Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Transporting the animals :)

Transporting the animals :)

Old Sep 19th 2016, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Daveditch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transporting the animals :)

Hi, my wife and I now find ourselves in the fortunate position of potentially being able to extend our annual 2 week stay to nearer 4 or 5 months at a go.

One thing however that may prove prohibitive are our three dogs and transporting them. Mainly cost.

Does anyone have any advice, info or experience shipping their dogs ?

I would particularly appreciate recommendations of decent good value companies who could do the job for us.

Its a new one for me and all the companies say how great they are but common sense tells me some may not be as good as others and prices will vary.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 19th 2016, 4:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transporting the animals :)

Budget at least the same cost per dog for airline tickets as you pay for an economy ticket. It wouldn't surprise me if the cost is significantly higher.

Also bear in mind that a dog used to living in the UK, may well struggle in the heat of the Caribbean, and I hear at least one island (not Barbados, that I heard), prohibits the importation of dogs for that reason - they suffer too much in the heat. I would certainly think very hard before bringing one of my furry friends, that is used to temperate weather, to live in the tropics.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 19th 2016 at 5:59 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Daveditch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transporting the animals :)

All the indications are that two of them at least will be fine. I am concerned re the third, the lab and ongoing heat.

However all options are open and in this research phase initial ball park costs suggest premium economy !