Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

3 months in the UK - phone plan?

3 months in the UK - phone plan?

Old Dec 6th 2017, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 months in the UK - phone plan?

So, a friend is going to the UK for a 3 month trip. She has a Canadian cell - Iphone something.

Any recommendations about what plan to get in the UK? We've looked at contracts but they are all for 12 months and that is too long. Any help?

I guess she just needs a SIM?

TIA
Old Dec 6th 2017, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 months in the UK - phone plan?

Giffgaff do great SIM-only deals. Think they'll only mail to a UK address, can't remember if you need a UK address and/or credit card to set it up, but I've still got mine (and they don't seem to deactivate the account even though sometimes it's nearly a year between me using it).

[Mods, please delete this bit if it's against any TOS, but if the OP would like a referral I believe both parties benefit. Happy to do so, if that's allowed.]

Another option is to go in to a pound store and pick up a EE (merger of T-Mobile/Orange) SIM. Unlike giffgaff (which I found to my annoyance this summer), you can do inclusive EU roaming from day 1 with EE.

It's worth picking up a SIM card in a pound store because they are "free" ones that support the internet-only offers (which basically means you get more for your money, in terms of free minutes/texts/data).

Giffgaff was still slightly better value for money than EE, as I recall, but there really wasn't much in it.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Just buy a SIM card from anywhere- and buy their bundles.
You can generally pay no more than £10/£15 a month for several gig of data, unlimited calls and texts etc on just a bundle whereby you just buy the sim card (often free when you buy a bundle right away) then you can just do it online- and buy the bundle every 30 days. No contract.
This is assuming their phone is unlocked though I think iPhones usually are.
I brought my iPhone from the UK with me in January and I had a contract with EE in the Uk (which I’m still paying!!) and it wasn’t locked so I just bought a sim only contract here.

But buying a bundle is the cheapest and easiest way to do it without being stuck in a contract. Most big providers do the pay-as-you-go bundles cheap enough.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

You can order a Three SIM on eBay and pay 15 pounds a month or something like that for unlimited UK talk/text and 5GB data and free EU roaming. https://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Three-triple...QAAOSwKtlWicjv
Old Dec 7th 2017, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgpz
Giffgaff do great SIM-only deals. Think they'll only mail to a UK address, can't remember if you need a UK address and/or credit card to set it up, but I've still got mine (and they don't seem to deactivate the account even though sometimes it's nearly a year between me using it).

[Mods, please delete this bit if it's against any TOS, but if the OP would like a referral I believe both parties benefit. Happy to do so, if that's allowed.]

Another option is to go in to a pound store and pick up a EE (merger of T-Mobile/Orange) SIM. Unlike giffgaff (which I found to my annoyance this summer), you can do inclusive EU roaming from day 1 with EE.

It's worth picking up a SIM card in a pound store because they are "free" ones that support the internet-only offers (which basically means you get more for your money, in terms of free minutes/texts/data).

Giffgaff was still slightly better value for money than EE, as I recall, but there really wasn't much in it.
It's official... I've been away from the UK for too long...I have no idea who these companies are... lol
Old Dec 7th 2017, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy a SIM from WH Smith when you land. I didn't shop around, but the one I bought was EE and was good for about 30 days. Lots of data and minutes. Way more than I could use in 30 days. You can buy more data and minutes as needed, and extend pay for another month or however much you need. I paid £10 for 100 International minutes as well.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd second GiffGaff. When ever I check, they cannot be beaten on price or terms and conditions.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Thx all, much appreciated