Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Old Aug 31st 2012, 7:44 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Thanks so much but all were snapped with no photographic skill using an iPhone. That's how beautiful it is round here

Well, we're a few more months in now and about to start house hunting. This afternoon we go see a house that probably won't end up being the one, but you have to start somewhere. We thought we'd need a lot more time to settle in before we started looking, but we already feel like old hands, so off we go!
Old Aug 31st 2012, 11:32 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Thanks so much but all were snapped with no photographic skill using an iPhone. That's how beautiful it is round here

Well, we're a few more months in now and about to start house hunting. This afternoon we go see a house that probably won't end up being the one, but you have to start somewhere. We thought we'd need a lot more time to settle in before we started looking, but we already feel like old hands, so off we go!
It's an inherently beautiful part of the country, certainly, and benefits from a lower population density as well.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I've been back home for 3 months now so I figured it was time for an update.

I can't believe it's finally my turn to write one of these but I drew comfort, inspiration and assistance from so many others who made the move successfully (and those who struggled for one reason or another) for 3 years before my turn came. If it wasn't for this site and all the wonderful people who take the time to share their experiences, I don't think I would have made such an easy transition back to the UK. Thanks to everyone for that.

I lived in Canada and America for over 20 years and wasn't sure what to expect when I got back. I'd heard the horror stories about hooligans and chavs and hoodies and benefits scroungers and crime and on and on and on. I'd read the experiences of people who felt England had changed beyond all recognition, and those who felt they themselves had changed too much to settle back in. I suspected these wouldn't apply to me, but I couldn't be sure having only ever visited England for very brief spells over the years.

But now I'm here, I'm happy to say that arriving home was like slipping into a pair of comfortable old jeans. I haven't been this happy for a long time.

We are very fortunate in that we run our own web-based business and therefore didn't need to find work. We are also lucky that we maintained a strong network of family and friends while we were away and they have welcomed us back as though we never left. Finally, we are fortunate that our house sold at a profit and therefore we were not struggling financially on our return. I think all these things have made our transition much easier than it might otherwise be.

We chose to come back to my home county of Yorkshire, but to live in an area we hadn't previously known. I'm from West Yorkshire, but we're now in the prettier and more affluent North Yorkshire. It makes a real difference. I know many people who've never been up here think the north is grim, and some parts of it are, but IMO, North Yorkshire truly is God's own country as the saying goes. I think my husband will have a fight to ever get me to leave again

We've found everyone to be super-friendly. We've had only 2 experiences of poor customer service (and one was just clueless rather than intentionally bad) despite doing enough shopping to basically kit out an entire house from scratch. Our neighbors on either side are friendly and helpful. I absolutely love how everyone calls you 'love.' I missed that friendly warmth! And I adore how easy it is to have a laugh with a complete stranger.

We witnessed public drunkenness for the first time last night at a concert, but it was nothing that spoiled our evening and we haven't experienced it at any other time because we don't go into town on weekend nights though.

We see no litter or dog dirt in this area. I guess they're just very good at cleaning up.

Money: Most things here are cheaper for us (We thought our first gas bill was a mistake!). We needed serious vet services for one of our cats soon after landing back and it cost about 40% of what the same treatment would have cost back home (and thankfully the cat has made a full recovery). Our council tax is a third of our old property taxes. And of course we don't spend $1500 a month on healthcare insurance anymore which is a nice bonus.

Food seems to cost about the same. Petrol is more expensive of course.

Culture and history: We're art buffs and we've made the most of being back already, visiting local galleries and discovering a wonderful artist/asparagus farmer just down the road. We have a nice theatre in the nearest town and easy access to Leeds and York for larger stuff.

Leisure: We both love the countryside so we've begun to explore Nidderdale and will soon branch out to the other Dales. (Pictures on my blog here http://fingerrollsandfoldingchairs.w...s-own-country/).

Healthcare: It was easy to register at the local doctor and I got an appointment the same day, and was given the migraine medication I need without any hassle. Nice after the US where I had to prise it out of the hands of my insurance company.

Housing: We're renting and have just started to think about where we ultimately want to live. This area of Yorkshire is expensive and we couldn't afford the kind of house I really want here, so our dilemma is whether to go for a house that's smaller than we need but here in this lovely part of the world, or to move somewhere less expensive where the surroundings are not as nice. Just 30 miles can mean prices that are 40% lower for the same house.

Benefits scroungers: This one I don't get at all. Unless you happen to live next door to one, I can't see how it affects daily life. But as my brother was unemployed for nearly a year, and got sick during that time. I'm endlessly grateful for the benefits that kept him going. He finally found a good job and is back on his feet but without that help, I dread to think where he'd be (probably in my spare room )

My husband: He initially didn't want to come back and slowly came round. Now that he's back, he's genuinely happy. I am very relieved about this.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop now. I'll just end by saying that for me the biggest change about coming back is that I now always have something to look forward to. Last night we went to a concert with my husband's best friend. Tonight my best friend and his partner are coming over for dinner. Tomorrow we're going to spend the day up in the Dales where I'll be able to do some sketching, on Tuesday I'm meeting another pal for lunch, and in 2 weeks I'm taking my mum up into the northern Dales to stay in a nice hotel for her birthday. These are the things I've longed to be able to do and I have to pinch myself to make sure it's really happening.

It's taken me 3 years to get here and sometimes I genuinely thought it would never happen, but coming home has been everything I could have hoped for.

Sally i found your blog heart warming. Myself i have lived in America for nearly thirty years and finally moving back to the UK with my new wife on September 20th. We are moving to Dawlish in Devon and renting a spacious two bedroom apartment right in the middle of the town. Our view from the apartment is the sea to our left and a park to our right with a babbling brook that runs down from Dartmoor to the sea.
It going to be a difficult transition for my wife as she has lived in Boston, New York and finally Washington DC so she is a city girl, that is her only concern as the population of Dawlish is only 11,000 approx. She has been all her life an anglophile and has visited the UK many times on vacation, but a vacation is different to living there. But she is going to enjoy going to the butcher, greengrocer, bakery ect all in a compact area called the " Strand " And so like you our new life begins come the morning arrival at Heathrow September 21st. And so like you it will be good to be home.

John
Old Sep 1st 2012, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

London1947,

That is so exciting for you. It sounds like a beautiful part of the world. Maybe you can arrange to visit London every now and again so your wife can get her big city fix!

Good luck with the move!
Old Sep 1st 2012, 6:18 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London1947
Sally i found your blog heart warming. Myself i have lived in America for nearly thirty years and finally moving back to the UK with my new wife on September 20th. We are moving to Dawlish in Devon and renting a spacious two bedroom apartment right in the middle of the town. Our view from the apartment is the sea to our left and a park to our right with a babbling brook that runs down from Dartmoor to the sea.
It going to be a difficult transition for my wife as she has lived in Boston, New York and finally Washington DC so she is a city girl, that is her only concern as the population of Dawlish is only 11,000 approx. She has been all her life an anglophile and has visited the UK many times on vacation, but a vacation is different to living there. But she is going to enjoy going to the butcher, greengrocer, bakery ect all in a compact area called the " Strand " And so like you our new life begins come the morning arrival at Heathrow September 21st. And so like you it will be good to be home.

John
John, it sounds as though your new place will be idyllic. Hopefully your wife will love it as much as my hubby does. Just 3 weeks to go!!

Good luck and let us all know how you get on please
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

John, keep us updated with your area. Dawlish is one of the towns on my list of places to possibly retire to!
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

backtomyroots is an unknown quantity at this point

sallysimmons, thanks so much for your post. I've been away for over 30 years and am just beginning to consider coming back (with all sorts of obstacles and doubts) so your post really has given me hope and enthusiasm!
Old Sep 10th 2012, 2:52 am
BE Reader for years!

BritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really nice

John
I went to the High School in Dawlish and have many friends there. Can't believe the place is mentioned here!

I can tell you all about it... my whole life it and Dawlish Warren used to be our weekend holiday destination when we lived in London before moving to the area. Lived in the area for 8 years. My first job was at the Bakery on the Strand, John how funny! :-)

I will say this, it is perfect for retirement but a little remote and economically depressed for anything else. Commuting to Exeter takes a good 30-40 minutes with traffic, London by train is 2.5 hours with a change of trains at Exeter St. Davids...but you can get straight to Paddington. It is very pretty in the summer, but the winter is very very hard weather wise, exposed coast, railway line etc. Hurricane force winds with freezing rain are not uncommon. Be prepared to love some roof tiles! However, on the flip side in the summer it shines! The manor, the brook, the beach, the southwest coastal path... all gorgeous. :-)
Old Sep 10th 2012, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

John
I hope you have wonderful luck and life experiences with your move!! M
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:02 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritinFLUSA
I will say this, it is perfect for retirement but a little remote and economically depressed for anything else. Commuting to Exeter takes a good 30-40 minutes with traffic, London by train is 2.5 hours with a change of trains at Exeter St. Davids...but you can get straight to Paddington. It is very pretty in the summer, but the winter is very very hard weather wise, exposed coast, railway line etc. Hurricane force winds with freezing rain are not uncommon. Be prepared to love some roof tiles!
A little harsh, though I suppose a) we've only been here a couple of years, and b) we moved from Whitby where wind and freezing rain are on a different scale altogether, and you can add salt storms that coat the windows so you can't see through them. Also, in comparison Dawlish isn't remote at all.

There are still a couple of through trains to London.

It is small and quiet, though. I'll grant you that,

Bev
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:35 pm
BE Reader for years!

BritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bevm
A little harsh, though I suppose a) we've only been here a couple of years, and b) we moved from Whitby where wind and freezing rain are on a different scale altogether, and you can add salt storms that coat the windows so you can't see through them. Also, in comparison Dawlish isn't remote at all.

Bev

Eek! Don't misunderstand me. It is lovely. :-) Just saying that there are many people like myself and my family years ago who moved from London, not understanding that the place is relatively remote with a poor local economy and that the cost of living is nearly as high as London. Devon has the highest house prices as a county outside of London! Many who work in East Devon pop across into Somerset to live as prices are cheaper. But those on the coast while enjoying the scenery pay the price in other ways.

I will also say, like many impoverished coastal towns whose heyday is behind them - most British coastal towns and resorts are like this - there are run down areas with higher crime and drug use. But every town has its bad areas. Thankfully I didn't live in those, but right by the coast in a small village nearby..ocean and countryside view prevailed!

I will say that the A379 running along the coast is very pretty and driving to work in Torquay for a job was stunning...I frequently show American's this route on Google Earth and they are mesmerised!
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:37 pm
BE Reader for years!

Originally Posted by Bevm

Bev
By the way Whitby is yes remote, however just so gorgeous! :-)

For the previous poster John, look out for flooding in Dawlish in the Brook in the winter months.. it is pretty cool to see the river flood three feet or so...
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Hi to those that responded. Yes Dawlish is a little remote but only 12 miles to Exeter and of course Torquay and Paignton down the road. When one is considering making what is hopefully going to be the last move as i am now 65 years young. What was and is importent was local transport. Having the buses, trains, ect right on the doorstep was a main factor in my decision to choose Dawlish. True it's going to be a culture shock to my new wife, but as long as we are together that's the main thing.

Did i read on here that someone is retiring in Dawlish ? and Sally what a small world, i know we may say that a lot, but it IS a small world, can't believe you worked in the bakers shop on the Strand. I will only be to glad to keep posting on this site and let you all know how we are adjusting, well more to the point my wife lol.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:11 pm
BE Reader for years!

Hi to those that responded. Yes Dawlish is a little remote but only 12 miles to Exeter and of course Torquay and Paignton down the road. When one is considering making what is hopefully going to be the last move as i am now 65 years young. What was and is importent was local transport. Having the buses, trains, ect right on the doorstep was a main factor in my decision to choose Dawlish. True it's going to be a culture shock to my new wife, but as long as we are together that's the main thing.

Did i read on here that someone is retiring in Dawlish ? and Sally what a small world, i know we may say that a lot, but it IS a small world, can't believe you worked in the bakers shop on the Strand. I will only be to glad to keep posting on this site and let you all know how we are adjusting, well more to the point my wife lol.
Please do! I look forward to hearing more.

As I said, it is perfect for retiree's who don't have to rely on the local economy for their income. Oh and it was me who said about the bakery on the Strand. :-)

It was a shock moving to the area from London too... I can tell you that! I remember being fascinated that the local press was full of stories about Mrs. Smith's Tomato Plants and the local scout groups versus stabbings and robberies as were the case in the local London press! Dawlish as a place is pretty slow moving as a town..except for tourist season! I actually met up with a friend there when I was over visting the UK in March and I can say it is a place that never changes.. everywhere else I visited on that trip (900 miles of driving across the nation!) had changed and moved with the times. Asides from the new Sainsbury's in Dawlish by Shutterton Industrial estate nothing else had changed and hasn't since my youth visiting with parents on weekend trips from London. It is as if the place is frozen in time.

Last edited by BritinFLUSA; Sep 10th 2012 at 1:13 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your move John, you don't have long now. Can't promise sunshine but coming home's what's important right? All the best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.