Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 questions from a just landed newbie

2 questions from a just landed newbie

Old May 25th 2012, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road
Default 2 questions from a just landed newbie

1. Am I just shopping in the wrong places or are paracetamol and ibruprofen just ridiculously expensive in Canada?

2. What is the supermarket hierarchy in Ontario? I shopped at Loblaws the other day and it seemed quite pricey, is Sobeys pricier?

I can see most of you shaking your heads at this thread thinking 'typical newbie, she'll learn'

Many thanks

Leish
Old May 25th 2012, 12:15 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 questions from a just landed newbie

Originally Posted by Lvh76
1. Am I just shopping in the wrong places or are paracetamol and ibruprofen just ridiculously expensive in Canada?

2. What is the supermarket hierarchy in Ontario? I shopped at Loblaws the other day and it seemed quite pricey, is Sobeys pricier?

I can see most of you shaking your heads at this thread thinking 'typical newbie, she'll learn'

Many thanks

Leish
1. The latter
2. Groceries are expensive in Canada unless you go all pikey and use coupons and flyers and spend all day going from shop to shop.
Old May 25th 2012, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tangram
1. The latter
2. Groceries are expensive in Canada unless you go all pikey and use coupons and flyers and spend all day going from shop to shop.
Thanks Paul. I really don't think I have the patience to go all pikey so i'll just have to get used to it. How long is it before you stop comparing stuff to UK prices?
Old May 25th 2012, 12:32 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Paul. I really don't think I have the patience to go all pikey so i'll just have to get used to it. How long is it before you stop comparing stuff to UK prices?
I stopped a couple of years ago as I had no idea what prices were back in the UK and I was using prices ( tyres, car service etc ) that I was used to 5 years ago so not a fair comparison. Now I just think it's expensive in dollars without the comparison.
Old May 25th 2012, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

They are if you buy small packets of brand name versions. Rexall sell plastic bottles of own brand generic ibuprofen at much more reasonable prices though.

Edit: and, if you want cheaper groceries, then go to one of No Frills or Food Basics. They're the downmarket brands for Sobeys and Metro but sell much of the same stuff for around 20% less than the higher end stores. I tend to get my staples from there and then go to nice places (e.g. St Lawrence Market) for the nice stuff.

Last edited by dgagitw; May 25th 2012 at 2:02 pm.
Old May 25th 2012, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Costco has great prices on pharmaceuticals and lots of other things. You still have to compare prices though. Watch for their weekly specials.
Old May 25th 2012, 2:10 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks

Leish
1: Dunno, I just get them from the supermarket for a few bucks?

2: Loblaws and Sobeys branded stores on a par, but Loblaws itself, and Sobeys own a number of brands across a broad spectrum. I shop at "No Frills", the bottom feeder of the Loblaws family. You get Loblaws "presidents choice" products in a less fancy environment, you have to bag your own stuff, but its probably 20+% cheaper overall If I had to guess if you shop smart.
Old May 25th 2012, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

richardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud of

After living here for five years M&S seems like a bargain!!!
Old May 25th 2012, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Hi,

I would agree with the above posters...No Frills wins price wise. I've found it difficult to do a weekly shop in one place. I tend to get the basics at No Frills (the fruit and veg is good quality) and top up locally.
Shopping took ages at first as I had to read all the labels...beware of hidden sugars.

Overall, I think it evens out compared to the UK. We quickly stopped thinking in pounds as we get paid in dollars but I do miss being able to pop to the local convenience store for a cheap bottle of wine. You have to plan to go to LCBO and the prices still smart...
Old May 25th 2012, 3:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
1: Dunno, I just get them from the supermarket for a few bucks?
That is 'ridiculously expensive' by UK standards though Iaink - 16p for a packet here!
Old May 25th 2012, 4:57 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Paracetamols - get family/friends to bring them over for you - 16p a packet or get someone to post them out to you like they did for us and still do for my OH - OR stock up when you visit the US.
During the 2nd world war my mums Canadian cousins used to send my mum and her family food parcels to keep them going. When we moved over, it was my mum sending us food parcels from the UK to keep us going! How times change
Old May 25th 2012, 5:17 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Safeway is usually the cheapest place for pharmacy stuff, plus you get airmiles.

Metro is usually considered the cheapest in Ontario. Personally I preferred Longo's. Loblaw's (aka Canadian Superstore) basically copies Tesco's and Asda and is sort of a mix of the two. Sobey's (Empire) is to my mind more like Waitrose, but it depends on the store to some extent.

All I know is a gallon of Tropicana costs $7.49 in Loblaw's, in Sobey's it's $8.99.

Shopping in Canada is more of a shop around experience, you might be able to get everything from one supermarket in the UK, I've never been able to do that here. Certain stores have better deals and better discounts on certain items.

Also, find a decent butcher, I don't think any of the supermarkets do too well in that dept. although Loblaw's seems to be the best, here at least.
Old May 25th 2012, 5:21 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgagitw
Rexall sell plastic bottles of own brand generic ibuprofen at much more reasonable prices though.
I personally think Rexall's is the priciest, at least the ones here are. Shopper's Drug Mart is also pretty expensive. London Drugs (which isn't in Ontario) is also pricey but they give discounts if you buy enough.

I eventually figured out why people shop in Safeway even though I can't stand the place usually - they have the best prices on pharmacy stuff, generally speaking. Also their loyalty scheme is one of the better ones. I don't bother because I don't fly a lot so airmiles don't help me.
Old May 25th 2012, 5:23 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by iaink
you have to bag your own stuff
Don't bag stuff even in Superstore here.
Old May 25th 2012, 5:24 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

All I know is a gallon of Tropicana costs $7.49 in Loblaw's, in Sobey's it's $8.99.
In "No Frills" its often $5 or less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.