Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

work this 1 out, then dont come

work this 1 out, then dont come

Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all
Default Re: work this 1 out, then dont come

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
I agree that there should be threads explaining the work situation here but sometimes it can come across as condescending or bossy. Who is anyone on this site to tell people not to come? You may think you are doing your bit of kindness but it's not up to anyone but the individual. If they want to come even though the job situation isn't at its best then its up to them.
Believe me, I wish someone had warned us.... We came over on the promise of a job... day before we flew had an email to say that they had lost a contract but hey ho we 'll still give you a job... 5 weeks in the OH is pulling his hair out looking for work! You have both been extremely lucky, and that is fantastic news for anyone! Yes people get personal, it's hard not to when you in a desperate situation. I wish I had read more of the 'what's it really like' posts rather than the rose tinted varieties. Yes Australia, well Melbourne is lovely but you can't enjoy it whilst your watching your bank balance dwindle and there are no jobs on the horizon. It would have been a safer option all round to stay put... yes apply to emmigrate... but validate and hold off until the climate is better... that's in my own opinion - apologisies if anyone takes it the wromg way.

I've tried to send karma to SC and DD but it won't let me.....
Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I guess those not 'liking' posts about the crappy job situation have truck loads of cash to survive a year or so unemployed Not exactly a cheap place to live is it.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:58 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinner-dash
What a smug remark, who in the building trade has the same ammount of work in front of them then they did 12 months ago, 1 man bands maybe.

He is one of the most genuine employers in SA..........if you look back through 12 month old threads on here you would see just how many people were contacted by him via agents about the same package he offered me. (Paint Professionals)He is not like how you describe, he just has no work to offer them. Do you expect to be paid to sit at home just because you are on a sponsored visa, do your research and find out how many 457 holders are being forced out of Aus due to no fault of their own.

As I said.... maybe.

I am in the trade and I do have the same amount of work.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I guess those not 'liking' posts about the crappy job situation have truck loads of cash to survive a year or so unemployed Not exactly a cheap place to live is it.
Is there anywhere in the developed world "cheap" to live nowadays? We've worked our bills out in Aus and we're probably paying the same amounts. We pay more for food, Woolworths is imo not as cheap as Tesco or Safeways but we pay less for gas and electricity.

Swings... Roundabouts...
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:19 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

January 2008

A South Australian painting contractor had so much work he offered me a all expenses paid sponsors visa to include application and medical costs, and a 1 way ticket, 12 month rent free accommodation, company vehicle and $30 a hour. Thought it was to good to be true so turned it down.

Spoke to him today about the dreadfully employment in Gold Coast and the possibility of work down in SA........... he replied that he had laid off his entite work force including all those on sponsored visa's (god know's what they going to do) and 15 out of 18 office staff and was just hiring and firing as when required. All his labour was now self-employed paying $20 a hour (bsn required).

He was looking for 1 brush hand paying minimum wages and had 55 applicants.

Now believe us that things are really bad !
Sorry to hear you are having problems getting paid work; a long time ago for me but I vividly remember how depressing it can be.

I have been wanting to renovate my house for about 10 years but have been waiting for trades people to become available and willing to work at My Price. I know something is My Price when I am willing to spend money to have someone else do the work for me. I have done my share of painting my house over the years and I don't want to do any more but I don't want to pay more than My Price - which is not enough to include agent's fees.

I imagine there are quite a few householders, who like me, have been waiting for the price of services to drop.

How should I go about finding someone like you, someone diligently trying to find work, and how should I assess your ability to do a better job than I would do but at My Price?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:35 pm

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

im not saying the work is not there, its a case of securing a job with so many others after it, try this for instance posted in local paper saturday.

http://jobs.byron.com.au/QLD-Gold-Co...-13801189.html

out of bed at 6am
fetched paper 6.30am
saw vacancy rang at 6.45am
job went yesterday to a word of mouth contact 6.50am
employer now has had over 50 calls and turning his phone off 9.30am

what chance did I have ?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

im not saying the work is not there, its a case of securing a job with so many others after it, try this for instance posted in local paper saturday.

out of bed at 6am
fetched paper 6.30am

what chance did I have ?

My 15 year old highschooler rang up for a job delivering telephone directories, guy said he had hundreds of calls so didnt even want his detalis

Think OZ is at the panic stage, job market is almost frozen as the panic sets in.

Intersting really, just as other countires show signs of improvement OZ has major panic attack, if it was more worldly it would see by now things are beginning to 'spark' again overseas.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:44 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

out of bed at 6am
fetched paper 6.30am

what chance did I have ?
Keep your chin up mate and i really hope you get a job soon
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:54 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

out of bed at 6am
fetched paper 6.30am

what chance did I have ?
Buckley's. But are you only chasing "Job Type: Permanent"?

I would have thought that the only painters who would be hired "permanently" would be those who are known to have previously worked "permanently" on the beliefe that they are more likely to be reliable "permanently".

A recent immigrant with no local reputation has less than Buckley's, I would have thought.

Have you advertised directly to households?
Old Apr 18th 2009, 12:03 am

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

right plan z.

just found this at my old local job centre, im going to ring tonight and speak to owner of hotel, we are on 1st names terms because I used to do all her decorating when in UK. If she offers me the job over the phone it will really prove to myself its a case of "who you know". Bearing in mind she does not know im in Australia

Wage£7.00 PER HOUR
Hours8 HOURS PER WEEK. BETWEEN MON & FRI. BETWEEN 8AM & 4PM
Location******** WORCESTERSHIRE WR****
DurationPermanent
Date posted15 April 2009
Pension detailsNo details held
Description
This Local Employment Partnership employer shares information about new starters with Jobcentre Plus, for statistical purposes only. See www.dwp.gov.uk for more information. No previous experience is necessary. Duties will include fire alarm testing, fixture maintenance, and other related duties as required. . Applicants can also ring for an application form on *************
How to apply
You can apply for this job by obtaining an application form from, and returning it to Reception at ********** Worcestershire, WR.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 12:23 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have read this thread with interest and with a deep professional interest in employment markets and resourcing, I am going to give my tuppence worth of opinion.

I have been in Australia two years, I have found networks to be important, previous Australian experience highly regarded and pre-Aus experience to be considered but of a lesser importance. This is important when you consider that around 75% of all roles are not advertised.

Australian corporate HR practice is now considering workforce planning, succession planning and talent management more than ever before. The practice before was much more the result of a boom and bust economy and mentality which led to highly inflated salaries, churn of talent across market sectors and increased demand for contractors.

The general feeling in the people management world is those with a job are keeping their heads down and 'holding on to their seats' until the market changes. Companies are likely to retain more staff but those staff are not necessarily engaged. An important factor to consider is that the ageing workforce is stalling retirement due to decimated superannuation.

For newcomers, with little network, this can result in disadvantage. No network to source many unadvertised roles and less open roles available. Organizations are downsizing if not they are tending to caution and recruitment freezes. Contractor demand is reducing.

Melbourne and Sydney are tending towards stabilizing but not increasing workforces. Perth and Brisbane, where there has been more project work and boom, are seeing the delay of projects, a wait and see mentality and reduction of spend.

All of this knocks on to those outside of the corporate world - less drive for projects means a rationalization of salaries for engineers and reduction in workflow for tradespeople. Caution with cash results in potentially less spend in hospitality, service industries and retail and any downturn in this can result in less opportunity for casual or permanent roles. Those self-employed or working for small companies may see a drop in the need for staff as money stays in pockets. Those in health, social sector and government organizations are less likely to be impacted.

If I was coming now, with a reduced pound, less opportunity and a slowing economy, I think that I would proceed with some caution. In times of recession, there is a need to bunker down and any job is a good one right now, even if it is in a country you don't want to be in.

Off soapbox, world solved....

Last edited by busterboy; Apr 18th 2009 at 12:29 am.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 12:30 am
ABCDiamond

Maybe this is why the Australian government has announced new tougher rules to get the dole so putting people off from applying, thus keeping the unemployment figures down, bet the true figure is now 10%
The officially quoted unemployment figure already includes those unemployed who do not claim benefits.

eg:
In 2007, there were nearly half a million (478,300) unemployed people compared with 321,800 job seekers receiving labour market payments. http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]&num=&view=
Getting unemployment benefit or not, does not affect the numbers of unemployed that are quoted.

Unemployment Figure includes: Those people over 15 who take active steps to find work in the four weeks prior to the survey.

Benefit Claimant Figure includes: Includes only those people who claimed a Labour related benefit during that time.

Note:
Unemployment Figure also includes: All students aged 15 years and over as long as they meet the actively looking and availability criteria, whether at school or not.

Old Apr 18th 2009, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
When we came over 5 weeks ago we didn't know anybody, we had no Aus experience and we've both got jobs...

OH is working as an ali welder in a fabrication shop, moneys good and there is plenty of overtime and I've just got a job with Westpac's Investment and Pensions department.

I haven't found the "who you know" mentality here but like I said we've only been here 5 weeks.

I'm not trying to belittle anyones job hunts. I can't imagine how hard and soul destroying that would be (and SC I hope your husband gets a job closer to home soon ) but what I'm saying is yes some people are struggling, the worlds a bit mad at the minute but there are people out there who are doing just fine.

I agree that there should be threads explaining the work situation here but sometimes it can come across as condescending or bossy. Who is anyone on this site to tell people not to come? You may think you are doing your bit of kindness but it's not up to anyone but the individual. If they want to come even though the job situation isn't at its best then its up to them.
Which is exactly why I said, nobody is saying don't come, just be aware of the situation. (Well DD is obviously but I disagree with that!)
I think that you have been very fortunate Louise & are the exception to the rule at the mo. We have friends facing redundancy, struggling to find work after a year & I know there are plenty of nurses whose OH's have been unable to find work.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 12:44 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
People are not saying don't come,
Umm, even the heading of this thread is saying: Don't come ....

And that is the problem.

It is one thing for people to point out possible/probable problems, but quite another to TELL people what to do.

There are many threads that have mentioned that Unemployment has increased recently.
Many threads that have mentioned the trimming of immigration numbers from the original figures for this year.
Many threads that have said how difficult it is to get work without Australian experience, even at the best of times.

But when people go over the top and tell others NOT TO COME, it isn't surprising that some others will defend against such arrogance.

If people are realistic in their posts, the responses may be milder also, and maybe, just maybe, people may actually believe what it written, instead of having to doubt everything.

The original poster states his experiences, and based on HIS experiences tells everyone NOT TO COME to Australia.

If I stated that I applied for a Job yesterday, and got it, and then came on here and said "Come to Australia, jobs are easy" based on MY experience, how would that be treated by some ?

Old Apr 18th 2009, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Which is exactly why I said, nobody is saying don't come, just be aware of the situation. (Well DD is obviously but I disagree with that!).
[QUOTE=ABCDiamond;7489862]Umm, even the heading of this thread is saying: Don't come ....
[QUOTE]

Sorry, I did correct myself in my last post!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.