of any use to someone wanting to check their elegibility, this is probably where they should start.

CSMLS - SCSLM / Home
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 1:06 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Not too sure that a website about eyewear will be of any use to someone wanting to check their elegibility, this is probably where they should start.

CSMLS - SCSLM / Home
drat. That was the other site I was reading, did you look at those glasses? They can help legally blind people see. Amazing

I'd intended to link to a specific page on the CSMLS site.

CSMLS - SCSLM / Pre-Assessment and Fees
Old Apr 25th 2017, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

reddiola is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you guys for your replies,

I am aware that the exam is inevitable, what I am most interested in is if anybody went through the initial assessment of the degree and portfolio, as the jobs differ a bit. And how long the whole process took place, if they had to undertake any supplementary training or if people just decided to take another route and find employment in a different sector.

During our trip to Toronto we will try to have a chat with potential employers.

At the moment I am trying to determine, if we decide on the move, who is going to be the primary applicant, what my options might be.

In response to geoff52, personally I haven't come across any racism towards myself or my immediate family while in the UK, although I must admit, we felt very awkward immediately after referendum, even our neighbours shied away for a week or two and avoided any contact wit us. All is good at the moment. But it is still not very pleasant to think, that for many brits we are not really welcomed, as immigration was the primary reason to vote leave. I have read that more than 50% of residents in Toronto have not been born in Canada at all, so there definitely has to be a different attitude towards immigrants.
At the moment I can't wait until I will be able to have a feel of Canada myself!