Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

It feels like we never went...

It feels like we never went...

Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of
Default Re: It feels like we never went...

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
We also wish we had rented and feel that this house has trapped us, to any peeps reading this before they move my only real piece of advice would be not to rush into buying and be really sure you want to make your life there before you do it. I probably wouldn't have listened to this advice though as I really believed at the time that we were in it for the long haul.
$ 13,000 doesnt sound so bad to the $27,000 we were quoted a couple of months ago Hopefully the interest rates will have gone up by the time we sell or maybe the guy at Coast Capital was talking out his arse (well you can dream can't you!)
oh gosh bettyboo67, $27K that is ridiculous isn't it? Yes makes my figure seem cheap! This whole business has been expense expense expense...I totally echo what you say - rent first. We bought because we wanted to be 100% comitted and we did not want the children to be here in a rental on the basis of providing them stability...now 3 years on do I think they would have cared ...no...would I have thought differently then...no, hindsight is a wonderful thing!

hang in there we will get out, are you in for a meet up early November??
Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:14 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
We also wish we had rented and feel that this house has trapped us, to any peeps reading this before they move my only real piece of advice would be not to rush into buying and be really sure you want to make your life there before you do it. I probably wouldn't have listened to this advice though as I really believed at the time that we were in it for the long haul.
$ 13,000 doesnt sound so bad to the $27,000 we were quoted a couple of months ago Hopefully the interest rates will have gone up by the time we sell or maybe the guy at Coast Capital was talking out his arse (well you can dream can't you!)
oh lord - sounds just like me!!
Old Oct 17th 2009, 10:47 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Griff
Thanks Sans
That's really good to hear as I do have times when I think this is an unatainable goal. I just wished we had rented rather than bought - things would be much easier and we would not have lost so much financially. How is life back there - no regrets? Where abouts are you? we will be returning to the Derbyshire area

Elaine
We did rent first .....We hated being in a rental and bought after 5 mths. We thought buying would be cheaper ( it wasn't), we also thought we would be more stable and be able to move on ( It didn't). Three wks after moving in reality set in and the realisation of just how hard it was all going to be for us there, came down on us like a ton of bricks......

It was the $21000 realtor fee's that blew us away In 7 mths our house had sold for $29000 more then we paid for it and we came out $2000 out of pocket
We lost so much going to Canada, we now have dble the morgage we had before we went to Canada.....But we are still far better off financially and emotionally then we were over there..

We are in N/Lincolnshire...No regrets quite the opposite ...........

In fact i would like to Thank Canada for making our lives so difficult ....that we now realise just how wonderful the UK really is.....
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
In fact i would like to Thank Canada for making our lives so difficult ....that we now realise just how wonderful the UK really is.....
You know- that's all you can wish for. Despite the expense and stress, it's a huge learning experience and if you are happier than ever - well, I'd say it was worth it.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 7:06 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
You know- that's all you can wish for. Despite the expense and stress, it's a huge learning experience and if you are happier than ever - well, I'd say it was worth it.
It certainly brought out feelings, we wasn't aware we had Their was afew things that happened in Canada that i/we could of done well without....

But know point in dwelling, you have to close the door and move on

Anyway the foods better here
Old Oct 17th 2009, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

We did rent first .....We hated being in a rental and bought after 5 mths. We thought buying would be cheaper ( it wasn't), we also thought we would be more stable and be able to move on ( It didn't). Three wks after moving in reality set in and the realisation of just how hard it was all going to be for us there, came down on us like a ton of bricks......

It was the $21000 realtor fee's that blew us away In 7 mths our house had sold for $29000 more then we paid for it and we came out $2000 out of pocket
We lost so much going to Canada, we now have dble the morgage we had before we went to Canada.....But we are still far better off financially and emotionally then we were over there..

We are in N/Lincolnshire...No regrets quite the opposite ...........

Sans that first paragraph could have been written by me, BTW can anyone tell me how to pick out lines or paragraphs rather than putting the whole post in?
Old Oct 17th 2009, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Griff
oh gosh bettyboo67, $27K that is ridiculous isn't it? Yes makes my figure seem cheap! This whole business has been expense expense expense...I totally echo what you say - rent first. We bought because we wanted to be 100% comitted and we did not want the children to be here in a rental on the basis of providing them stability...now 3 years on do I think they would have cared ...no...would I have thought differently then...no, hindsight is a wonderful thing!

hang in there we will get out, are you in for a meet up early November??
Absolutely
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:27 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

BTW can anyone tell me how to pick out lines or paragraphs rather than putting the whole post in?

Just Copy and Paste.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:44 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
BTW can anyone tell me how to pick out lines or paragraphs rather than putting the whole post in?
Select the bit you want to use and use the 'quote' button while the focus is on the bit you want to quote. If you want to multi quote, keep doing this.

Just Copy and Paste.
If not, select the bits you want to get rid of and hit delete or back space when the focus is on the bits you don't want.

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 18th 2009 at 1:26 am.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 1:33 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

In fact i would like to Thank Canada for making our lives so difficult
Canada did not make your lives difficult, you did that on your own. One makes ones own bed and it's how each adapts or does not. Canada is what it is and many do just fine, without blaming the country when it does not work out how they expected.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:09 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Canada did not make your lives difficult, you did that on your own. One makes ones own bed and it's how each adapts or does not. Canada is what it is and many do just fine, without blaming the country when it does not work out how they expected.
Didn't it ? And what would you know about our lives......And yes i have quite successfully made my own bed for the best part of 50yrs.....Oh before i forget that was of course in the UK.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly brought out feelings, we wasn't aware we had Their was afew things that happened in Canada that i/we could of done well without....

But know point in dwelling, you have to close the door and move on

Anyway the foods better here
I hear you- thats how I feel...we are going to make sure that anyone who wants to come to Canada knows the things that no one told us before we came- we definitely would not have come.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 5:12 pm

Didn't it ? And what would you know about our lives......And yes i have quite successfully made my own bed for the best part of 50yrs.....Oh before i forget that was of course in the UK.
A country cannot make anyones life difficult, how could it do that? People do that, usually to ourselves by the choices we make. Unfortunately to few people ever want to take responsibility for their choices, its easier to blame someone or something else. Every experience is a lesson, one chapter ends we move on having learned something, but is was still as a result of our own choices and character.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 5:17 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by The Aviator
A country cannot make anyones life difficult, how could it do that? People do that, usually to ourselves by the choices we make. Unfortunately to few people ever want to take responsibility for their choices, its easier to blame someone or something else. Every experience is a lesson, one chapter ends we move on having learned something, but is was still as a result of our own choices and character.
So where are you? And are you happy with your choice ?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 5:27 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by shelley748
I hear you- thats how I feel...we are going to make sure that anyone who wants to come to Canada knows the things that no one told us before we came- we definitely would not have come.
Shelley their are lots of us ......Some of which are now stuck in the Country and carn't leave because they carn't afford to leave. And had we of stuck it out longer then we did, we would of been in the same boat......But its our own faults apparently

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.