Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Citizenship for my daughter

Citizenship for my daughter

Old Sep 19th 2016, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

brassica is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship for my daughter

Hi appreciate some advice.

I got citizenship by descent in 1998 and my Barbados passport earlier this year from high commission in London.
My daughter is 15 years old and I want to take the opportunity also of applying for citizenship and then Barbados passport for her.

Is the citizenship route applicable here as when she was born in 2000 I was a citizen?? I think it does.

Advice from any experts welcomed.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship for my daughter

Are you the father or mother? My understanding is that Barbadian citizenship only passes down the paternal line for citizenship by descent.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 1:27 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

citizenship by decent only goes down one generation.. so you getting that from your parents doesn't pass down to your daughter unless she was born in Barbados (and then of course she has citizenship by birth).

and no, it's not only paternal. . My 2 sisters in law (husbands sisters) have given their children citizenship by decent. there is a Wikipedia section that states "most males".. but this is not correct.. and both foreign men and women married to Barbadians can obtain citizenship as well.

http://www.immigration.gov.bb/pages/Citizenship.aspx I would suggest you read through this and if you have questions call the department for further information.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

I am the father, she was born in the UK to me whilst I was a citizen so she was born to a bajan citizen is my hope.

Nothing I find on the immigration dept web pages makes it clear I will fill the forms in and include my birth certificate, my certificate of citizenship and my Barbados passport and see how I get on face to face in London.

Cheers
Old Sep 20th 2016, 12:30 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

but you stated that you were not born in Barbados.. you received citizenship by decent. so you were not born in Barbados..

it's a little wordy.. and some of the references have been changed.. but this section has not. I can say.. that my nieces and nephews on my husbands side of the family, who were not born in Barbados, but have citizenship by decent, cannot pass on citizenship to their children, unless that child is board in Barbados..

https://www.oas.org/dil/The_Constitu...f_Barbados.pdf

(2) Subject to subsection (1) and without derogating from, or in
any way affecting, that subsection, a person born outside Barbados
after 29th November 1966 shall become a citizen of Barbados at the
date of his birth if at the date of the birth at least one of his parents is a
citizen of Barbados who was born in Barbados.

Barbados: The Constitution of Barbados, 1966 (as amended up to 2007) This is another link found that shows amendments up to 2007.. This particular paragraph has not changed or been amended.

I'm not trying to be difficult.. and please feel free to send your information in.. and let us know the outcome.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sunniebgi. I note what you have quoted

I have always found them to be helpful in London so I will call in with the forms completed and see how it goes and update this thread.

Thanks again
Old Sep 20th 2016, 10:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
but you stated that you were not born in Barbados.. you received citizenship by decent. so you were not born in Barbados..

it's a little wordy.. and some of the references have been changed.. but this section has not. I can say.. that my nieces and nephews on my husbands side of the family, who were not born in Barbados, but have citizenship by decent, cannot pass on citizenship to their children, unless that child is board in Barbados..

https://www.oas.org/dil/The_Constitu...f_Barbados.pdf

(2) Subject to subsection (1) and without derogating from, or in
any way affecting, that subsection, a person born outside Barbados
after 29th November 1966 shall become a citizen of Barbados at the
date of his birth if at the date of the birth at least one of his parents is a
citizen of Barbados who was born in Barbados.

Barbados: The Constitution of Barbados, 1966 (as amended up to 2007) This is another link found that shows amendments up to 2007.. This particular paragraph has not changed or been amended.

I'm not trying to be difficult.. and please feel free to send your information in.. and let us know the outcome.
Thanks for the updated version. It's awkwardly worded but it does appear that citizenship can only be passed down to a single generation born outside Barbados. I'd be interested to know how the OP gets on with the High Commission however.