Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is $125k enough to live well in Toronto

Is $125k enough to live well in Toronto

Old Aug 25th 2016, 7:09 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is $125k enough to live well in Toronto

Originally Posted by Shard
As in prohibition ? Or it just turns out that way ? How strange.
As in prohibition. People find it hard to imagine what an incredibly unsophisticated place Toronto was in the 1980's (or perhaps they don't). But by then, most city Wards had voted to abandon "dry" status. The area west of Keele and south of Bloor was a very late convert to the idea that having a glass of wine with a meal was not the work of the devil.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 7:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sdh199
Thanks everyone, especially for the links. Swansea / high park area is where we were thinking beforehand. A few of the guys from work cycle in from around there and recommend it too. Can't find many rental properties coming up there though which suggests its in high demand.

We're going to ask for a bit more as 50% of income on housing doesn't leave much for anything else in my book, and it currently feels like a pay cut in real terms. Thanks again, fingers crossed..
It *is* a paycut in real terms of they're offering you $50k less than you're on now. Not sure who told you that the cost of living would be cheaper in Canada but it's not true, the general consensus on the forum is that it's the same as in the UK (some things cheaper but others more expensive so it evens out). Ignore the website numbeo if you've found that, as its notoriously inaccurate! Here's our Wiki article on the subject - Cost of Living in Canada : British Expat Wiki

So yes, I'd go back to them and tell them you want your salary matched at the very least (that's assuming they are paying every relocation cost too).

Good luck.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 7:26 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
As in prohibition. People find it hard to imagine what an incredibly unsophisticated place Toronto was in the 1980's (or perhaps they don't). But by then, most city Wards had voted to abandon "dry" status. The area west of Keele and south of Bloor was a very late convert to the idea that having a glass of wine with a meal was not the work of the devil.
Absolutely bizarre. I had no idea about that. Surprised you stayed!
Old Aug 25th 2016, 12:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely bizarre. I had no idea about that. Surprised you stayed!
Alcohol sales are still treated bizarrely in Ontario. As mentioned, I've been drinking Pride for a long time. I've struggled with various shortages caused by repackaging and the apparent need to sell all the single cans in Ontario before selling the same cans in groups of four. I have a dozen bottles or so at home but then that's it, it's just become too difficult to buy it.

The latest nonsense is that this month it doesn't come in cans at the Liquor Control Board shops but in bottles a shop called the Beer Store. The Beer Store is incredibly badly set up for selling beer. At least it is if you want a specific beer, if you want a case of Bud Lite but will settle for Coors Lite, as the locals do, then it's set up for that. The Beer Store has carts but they're set up for cases, Pride is sold in single bottles so, for me, the process of acquisition for two dozen is:

- drive the 30 miles to the Beer Store
- get cart
- place bottles on it individually, building a stack
- wheel cart delicately to till
- lift each bottle on to the system of rollers designed for cases
- move each bottle along individually as the previous customer is dealt with
- unload each bottle back into delicate pile on cart
- wheel cart to door, not down kerb as pile is too delicate
- carry bottles three or four at a time to the car
- drive home, have a cognac.

Gah, nothing makes me feel that I'm living beyond the end of civilization more than trying to buy beer or wine here. Where else in the world would you carry twenty cans of beer to the till on a rainy day and be handed the cans, packed in a paper bag?

Still, in the 80s all alcohol was sold by the customer writing a note and passing it through a hole in the wall, a plain package was handed back. Some stores continued to use that method until much more recently. There was also a regulation about having to buy "a meal" in order to have a drink so there was a plate of chips on the bar and everyone bought that plate. And then, a drink could only be a tiny amount, four ounces of beer iirc, so it was usual to order "a tray" each and to have four dozen glasses on the table.

Apart from being dry, the other reason for avoiding the west end was the smell from the abattoir. I had a job in the High Park slaughterhouse, the car stank to high heaven after driving through the gut slop in the car park.

Toronto, still Hogtown really.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 12:48 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to google something on the dry neighbourhoods but couldn't find a good definitive article. This was in relation to East York which used to be entirely dry, and directly led to a proliferation of boozers and restaurants on the Danforth (in Toronto) where the whole of East York would troop down to for a beer. But then the beaches (also Toronto) were also dry for a while, so I wondered where the dividing line was?

I guess if you're rural you have no choice of beer store. My local one is a proper walk in so you can peruse and choose what you want. I avoid the ones where you choose your poison from a chart on the wall and a 2-4 of pssiwater comes back through the hatch. They did have free fold-out cardboard carriers that would take 8 cans or bottles; maybe you should stock up in a beer store next time you're in TO. Or invest in some other bottle/ can transportation- LCBO's often have old cardboard wine cases available.

Reminds me. The feathers does pride on draught (albeit keg draught). So if you;'re ever in the east end and have washed the smell of slaughtered pig off you...

Originally Posted by dbd33
Alcohol sales are still treated bizarrely in Ontario. As mentioned, I've been drinking Pride for a long time. I've struggled with various shortages caused by repackaging and the apparent need to sell all the single cans in Ontario before selling the same cans in groups of four. I have a dozen bottles or so at home but then that's it, it's just become too difficult to buy it.

The latest nonsense is that this month it doesn't come in cans at the Liquor Control Board shops but in bottles a shop called the Beer Store. The Beer Store is incredibly badly set up for selling beer. At least it is if you want a specific beer, if you want a case of Bud Lite but will settle for Coors Lite, as the locals do, then it's set up for that. The Beer Store has carts but they're set up for cases, Pride is sold in single bottles so, for me, the process of acquisition for two dozen is:

- get cart

Gah, nothing makes me feel that I'm living beyond the end of civilization more than trying to buy beer or wine here. Where else in the world would you carry twenty cans of beer to the till on a rainy day and be handed the cans, packed in a paper bag?

Still, in the 80s all alcohol was sold by the customer writing a note and passing it through a hole in the wall, a plain package was handed back. Some stores continued to use that method until much more recently. There was also a regulation about having to buy "a meal" in order to have a drink so there was a plate of chips on the bar and everyone bought that plate. And then, a drink could only be a tiny amount, four ounces of beer iirc, so it was usual to order "a tray" each and to have four dozen glasses on the table.

Apart from being dry, the other reason for avoiding the west end was the smell from the abattoir. I had a job in the High Park slaughterhouse, the car stank to high heaven after driving through the gut slop in the car park.

Old Aug 25th 2016, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

- get cart

Is London Pride, bottled months ago and then shipped via boat? to Canada/Toronto really that great on this side of the ocean.?

The local beer market has improved in many ways in that fresh, flavourful beer brewed in Ontario or other parts of Canada are readily available. Granted, the same convuluted way you describe to get the beer is required but at the end of the day you're not buying somewhat stale beer.

For me, beer is best consumed close to where it is brewed and not subject to lots of transportation.

FullerÂ’s London Pride (Pasteurised)

Years ago, Old Peculier was one of my go to beers in the UK. The imported bottles we got in Canada were nowhere near as good.

Are you sure that the way to sell beer and alcohol in Ontario in the 80's was like that. I moved here in 1981 to Toronto as a 17 year old and don't recall it that way then and I got the impression self serve had been around a few years. This website indicates that self serve started in 1969.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquor...ard_of_Ontario

I'm not defending the Beer Store and the LCBO but the system is improving and to be totally honest, London Pride is a niche beer and if the system was totally free market, most places would just sell swill that is in the top 10 and there would be a few niche stores that would not always sell London Pride.

Unfortunately, consumer tastes are pretty dire as mass produced euro swill type lagers are very popular on both sides of the ocean.

Last edited by Partially discharged; Aug 25th 2016 at 1:12 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 1:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I guess if you're rural you have no choice of beer store.

Reminds me. The feathers does pride on draught (albeit keg draught). So if you;'re ever in the east end and have washed the smell of slaughtered pig off you...

I was looking to buy beer in Guelph, the nearest shop that had some was in Georgetown, neither location is really rural.

I know the Feathers passably, having lived nearby for a long time. There was a regular there who had been in the print and is now a skiffle player. He once had a Morris Marina, beige it was, he towed a caravan with it. Drinking in the Feathers always made me think of On the Busses - English but not especially the English one wants.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 1:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Is London Pride, bottled months ago and then shipped via boat? to Canada/Toronto really that great on this side of the ocean.?
I like it.

Are you sure that the way to sell beer and alcohol in Ontario in the 80's was like that. I moved here in 1981 to Toronto as a 17 year old ...
Yes. I for sure didn't make that up. It was well beyond my imagination that such a system existed. The LCBO shops were like the Beer Stores Pizzawheel describes except that, in the Beer Store, you can speak the name of the product and it's allowed to be visibly labeled.

I'm surprised you were 17 in 1981, btw, I'd thought you more mature.

I'm not defending the Beer Store and the LCBO but the system is improving and to be totally honest, London Pride is a niche beer and if the system was totally free market, most places would just sell swill that is in the top 10 and there would be a few niche stores that would not always sell London Pride.
Pride is freely available across the US. I bought some in rural Utah.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 1:45 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

TBH, I had never known about 'Fullers London pride ale', got me on a beer store search, its available at the one near me for $3.50 bottle.

Next time I'm out I'll pick up two bottles one each for my daughter - at the $3.50 x 2 spend. Maybe our daughter will pick up the tab

Would you suggest drinking it refrigerated cold or at room temperature?
Old Aug 25th 2016, 1:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It's such an embarrassingly antiquated distribution system. You would think that the big brewing companies could lobby the government and whip up some public support to dismantle the LCBO and normalise retail sales.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 1:48 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by not2old
TBH, I had never known about 'Fullers London pride ale', got me on a beer store search, its available at the one near me for $3.50 bottle.

Next time I'm out I'll pick up two bottles one each for my daughter - at the $3.50 x 2 spend. Maybe our daughter will pick up the tab

Would you suggest drinking it refrigerated cold or at room temperature?
Just deduct the amount from her weekly brown envelope.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 1:59 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Just deduct the amount from her weekly brown envelope.

Which BTW both children are both very pleased with the frequent 'brown envelopes'

On the ale purchase, she'd expect me to pay, just because it was my idea.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:18 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

It's such an embarrassingly antiquated distribution system. You would think that the big brewing companies could lobby the government and whip up some public support to dismantle the LCBO and normalise retail sales.
The LCBO is the biggest buyer of alcohol in the world.

Do the big brewing companies want their best customer dismantled?

It's the small brewers (and wineries) who hate having to deal with the government to try and get their product distributed.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:21 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by JamesM
The LCBO is the biggest buyer of alcohol in the world.

Do the big brewing companies want their best customer dismantled?

It's the small brewers (and wineries) who hate having to deal with the government to try and get their product distributed.
Depends on whether they could increase sales to the end consumer by having more widespread distribution. LCBO does seem create a bit of a bottleneck.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 3:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I for sure didn't make that up. It was well beyond my imagination that such a system existed. The LCBO shops were like the Beer Stores Pizzawheel describes except that, in the Beer Store, you can speak the name of the product and it's allowed to be visibly labeled.
I can also confirm that my nearest LCBO (the one on Dundas near the intersection with Bloor) was exactly as you describe during the whole of my first period of Toronto residency (1982-86).

As you know, I didn't arrive fresh off the boat from the UK, but after 5 years in Southern California where buying booze was a 24/7 thing from supermarkets, gas stations, convenience stores and speciality shops.

I spent Christmas Day in 1981 sunning myself in the garden drinking G&T with a slice of lime picked from our tree there. Christmas Day 1982 was rather different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.