Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - MCG - -Hotels

Melbourne - MCG - -Hotels

Old Mar 2nd 2014, 4:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne - MCG - -Hotels

I know its a long way ahead but I'm in Melbourne for the England vs Aus game in February as part of the world cup, so I need to book early!
Anyone got personal recommendations/suggestions of hotels - no more than $200-250 a night, reasonable travel distance to the MCG, close to tram/train to travel in and out, but I'd like to be CBD based for late night drinking

Not bothered about posh stuff like spas and breakfast etc, though a bar on the premises would be good!

Previous experience in Melbourne was as a backpacker with rooms dangerously overcrowded (6 in a room licensed for 3) rampant roaches and locked fire escapes - I would like to do better this time!! The last one actually got shut down after I reported them

Of course if anyone can give me Shane Warne's current mobile number I shan't need a hotel....

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 2nd 2014 at 4:23 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 6:51 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne - MCG - -Hotels

The Travelodge is at the city end of Southbank and would be an easy and nice walk to along the river / parklands to the MCG. Melbourne hotels are really not expensive so you could pick a lot of places with that budget.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 7:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Of course if anyone can give me Shane Warne's current mobile number I shan't need a hotel....
I think you would be less likely to catch something from the roach infested firetrap than Shane Warne
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 8:12 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

February next year? A little far ahead for most I'd guess, but if you want to get something good lined up you could always stick some fake details into www.wotif.com and find some possible options in the right price/location range and give them a shout.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 11:35 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed at the Mantra on Little Bourke and they nicked my bottle of red.

Stay anywhere else.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 11:01 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
February next year? A little far ahead for most I'd guess, but if you want to get something good lined up you could always stick some fake details into www.wotif.com and find some possible options in the right price/location range and give them a shout.
Yep, next year, using bookings.com the speed rooms are going for that weekend is scary, guess everyone else is planning ahead too!!
Originally Posted by DeadVim
I stayed at the Mantra on Little Bourke and they nicked my bottle of red.

Stay anywhere else.

Originally Posted by bcworld
The Travelodge is at the city end of Southbank and would be an easy and nice walk to along the river / parklands to the MCG. Melbourne hotels are really not expensive so you could pick a lot of places with that budget.
I'll give it a look, thanks!
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 11:12 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, next year, using bookings.com the speed rooms are going for that weekend is scary, guess everyone else is planning ahead too!!
Might like to consider that a well place, central, hotel, is going to be pretty riotous if fans are in town. Further out, but still on a tram line might be the best bet for being able to get any sleep.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

If you like a walk...The Downunder on Lygon st... Reason being your close to those inner northern burbs that are really interesting and right on the top edge of the city... walk to the G in 20 mins. You'll see a lot more of what is good about Melbourne from this location

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_..._Victoria.html
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:36 am
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

Pollyanna,

If you wait until the new Entertainment Book comes out in May/June and purchase one which will cost you $55 you can get some really good deals through it. We stopped at Crown Metropole last year for $250 per night per room by booking through it plus you get money off lots of places in Melbourne.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 4:41 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
If you like a walk...The Downunder on Lygon st... Reason being your close to those inner northern burbs that are really interesting and right on the top edge of the city... walk to the G in 20 mins. You'll see a lot more of what is good about Melbourne from this location

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_..._Victoria.html

Originally Posted by Laights
Pollyanna,

If you wait until the new Entertainment Book comes out in May/June and purchase one which will cost you $55 you can get some really good deals through it. We stopped at Crown Metropole last year for $250 per night per room by booking through it plus you get money off lots of places in Melbourne.
Now there's a thought.......