Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Old May 17th 2008, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of
Default Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

The wages are too low in Ullapool.

I recommend Ullapool - its warmer for you - probably as far as you're ever likely to get in your lifetime. Aussie is not for you. Wages too low, people too nice, lifestyle too laid back ~ you stay with the rain cos if you're coming out here just for sunshine you'll be better off in Spain with a hankerchief on your head and a string vest.
Old May 17th 2008, 10:39 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
My plan would be to start afresh if i came out probably open a proper bar which they only have about 5 of in Australia I would market it as "a little oasis in the cultural desert" and highlight the fact it doesnt have an entire bookmakers shop in the corner of the pub.
We need entertainment
Old May 17th 2008, 10:51 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

My plan would be to start afresh if i came out probably open a proper bar which they only have about 5 of in Australia I would market it as "a little oasis in the cultural desert" and highlight the fact it doesnt have an entire bookmakers shop in the corner of the pub.
WHAT!? No bookmakers shop? That's it - you've lost my custom! :curse:
Old May 17th 2008, 10:52 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
You seem in a good mood tonight
I'm off to Cardiff in a few minutes, to attend the wedding of my wife's cousin. He's a nice young chap, and he's found a nice young Welsh lass.

So there's a reason to be happy.

Old May 17th 2008, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I'm off to Cardiff in a few minutes, to attend the wedding of my wife's cousin. He's a nice young chap, and he's found a nice young Welsh lass.

Enjoy your day.
Old May 17th 2008, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

The weather means nothing, but if the fishing was the same, I probably wouldn't
Old May 17th 2008, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

WHAT!? No bookmakers shop? That's it - you've lost my custom! :curse:
Made me laugh too. Can't believe people think that pubs without TAB don't exist here I know quite a few that don't have them - admittedly most are in the city but they are there all the same.

Shock horror, there's also TAB's here that don't have a pub attached
Old May 17th 2008, 12:54 pm
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all

I just wanted to add pennies worth please, we are not doing this entirely because of the weather, we have 4 children under 10,i want to be able to walk down the street knowing that if my 10 yr old passes another young lad he isnt going to get slapped, slashed, knifed,killed etc by a youth that wants his phone or trainers, or what small change he has in his pocket, he likes sports and yes here in the u.k we have sports but if the weather is terrible they either dont play or it gets postponed or parents dont want their kids becoming ill by playing a match etc in the pouring rain, its not nice for the family watching either , other kids get cold and wet, parents cold and wet, etc etc.

i am not saying there is no crime in Australia, but in the u.k everyday i am seeing young people being stabbed, shot etc for silly things like a few pence they have in their pocket or because they are the wrong colour, speak differently, or because you looked at them the wrong way, the weather side of things will help but i am doing this more for my kids than weather

i dont want my kids getting into the wrong crowd and being a hoodie, etc

thats my reasons anyway

michell
Old May 17th 2008, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Rastis will become famous soon enough

Why would anyone move to Australia for any other reason than the weather? Its has no culture, very little natural beauty, higher taxes than the UK and far fewer career opportunities.
You must be kidding
Old May 17th 2008, 2:27 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Given how you feel about the place after a few weeks holiday - you'd have to be stark-bollock-staring mad to emigrate here. Stay put and save your xenophobic drivel for any English unfortunate enough to cross the border...
Old May 17th 2008, 8:40 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

the weather did not really attract us we are doing it purely for the adventure, we have lived in other countries but have not been to this side of the world and we fancied the diving and seeing a bit of the country and visiting new Zealand, Fiji and those sort of places
Old May 17th 2008, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

angelaos will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by michell
I just wanted to add pennies worth please, we are not doing this entirely because of the weather, we have 4 children under 10,i want to be able to walk down the street knowing that if my 10 yr old passes another young lad he isnt going to get slapped, slashed, knifed,killed etc by a youth that wants his phone or trainers, or what small change he has in his pocket, he likes sports and yes here in the u.k we have sports but if the weather is terrible they either dont play or it gets postponed or parents dont want their kids becoming ill by playing a match etc in the pouring rain, its not nice for the family watching either , other kids get cold and wet, parents cold and wet, etc etc.

i am not saying there is no crime in Australia, but in the u.k everyday i am seeing young people being stabbed, shot etc for silly things like a few pence they have in their pocket or because they are the wrong colour, speak differently, or because you looked at them the wrong way, the weather side of things will help but i am doing this more for my kids than weather

thats my reasons anyway

michell
Where in Essex do you live? I'm from there originally, but still in the UK presently. I also want to go to Oz for the same reasons as you. Have you actually experienced the crimes or just read about them in the media? Mine is media based but still a big concern for me.
Old May 17th 2008, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I'll look out for you today then!! Shame it's cold in Cardiff today. Usually it's a ot sunnier and warmer than the West Midlands.
Old May 18th 2008, 12:42 am
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Enjoy your day.
Just arrived home from Cardiff. It's a hefty drive at this hour of the night, especially after such a long day.

Was a lovely wedding and a really great reception. Caught up with some of the wife's rellies, including her uncle who had flown over from Australia (he emigrated Down Under many years ago).

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I'll look out for you today then!! Shame it's cold in Cardiff today. Usually it's a ot sunnier and warmer than the West Midlands.
Bit of nasty rain late at night, and some awkward patches of road due to roadworks and general slipperiness. But not too bad, overall.

Now it's bedtime for sleepy teddy bears...

Old May 18th 2008, 12:54 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michell

thats my reasons anyway

michell
It's all relative, I guess. We landed in Sydney two weeks ago michell, and my husband just read me the SMH headlines in his newsfeed with amazement. Reports like "Five males have been arrested by police who were forced to use capsicum spray after a party in Sydney's west ended in a wild brawl" seem to be the norm here and, coming from 6 years in Asia, we're not used to this. Seeing houses with bars on the windows was a bit of a shocker too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.