Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

YUK- COCKROACHES!!!

YUK- COCKROACHES!!!

Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:22 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: YUK- COCKROACHES!!!

Originally Posted by Lordhorrace
I got into bed late one night - (I had just moved to Australia and had a brand new rental house in Narangba 3 years ago today!!!) I put my arm under the pillow and felt something scratchy.....I quickly turned on the bedside light and to my horror a mother was giving birth to live baby cockroaches right under my pillow!!!
In no time at all they were running all over the bed.

You have never seen me move so quickly!! The bed was stripped and sprayed to death!! Actually had a horrible time with cockroaches out in Narangba. No amount of house treatments seemed to keep them away!
Now living in the city and luckily haven't seen one!! But I still check under the pillow first!!
I would have liked the time to drown the bastards in Baygone - all of them, mum and babies.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:32 am
experienced member

Lordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I would have liked the time to drown the bastards in Baygone - all of them, mum and babies.
I know - wish you had been there to assist me in their extermination!! (sounds like a Dalek now lol )

- they are no use to anyone - just horrible Parasites! Ugly devils too....as for the Cockroaches........
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:39 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lordhorrace
I know - wish you had been there to assist me in their extermination!! (sounds like a Dalek now lol )

- they are no use to anyone - just horrible Parasites! Ugly devils too....as for the Cockroaches........
What purpose do they serve I wonder?

Kill them and kill them all and kill them fast.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Spray them with hairspray if you dont have any Baygone it works wonders as they stiffen up a treat

You do get used to them after a few years. I always have baits outside and inside and spray the house with mortein outside and in very rarley see any now.

Mags
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:21 am
Just Joined

marie-claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
Just want to say thanks to all of you who have posted on this thread. It has had me pissing myself laughing. My family and i are planning on moving out to Australia late next year. I am under no illusion that i am moving to Utopia. My idea of Utopia does not involve spiders, snakes, jellyfish or bugs of any kind. I guess i will have to invest in a dog and lots of mortein.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

The Cockroaches are under the bed...So where the bloody hell are you?

Oh horrors horrors horrors

I would rather face 20 redbacks and a taipan (well, maybe not the taipan) than those bloody cockroaches. I came onto here just now to post a thread along the lines of 'is more than 1 cockroach an infestation' and I see it was a topical subject.

Since we moved into our rental 6 weeks ago, I have found four or five cockroaches. It has certainly cured the habit of a lifetime, i.e. leaving washing up till the next day, because I've been scrupulously cleaning down the kitchen surfaces nightly.

But these cockroaches are popping up (usually dead) about once a week, at the other end of our unit, i.e. the bedroom and bathroom. I have found 2 in the bedroom, in fact one is twitching his last under our bed as we speak, and my OH will be dealing with it as soon as he sets foot in the house in the next hour.

I can't stand them! They're so vile and horrid, I can't even bear to look at them and I was absolutely horrified when I realised they could fly. I'm trying to toughen up about spiders and insect life in general, but I can't countenance the idea of a cockroach mob flitting around our dwelling every night.

My OH reckons the odd cockroach is okay, but I feel we've had quite enough visitors now thank you very much. Just been to Woollies to stock up on surface killing spray and baits.

Is it possible to use these DIY methods to contain the problem, or is professional extermination the only effective way?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
The Cockroaches are under the bed...So where the bloody hell are you?

Oh horrors horrors horrors

I would rather face 20 redbacks and a taipan (well, maybe not the taipan) than those bloody cockroaches. I came onto here just now to post a thread along the lines of 'is more than 1 cockroach an infestation' and I see it was a topical subject.

Since we moved into our rental 6 weeks ago, I have found four or five cockroaches. It has certainly cured the habit of a lifetime, i.e. leaving washing up till the next day, because I've been scrupulously cleaning down the kitchen surfaces nightly.

But these cockroaches are popping up (usually dead) about once a week, at the other end of our unit, i.e. the bedroom and bathroom. I have found 2 in the bedroom, in fact one is twitching his last under our bed as we speak, and my OH will be dealing with it as soon as he sets foot in the house in the next hour.

I can't stand them! They're so vile and horrid, I can't even bear to look at them and I was absolutely horrified when I realised they could fly. I'm trying to toughen up about spiders and insect life in general, but I can't countenance the idea of a cockroach mob flitting around our dwelling every night.

My OH reckons the odd cockroach is okay, but I feel we've had quite enough visitors now thank you very much. Just been to Woollies to stock up on surface killing spray and baits.

Is it possible to use these DIY methods to contain the problem, or is professional extermination the only effective way?
If you keep seeing only dead cockroaches, then I'd say that you already have some barrier protection in place - and it's working.

You want to worry when you have cockroaches walking around all over your clean dishes, during the day..

The giant 2-inch long versions live outside. If you're seeing them indoors, then they're getting in through some gap somewhere. You've got no chance of exterminating them all but you can stop them getting in.

The small cockroaches can and do live inside (behind fridges, cookers etc). If you regularly see huge numbers of them running around you need professional treatment.

Just a few dead ones indoors is no big deal - honest!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Gina73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anybody else look under their pillows last night(see earlier post!) or was it just me?!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gina73
Did anybody else look under their pillows last night(see earlier post!) or was it just me?!
No, but I wasn't aware of it then. Am already checking under the sheets nightly for whitetails, so can fit cockroaches onto the agenda LOL
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:02 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no stopping the big flying ones.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:02 am
experienced member

Lordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gina73
I tell you what - I think that we were just unlucky - the house must have been built on a Cockroach nest or something - we literally had hundreds of them in the house.

We'd be sitting watching Telly at night and you would hear them scurrying along the tiled floors and climbing the wall behind the settee.

Open a cupboard in the kitchen...and they'd be there to greet you.

I'd go to the loo and find one 'cocky' cockroach sitting on top of the loo roll up on his hind legs eating the paper and just looking indignantly back at me.

We came back one night after having a meal out in Brisbane and they had the stereo on and were having a party in the lounge! (Ok I made that bit up!)

We had the exterminators in twice, in a week and they said they had never seen such resistant buggers!! They had to use some extra strength chemicals apparently the second time. God knows how healthy this is!! But the house always had this smell about it afterwards!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:02 am
Just Joined

marie-claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Gina
I looked under my pillow and i still live in the UK.