Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Old May 17th 2008, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Now that the cost of living in Aus is around about the same as UK and the growth of the cities means the traffic is on par (well in Brisbane anyway where public transport and infrastructure is woeful), I am interested to know whether people are moving mainly because of the weather.

When I moved over 8 years ago there were quite a few incentives, such as much cheaper housing, cheaper everything, way less traffic than UK, easier day to day living and so on. If I was moving over today the only stand out benefit I can see really is the climate (not discrediting that as a valid reason as it does make life more enjoyable!).

If the weather was taken out of the equation, i.e. was the same as in UK, would there still be enough incentive for you to move?
Old May 17th 2008, 12:56 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Originally Posted by rabsody
Now that the cost of living in Aus is around about the same as UK and the growth of the cities means the traffic is on par (well in Brisbane anyway where public transport and infrastructure is woeful), I am interested to know whether people are moving mainly because of the weather.

When I moved over 8 years ago there were quite a few incentives, such as much cheaper housing, cheaper everything, way less traffic than UK, easier day to day living and so on. If I was moving over today the only stand out benefit I can see really is the climate (not discrediting that as a valid reason as it does make life more enjoyable!).

If the weather was taken out of the equation, i.e. was the same as in UK, would there still be enough incentive for you to move?
Honestly.........absolutely none whatsoever! The weather is what gives you the outdoor lifestyle, and if you dont have that....why put yourself through an extremely traumatic (for some at least) experience.....and live on the other side of the world from your family?

If the weather changds for good today........I'd be outta here no questions asked.
Old May 17th 2008, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Probably not....

I think the fact that the suns shining means so many things can be done, especially as a family...

For instance, We are all going to pootle up the canals today teaching the boys to drive the boat with me and a glass of bubbly and a trashy magazine happily relaxing in the back!They are almost 15 & almost 16 so to have them choose to spend the day with us because what we now do is cool. Back at home most weekends were spent in shopping centres or DIY stores dodging the rain and the kids would be dispatched bowling or to the cinema with £50 each to also keep dry.
We can now arrange to have friends over for a barbi well in advance as you pretty much know it will be dry and warm so our social life is better. Back home it was the local Indian on a Saturday night spending £100& because the weather was so unpredictable.
I now get up in a better mood simply because its bright and sunny and warm... I speak to the people I have left behind and they even sound grey and dull. They are so depressed when after a hard weeks work the news weather forecast happily tells you on a Friday night that its going to be heavy showers and windy all weekend... The sun only seems to come out during the week for some reason!!
Life is the same here to a certain degree but I feel we spend much less money on our social and leisure time because the best things in life ( sun, sea & sand) really are all free...

Also one of the other reasons I didnt pick Tassie or Melbourne or Adelaide or Sydney is the COLD!!! sod that too!!!
Old May 17th 2008, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

We didnt come here for the weather and it certainly wouldnt have played a part in our decision anyway. Personally I find the heat wearing after all these years and think we had more outdoors activity in UK than we do here - nothing like bushwalking with all the flies, slathering yourself with sunscreen and needing to cart gallons of water to make you appreciate the UK footpath network. I dont think anything I have had here compares with the long balmy summer evenings sitting out in the garden at home. I also much prefer being able to rug up against the cold than sweltering in the heat and needing to be in airconditioned comfort otherwise I would melt. Edited to add, if you live without decent rainfall for long enough, just the sight of a black cloud (woo hoo, today!!!!!) actually brings cheer to your heart rather than waking up to the bland blank blue sky every day.
Old May 17th 2008, 1:32 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

We came to Aus because of the weather and the lifestyle the good weather provides. That's why we also chose Brisbane

We had a great life in UK in terms of jobs, place we lived, holidays, cars blah, blah, blah. There was no push to leave UK except the weather. It made us miserable. We would go on holidays at every opportunity to get away from it. We realised we were chasing a different lifestyle and it's not always about money. Grey skies, snow, slush, fog, rain, rain, rain...eughhh

We came because the weather is absolutely bloody fantastic in Aus and the wildlife is second to none. Blue skies, sun, blue skies, sun. Yep, suits us to a "T"

So to answer your question: Nope, we wouldn't have made the move to Aus if the weather was the same as UK.
Old May 17th 2008, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

What a good question! I am sat here now with the rain chucking it down and grey skies, and I have to say yes I would of made the move. I love an adventure Even though we had good jobs in the UK etc etc.. The chance to see and experience something new is always good in my book. As I have said many times before, you only get one shot so go for everything you can If you dont like something change it and try something different,whats to lose- you cant take money to the grave with you I would like to think I have some fantastic stories to tell people when I am in my 90,s in my goverment funded care home, because I spent any money I had living life and having a bloody good life on the way
Old May 17th 2008, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope...

I didn't get used to the predictable sun during the summer... still anxious that our plans would be rained off... It'll take a couple of years no doubt to grasp that one...

It's the useable outdoors that we came here for... lovvin it
Old May 17th 2008, 2:32 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe.

A more reliable summer was one of the reasons for coming but there were other reasons.

I still think I would have left the UK.

Last edited by MartinLuther; May 17th 2008 at 2:34 am.
Old May 17th 2008, 2:36 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

One reason we moved here is that it's mostly cooler (and definitely less humid) than where we were. Right now though, as I freeze my bits off, I'd put up with the constant sweating.

If I were coming from the UK, climate (allegedly milder winters more than hotter summers) would play a part, but only a small one.
Old May 17th 2008, 3:07 am
Just Joined

riktus106 is an unknown quantity at this point

a very good question indeed...ther are 4000 people a week leaving the uk... for many reason the main one is the way the country is going with all the illegal immigrants and the crime and the way the government is running the country
for me i left with my partner for all above reasons....would i stay if the weather is like hear..... yes i would .... hope this helps
Old May 17th 2008, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Most definately
Old May 17th 2008, 3:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we would have but it would have been a longer discussion. Whilst we moved because we could and thought what the hell, the weather, or more particularly the lack of the long, dark, damp, chilly English winters was a big plus point for me. I used to be really ill during winter and if the climate was comparable to here that wouldn't have been a factor.

The main reason for moving was to give the husband a chance of working to live and not the other way round. We've succeeded so yes I think we'd still have come.
Old May 17th 2008, 3:49 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes the weather was the no1 reason we came. That and all it brings with it.

We like / love many other facets of our life in Australia, but at the same time some things about life here drive us nuts!

Same shit, sunnier bucket! ...
Old May 17th 2008, 3:59 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

If the weather was great in the UK, then Australia wouldn't even have been mentioned!
Saying that, now i know what it is like to bake in the hot sun, i think i prefer cooler weather anyway. So it has learnt me alot coming here, knowing that weather is not the most important thing in life.
Old May 17th 2008, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice

I'm in Canada but weather was a factor for us too. Its so changeable in the UK. That makes it so hard to plan anything outside. You never knew if a camping trip is going to end up, knee deep in mud.

We would still have come, anyway the people was the biggest factor in our decision. But I think the weather effects peoples attitudes anyway. People here appreciate when its nice and enjoy the snow in winter too. Everyone in UK always seems to moan whatever its doing. Do Australians appreciate the weather they have?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.