Check this out!

Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Check this out!

This is totally amazing!

If you click the link below, a map of the world will come up ( give it time to download ) and on it you can see every aeroplane in the sky right now, in real time. Click any aeroplane you choose and the details about that flight will appear even with a photo of the plane!

This is amazing to keep track on relatives coming or going or even just to use for fun! You can also buy the app, which I did for £1.99 it's well worth it. With the app you can also point your ipad or iphone if you have one to any plane that's flying over and the details will come up all about it.

So if you're a bit of geek like me you will love this!

Hope it proves useful.

Molly.

http://www.flightradar24.com/

Just to add, you can also zoom in and out, move the map about AND get the view from the cockpit in simulator style.

Last edited by Molly Coddle; Jan 21st 2014 at 9:45 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:17 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Check this out!

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
This is totally amazing!

If you click the link below, a map of the world will come up ( give it time to download ) and on it you can see every aeroplane in the sky right now, in real time. Click any aeroplane you choose and the details about that flight will appear even with a photo of the plane!

This is amazing to keep track on relatives coming or going or even just to use for fun! You can also buy the app, which I did for £1.99 it's well worth it. With the app you can also point your ipad or iphone if you have one to any plane that's flying over and the details will come up all about it.

So if you're a bit of geek like me you will love this!

Hope it proves useful.

Molly.

http://www.flightradar24.com/

Just to add, you can also zoom in and out, move the map about AND get the view from the cockpit in simulator style.
Just to point out, it's not EVERY plane, only those with ADS-B transponders (eg the big stuff) and only when in line of sight to a base station (excepting the radar data in the US). Means you won't get every aircraft, and they can disappear if they are low, or a station is out of service.

I've had the Android app for ages now and its great for actually knowing what is happening with a flight - much better than airport information boards. I had a friends flight that had according to the airport information "departed", but I could see it stuck on the ground in the middle of the airport. It only finally got airborne an hour late, which meant a long wait if you'd left for the arrival airport on the strength of the official info.

Oh, and you can get it to look out for 7600/7700 squawks - the emergency codes for things like hijackings. eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IEBJMG1EEo
http://www.avherald.com/h?article=46290f4e&opt=0
Great if you are a reporter.

Last edited by GarryP; Jan 21st 2014 at 10:23 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Just to point out, it's not EVERY plane, only those with ADS-B transponders (eg the big stuff) and only when in line of sight to a base station (excepting the radar data in the US). Means you won't get every aircraft, and they can disappear if they are low, or a station is out of service.
Oh OK, thanks

I've had the Android app for ages now and its great for actually knowing what is happening with a flight - much better than airport information boards. I had a friends flight that had according to the airport information "departed", but I could see it stuck on the ground in the middle of the airport. It only finally got airborne an hour late, which meant a long wait if you'd left for the arrival airport on the strength of the official info.
Yeah, I think it's great for checking flight times, departures and arrivals.

Oh, and you can get it to look out for 7600/7700 squawks - the emergency codes for things like hijackings. eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IEBJMG1EEo
http://www.avherald.com/h?article=46290f4e&opt=0
Wow, that's great! I can't believe the cabin crew got food poisoning

Today when I was having a look, about 5 ish I found three helicopters just off the coast of Aberdeen, they seemed to be together then after a while one flew off across the North Sea. I wasn't even aware it could pick choppers up, until I noticed these little dots with blades on spinning!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:55 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

And this is similar, but different :

http://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-...tion-100-years
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can't look at that!! It's 'The Guardian!' it's been a while since I've sinned!

On a more serious note, it's good but I prefer Flightrader - it's easier to navigate don't you think?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 10:07 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

That looks more like ICBMs launching

S
Old Feb 17th 2014, 6:28 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Oh, and you can get it to look out for 7600/7700 squawks - the emergency codes for things like hijackings.

And look, it seems like some reporter has been using flight radar to get the drop on a hijacking: note the pic used

http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/215...acked-reports/
Old Feb 17th 2014, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

And look, it seems like some reporter has been using flight radar to get the drop on a hijacking: note the pic used

http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/215...acked-reports/

I was reading about this in the paper and wondered about Flightrader....
Old Feb 17th 2014, 10:35 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
I was reading about this in the paper and wondered about Flightrader....
Yep, it was being discussed and tracked way before the news agencies started reporting it, and they were referencing (and effectively nicking) the analysis that those people were doing.

It got me to thinking. I seems reporters of all stripes are much less proactive in getting stories than they once were; and all pretty useless at giving insightful analysis as well. Hell, a lots of the stories basically get written for them in the PR release, or worse.

As such they are pretty much just a 'tick' of approval that the work done elsewhere makes sense - and dumbing down for the plebs. And that doesn't require much at all...
Old Feb 18th 2014, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

It got me to thinking. I seems reporters of all stripes are much less proactive in getting stories than they once were; and all pretty useless at giving insightful analysis as well. Hell, a lots of the stories basically get written for them in the PR release, or worse....

Yeah, they're lazy swines, the internet has a part to play in that I think.