Reload this Page >

Open University - Social Work - Toronto

Open University - Social Work - Toronto

Old Dec 4th 2017, 9:12 am
Just Joined

RyanG17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Open University - Social Work - Toronto

Hi All,

I am finishing up my social work degree with the Open Uni in the UK. I plan to move to Canada and practice SW there. Does anyone have any experience of transferring Open Uni qualifications to Canada?

Cheers,

Ryan
Old Dec 4th 2017, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

RGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open University - Social Work - Toronto

No idea about social work specifically, but my academic OU degree was accepted by WES. I've never had any instances where my OU degree has been questioned.

Your issue won't really be 'Will they see the OU as a real university?' and more 'Is my profession regulated and how will my degree fit into that?'
Old Dec 4th 2017, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RGH80
No idea about social work specifically, but my academic OU degree was accepted by WES. I've never had any instances where my OU degree has been questioned.

Your issue won't really be 'Will they see the OU as a real university?' and more 'Is my profession regulated and how will my degree fit into that?'
Also, on what visa/status are you planning to move here?

As you mention Toronto in the thread title, this may be useful to read:
https://www.ocswssw.org/registration...ll-applicants/

Only Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada can practise social work or social service work in Ontario, unless authorized under Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. If you don’t meet these requirements, you must provide the College with further information with your application form. The College may contact you for further information.

Immigration and Refugee Protection Act

If you are authorized to practise social work or social service work under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, you must submit a copy of your valid work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada with your application form.

After a review of your work permit, if the Registrar is satisfied that the other requirements for registration have been met, the Registrar may propose to issue a certificate of registration with terms, conditions and limitations (TCL). The TCL may impose, among other things, an expiry date and other conditions on the certificate similar to those set out in your work permit. In these circumstances, the Registrar may issue a certificate of registration with TCL, provided that you have consented to the TCL.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

ShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond repute

I have a UK social work qualification. I moved to Canada last year and currently work as an Assistant Professor of Social Work in a Canadian University. In addition to the necessary immigration/work permit requirements, you will also have to get your degree assessed for equivalency, as it is an international qualification. Also (for the most part- there are a few exceptions), practising as a social worker in Canada requires that you be registered with the respective provincial/territories regulator in which you intend to reside/work. Similarly to home, social work is a protected title and requires registration to practice. It is broadly not dissimilar from requirements of social work regulators in the UK and Ireland- HCPC, NISCC, SSSC, SCW or CORU- depending on where you are located.

You mentioned Ontario so I had a look at OCSWSSW requirements. Before you can apply to register, you will have to have your degree assessed by CASW before you can apply to register. (not WES- I believe that's for immigration/permanent residency requirements!).

I am currently having my degree evaluated as I would like to register with my provincial body. For the CASW process, basically you complete a very brief form (downloadable from the link below). You need your university to send CASW a verification form which confirms you completed your degree with them, and also your degree transcript (the certificate with all the modules on the programme). They will not accept the transcipt from you- I had to post mine home to the university, so that they can post it back to Canada!

CASW also require some information about the modules you took, including your placements. This can be submitted by you or the university. As you are near qualifying hold onto any copies of your module specifications as this will be useful. Imagine my dilemma- I qualified in 1997, so I had to get my university to dig out module specs from over 20 years ago!

It costs $339 ($20 extra if you want your documentation returned).

However you need to consider which province/territory you are moving to, as this will determine the process of registration, so if you change your mind it may be different: While getting your degree evaluated will be the first step, and is a prerequisite for registration in most parts of Canada, CASW accreditation does not apply in Quebec or British Columbia.

https://casw-acts.ca/en/about-casw/w...al-credentials
Old Dec 7th 2017, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

ShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to add; while I'm not aware of your mode of study, CASW does not assess degrees obtained through distance education or self-study/correspondence work.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 11:33 am
Just Joined

RyanG17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Shirley thank is very helpful.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 2:31 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShirleyEB
. You need your university to send CASW a verification form which confirms you completed your degree with them, and also your degree transcript (the certificate with all the modules on the programme). They will not accept the transcipt from you- I had to post mine home to the university, so that they can post it back to Canada!

<snip>Imagine my dilemma- I qualified in 1997, so I had to get my university to dig out module specs from over 20 years ago!
Thread drifting a bit, this seems a uniquely Canadian bureaucratic nuance .... A transcript is required for everything and it must come directly from the University etc, it can't be the copy you have to hand already.

Some years ago I did a MBA (At the same institution you now work for) and since this was oh, 20 years or more, since my undergraduate I was S-O-L when it came to getting any course information to allow me any kind of advanced standing. So I had to take some basic courses while shiny new BComms who knew nothing about anything in the real world, advanced to the second year directly. Not at all annoying.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
it can't be the copy you have to hand already.
The transcript I have is not a 'copy', it is the 'official' transcript issued by the university and it is acceptable for me to return it to the university, so they do not have to reproduce the exact same thing & charge me for it. I have been talking to the university lol!