Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Saddest thing about BE...

Saddest thing about BE...

Old Aug 1st 2009, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Saddest thing about BE...

Forget the bickering about what is worse, the Uk or Australia. It's a personal thing.

The thing I find almost breathtaking, head-shakeningly sad is the fact that people who are negative or unhappy/ have a less than impressed view with their lot in a country....cannot believe that others may be happy in the same place..when they have a different life. It's possible, inevitable even...

and furthermore, this forms the basis of their view/argument.

Never ceases to amaze me...
Old Aug 1st 2009, 12:59 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saddest thing about BE...

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Forget the bickering about what is worse, the Uk or Australia. It's a personal thing.

The thing I find almost breathtaking, head-shakeningly sad is the fact that people who are negative or unhappy/ have a less than impressed view with their lot in a country....cannot believe that others may be happy in the same place..when they have a different life. It's possible, inevitable even...

Oh Badge. surely the whole polarized view thing is part and parcel of BE?
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:03 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

My favourite is the "you only pretend to enjoy it" lot

The "the UK has gone to the dogs" crowd do my head in too.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:04 am
ABCDiamond

Can't help but agree with that statement, but having been in those shoes myself, I can actually understand their logic.
I no longer agree with it of course, but sometimes I wince when I compare what I was like to some people that are now very similar to what I was like some 10+ years ago.

Maybe that is why I am now the way I am; I have been round the corner, and seen that nothing is actually black and white after all.

Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:10 am
aka bunja

Off2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:12 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

All we can do is share our collective life experience of migrating and hope that everyone finds what they are looking for, no matter where they end up I guess.

I have a polarised view and I know that. But I try to be accepting of the fact that some people hate it whereas I am happy here. Doesn't always pan out that way, but I have a genuine best wishes for anyone who tries their luck migrating no matter the outcome.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Oh Badge. surely the whole polarized view thing is part and parcel of BE?
Yes - I have no issue with polarisation of opinion. What I find incredible is that people won't believe that others might have a better situation than themselves..in any country and that, ipso facto, they are wrong.

I believe that other people are better off in the UK.

I believe that others don't like Australia - and living like they do, would have the same opinion.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kporte
My favourite is the "you only pretend to enjoy it" lot

The "the UK has gone to the dogs" crowd do my head in too.
Indeed.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:34 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean, with this subject people seem to get over defensive of their right to express their views while simultaneously failing to respect the views of others. Strange really.

Both the UK and Australia are great countries but they do have different pros and cons that push different buttons for different people.

...But I know where I want to be.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
I know what you mean, with this subject people seem to get over defensive of their right to express their views while simultaneously failing to respect the views of others. Strange really.
Noone on BE has ever provided an explanation or been able to expand on a neat philosophy of this!! Lucid explanations get lost in the noise.. It's a utter joke for the old timers..and blows many arguments out of the water..
it's why I'd rather people focus on their opinions without trying to blow up others..a few words each paragraph would calm things down considerably. I also think that some posters at particular stages are likely to post in a particular way, and that allowances can be made for this without outcry and derision.

But it is not a surprise.

I also think there are subtle, or not so subtle, underlying explanations for a lot of the common threads on BE, many not particularly nasty, ulterior - or wrong....which do provide some clarity. Over the years I've noticed common strands..patterns..

Speaking for myself, the last 6 years on BE has been interesting and has made me realise how lucky I have been to live in both places - I took for granted that which some have looked for all their lives, and think only exists in one place - and that there are people who would criticise, even get quite angry, about my good fortune in both whatever their situation.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's down to insecurity. Maybe the "I love Oz/I hate Oz" crowd feel the need to have their opinion validated by other people thinking the exact same thing.

Personally I couldn't give a shit if someone doesn't like the UK or Australia, if it doesn't affect me or my own I'm not overly bothered
Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's irritating but it mirrors most arguments down the pub. Don't consider it sad though. People are people, some are dogmatic some aren't. In real life it's easier to have nothing to do with people so with such opposed views to your own. On any discussion forum it's not.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
I think it's down to insecurity. Maybe the "I love Oz/I hate Oz" crowd feel the need to have their opinion validated by other people thinking the exact same thing.

Personally I couldn't give a shit if someone doesn't like the UK or Australia, if it doesn't affect me or my own I'm not overly bothered
Insecurity...but that is also a loaded word...because then we are likely to blow ourselves up in discussing who is insecure - and then who is the most insecure...and those who point the finger will see many fingers pointing back...and that is before we even establish from which viewpoint people are posting...(aha!)

As to your second point, it does bothers me because I hate to see sad people..people making mistakes..it probably stems from leadership roles and responsibility for people I have had in the past...a certain atavistic quality, it makes me feel guilty..although there is a certain relief too, of course. I can see the train approaching the level crossing, (again) but I'm on not it..

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Aug 1st 2009 at 2:20 am.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:27 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is what it's all about. Imagine several of each type in the same room together at the same time. Considering it this way, it's amazing how harmonious BE actually is

BTW, I like the approaching train on a level crossing analogy, Badge. Others see it too. It's often signalled by comments like: "Popcorn anyone?"
Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:40 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I agree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.