British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Melbourne - MCG - -Hotels (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/melbourne-mcg-hotels-827236/)

Pollyana Mar 2nd 2014 4:19 am

Melbourne - MCG - -Hotels

I know its a long way ahead but I'm in Melbourne for the England vs Aus game in February as part of the world cup, so I need to book early!
Anyone got personal recommendations/suggestions of hotels - no more than $200-250 a night, reasonable travel distance to the MCG, close to tram/train to travel in and out, but I'd like to be CBD based for late night drinking :beer:

Not bothered about posh stuff like spas and breakfast etc, though a bar on the premises would be good!

Previous experience in Melbourne was as a backpacker with rooms dangerously overcrowded (6 in a room licensed for 3) rampant roaches and locked fire escapes - I would like to do better this time!! The last one actually got shut down after I reported them :thumbdown:

Of course if anyone can give me Shane Warne's current mobile number I shan't need a hotel.... :whistle:

bcworld Mar 2nd 2014 6:51 am

Re: Melbourne - MCG - -Hotels

The Travelodge is at the city end of Southbank and would be an easy and nice walk to along the river / parklands to the MCG. Melbourne hotels are really not expensive so you could pick a lot of places with that budget.

Dorothy Mar 2nd 2014 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11154360)

Of course if anyone can give me Shane Warne's current mobile number I shan't need a hotel.... :whistle:

I think you would be less likely to catch something from the roach infested firetrap than Shane :sick: Warne

GarryP Mar 2nd 2014 8:12 am

February next year? A little far ahead for most I'd guess, but if you want to get something good lined up you could always stick some fake details into www.wotif.com and find some possible options in the right price/location range and give them a shout.

DeadVim Mar 2nd 2014 11:35 am

I stayed at the Mantra on Little Bourke and they nicked my bottle of red.

Stay anywhere else. :D

Pollyana Mar 2nd 2014 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 11154473)
February next year? A little far ahead for most I'd guess, but if you want to get something good lined up you could always stick some fake details into www.wotif.com and find some possible options in the right price/location range and give them a shout.

Yep, next year, using bookings.com the speed rooms are going for that weekend is scary, guess everyone else is planning ahead too!!

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 11154643)
I stayed at the Mantra on Little Bourke and they nicked my bottle of red.

Stay anywhere else. :D

:lol:

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 11154426)
The Travelodge is at the city end of Southbank and would be an easy and nice walk to along the river / parklands to the MCG. Melbourne hotels are really not expensive so you could pick a lot of places with that budget.

I'll give it a look, thanks!

GarryP Mar 2nd 2014 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11155374)
Yep, next year, using bookings.com the speed rooms are going for that weekend is scary, guess everyone else is planning ahead too!!

Might like to consider that a well place, central, hotel, is going to be pretty riotous if fans are in town. Further out, but still on a tram line might be the best bet for being able to get any sleep.:zzz:

ozzieeagle Mar 3rd 2014 1:35 am

If you like a walk...The Downunder on Lygon st... Reason being your close to those inner northern burbs that are really interesting and right on the top edge of the city... walk to the G in 20 mins. You'll see a lot more of what is good about Melbourne from this location :)

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_..._Victoria.html

Laights Mar 3rd 2014 3:36 am

Pollyanna,

If you wait until the new Entertainment Book comes out in May/June and purchase one which will cost you $55 you can get some really good deals through it. We stopped at Crown Metropole last year for $250 per night per room by booking through it plus you get money off lots of places in Melbourne.

Pollyana Mar 3rd 2014 4:41 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 11155477)
If you like a walk...The Downunder on Lygon st... Reason being your close to those inner northern burbs that are really interesting and right on the top edge of the city... walk to the G in 20 mins. You'll see a lot more of what is good about Melbourne from this location :)

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_..._Victoria.html

:thumbup:

Originally Posted by Laights (Post 11155577)
Pollyanna,

If you wait until the new Entertainment Book comes out in May/June and purchase one which will cost you $55 you can get some really good deals through it. We stopped at Crown Metropole last year for $250 per night per room by booking through it plus you get money off lots of places in Melbourne.

Now there's a thought.......:cool: