Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Qantas Perth - London non stop from 2018

Qantas Perth - London non stop from 2018

Old Dec 12th 2016, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas Perth - London non stop from 2018

Originally Posted by Pollyana

I've put me hatred ofDubai on here many times!

I don't do stopovers, my limited leave time is too precious, just get me to where I want to be.
I'm not a fan either. Useless. The only thing good about that airport is the Qantas Lounge. Give me Singa's any day.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 8:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I'm not a fan either. Useless. The only thing good about that airport is the Qantas Lounge. Give me Singa's any day.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 8:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Dubai airport is hell on earth. I'd rather go through Brunei where there's **** all other than a couple of seats and a cafe that may or may not be open. I was quite surprised how shit Hong Kong was as well. Stupidly thought/hoped it would be similar to Changi.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Dubai airport is hell on earth. I'd rather go through Brunei where there's **** all other than a couple of seats and a cafe that may or may not be open. I was quite surprised how shit Hong Kong was as well. Stupidly thought/hoped it would be similar to Changi.
Changi is growing BTW. New terminals, new runway.

Meanwhile, the new Abu Dhabi construction is motoring along. Good for Ethiad lovers.

Old Dec 12th 2016, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
One problem I can see is if there is a need for a diversion. Heading North, towards the end of the flight it will be over Europe so lots of diversion options. Heading South, the final part of the flight will be over the Indian Ocean, so not many options - Exmouth, maybe Jakarta
That's an interesting thought. When I fly from Dub to Syd you skirt the southern tip of India, then Colombo then the edge of Australia up the WA coast. Seems to be a lot of water from Colombo to Australia with no exit point.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 9:33 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

The purpose for a company to use business class on long haul is so their staff can arrive there fresh, ready to roll, but when the cost difference of business class v economy far exceeds the cost of an extra night in a hotel to recover, then the hotel option is preferred.
I think the limiting factor in some cases is simply time... and the Mon-Fri business week. I certainly agree that an extra night would be heaps cheaper, but the constraints of the working week - coupled with long-haul distances - might not always give companies the luxury of time.

Interestingly the biggest cost to airlines is fuel and most fuel is consumed on take off. If Qantas can charge the same for a 0 stopper and a 1 stopper, Perth London, they are going to save money.
To be honest those were my first thoughts as well, but apparently the opposite is the case as someone posted elsewhere: "This is not true. It requires more fuel for an ultra long haul nonstop flight than having a fuel stop midway. To do it non-stop you need to carry all the extra fuel to go the full distance which adds a lot of extra weight, which requires more fuel to transport, which in turn adds extra weight, which requires more fuel to transport, ... This also significantly reduces the cargo capacity, which makes it less economically viable."

If you think about it, for those ultra long-haul flights that reach the maximum distance you are looking at taking on 100,000 kg of fuel. The fuel alone would weigh about 2.5-3x as much as all passengers and their luggage!
Old Dec 12th 2016, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Yeah, I saw that. It read to me as US airlines trying to excuse their terrible service by saying that their asian competitors (who are fast encroaching on US business) would have to give up being a good at service and decline to US airline standards. I doubt it - who the hell is going to be first to get rid of the wine and seat back TVs?

Someone somewhere must have the stats on business tickets sold?

Try this on for size:

https://si.wsj.net/public/resources/...0527115106.jpg

Nah, my point is the cost isn't always what you think. For instance, I remember a scenario where me and the customer were going around the world, stopping in at various places. His travel people got him a quote on economy tickets for x amount. My travel people were more on the ball and found a business class ticket, for the same route (but stopping in Singas), for less than the economy ticket price. He got onto his travel people, shouted, and got them to get the same ticket.

Business class tickets have the expectation of flexibility and late booking worked into them, economy costs extra for that

As I say, depends on who's paying, .... and the £2k extra can be worth it when the consequence of the reason for the meeting can have many more zeros in it.
I'd be happy to get rid of entertainment on ac: I take a good book. Always makes me laugh to see all the drones binging on movies starting them as soon as they board practically! This screen time is an obsession..
Old Dec 12th 2016, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'd be happy to get rid of entertainment on ac: I take a good book. Always makes me laugh to see all the drones binging on movies starting them as soon as they board practically! This screen time is an obsession..
I've never been called a drone before. . I use long haul for exactly that purpose. Drone out with a couple of Mrs T's Bloody Mary's
Old Dec 12th 2016, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would anyone care how someone else passes the time on a flight?
Old Dec 12th 2016, 10:50 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Always makes me laugh to see all the drones binging on movies starting them as soon as they board practically! This screen time is an obsession..
There comes a day when the only time you get to watch an entire film - let alone 3-in-a-row - is on a long-haul flight.

On top of that you get new releases, and on some airlines you get a lot of regional options - so on Singapore Airlines for instance you might get to see some interesting Japanese or Korean productions that would be hard to bump into elsewhere.

Frankly for me it's wine (lots of it) & films as soon as we're up, and then shut-eye once the body needs to regenerate.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 11:12 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I wouldn't say that is strictly true. Prior ULR models have not been commercially successful...not the 772LR and especially not the A340-500. And airlines which bought these, then found they couldn't make any money with them and tried to sell them find they have no buyers. Presumably the 787 and 359 will be more efficient, you'd expect that...but they will be still at the mercy of fuel prices to quite a degree.
Agree about the 500 (4 engines and a design that really is not the best - apparently the 200 and 300 models have genuine performance issues) but not the 200LR. It was being delivered until very recently and is currently being used from the middle-east to the west coast of America, Atlanta to Johannesburg and Emirates are soon starting a service to Panama - just under 14k kms - with a full passenger and freight load
Old Dec 12th 2016, 11:40 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
There comes a day when the only time you get to watch an entire film - let alone 3-in-a-row - is on a long-haul flight.

On top of that you get new releases,
Yeah, only problem is they are generally cut to b*ggery to fit in with what the airline thinks is acceptable. And it's not just to get the classification down, watching "Iron Man 3" on a flight there was a massive jump in the cut - one moment they were onboard a plane, the next they were on the ground. The whole "people getting blasted out of the aircraft and then caught by Iron Man" bit got deleted ..... for some reason, can't imagine why ...

I'm flying again for christmas and intend to try out the Netflix 'download to your tablet' option, coupled with some stored MP4 movies and TV. I can always fall back on an eBook.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 12:15 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Emirates are soon starting a service to Panama
I'll believe it when it happens! It was announced well over a year ago and was supposed to start 10 months ago. And it's still not bookable for future dates. I reckon it was a publicity stunt.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 12:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

One problem I can see is if there is a need for a diversion. Heading North, towards the end of the flight it will be over Europe so lots of diversion options. Heading South, the final part of the flight will be over the Indian Ocean, so not many options - Exmouth, maybe Jakarta
LAN is starting MEL to Santiago, Chile next year...that looks even more interesting!

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MEL-SCL
Old Dec 13th 2016, 12:53 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Not Sydney to London they haven't

May be possible if the new Boeing and Airbus are developed a bit more but not before the mid-2020's in reality. The development costs (which will be significant) will need to be borne out by the potential market for 17k km+ airliners
Fill the cabin with helium and it'll work. At least the air stewards won't sound any different than usual

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.