Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

work this 1 out, then dont come

work this 1 out, then dont come

Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work this 1 out, then dont come

Originally Posted by TandC23
Im not putting my head in the sand. Im just saying that WE GET IT, the job situation is BAD. But im still not going to change my mind about emmigrating.
People are not saying don't come, just be aware of how truly difficult it may be, depending on your skill/trade.
Aus very much works on a 'who you know' system & without contacts & Aus experience, job hunting can be very difficult & frustrating here at the mo!
Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:28 pm

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Tried to send you karma but system won't let me Completely understand your situation. OH has been trying very hard for work since we arrived & now has accepted job which means we will live apart It is very difficult here at the mo!
thank you, i dont mind missing out on the karma. its hard as you well know, with no rewards. soul destroying.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:29 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: work this 1 out, then dont come

Originally Posted by dinner-dash
Mmmmmm...........sorry.

just found this.....who would of thought it zero unemployment less than 2 years ago,
Zero unemployment? Where was this?

Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

thank you, i dont mind missing out on the karma. its hard as you well know, with no rewards. soul destroying.
Absolutely, which is why I am supporting OH to accept job offer even though he will have to move away & ultimately we all may have to move even though we don't want to. It is tough!

I really wish you the very best DD!
Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Zero unemployment? Where was this?

JOHN HOWARD says it's difficult to find reasons why any Australian should be out of work in the current economy .. and the government's changes to the `work for the dole' program are fair.

so its not zero%........but john thought it should be.

p.s....could this be you, nah cant be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

my fav bit is this one liner

is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum.

go find yourself a bridge or a new life. your comments are like your brush work .......... shite
Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:48 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: work this 1 out, then dont come

JOHN HOWARD says it's difficult to find reasons why any Australian should be out of work in the current economy .. and the government's changes to the `work for the dole' program are fair.

so its not zero%........but john thought it should be.

p.s....could this be you, nah cant be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

my fav bit is this one liner

is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum.

go find yourself a bridge or a new life. your comments are like your brush work .......... shite
Wow, you're a real people person!
Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

People are not saying don't come, just be aware of how truly difficult it may be, depending on your skill/trade.
Aus very much works on a 'who you know' system & without contacts & Aus experience, job hunting can be very difficult & frustrating here at the mo!
Same as Cornwall then.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Wow, you're a real people person!

or you could build yourself a bridge so you could get over it. yes 1 - 0 to you. Vash the master of the one liners has struck again.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:56 pm

Same as Cornwall then.
yep......only my network has been reduced to zero, yours may be higher, so more "in the know"contacts for you in Cornwall
Old Apr 17th 2009, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

Im just saying I know how it works....

I do hope you get a job soon dinnerdash. Dare I ask how long you've been job hunting?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 2:03 pm

Im just saying I know how it works....

I do hope you get a job soon dinnerdash. Dare I ask how long you've been job hunting?
sorry. feb 4th, worked 4 days in total, helping a local paint his garage, payed me $500

Last edited by dinner-dash; Apr 17th 2009 at 2:06 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Oh, not that long then.....

Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood.

My OH was unemployed for 5 months a couple of years ago. Its not nice, not nice at all.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

scamp1976 is on a distinguished road

........man its tough i have never witnessed anything like it....oh 1 more vacancy I went for, truck driver, over 100 also went for it. Employers can be so fussy now, so much that they can hire a blue collar manager just to do a manual job. ie..cleaning toilets, and yes this is the true.

Kids will be going hungry soon, its not easy with no contacts.it really is a case now of "who you know". I have even heard that the new rocket building in Robina are using labour from Sunshine coast who get cheap digs in the local holiday/caravan parks.
Yes this seems to be quite common. People who have never experienced a recession. Luckily I have seen it all , been through 2 of them myself. Don't worry, next recession you will know what to do.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:53 pm
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: work this 1 out, then dont come

or you could build yourself a bridge so you could get over it. yes 1 - 0 to you. Vash the master of the one liners has struck again.
Huzzah!
Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

When we came over 5 weeks ago we didn't know anybody, we had no Aus experience and we've both got jobs...

OH is working as an ali welder in a fabrication shop, moneys good and there is plenty of overtime and I've just got a job with Westpac's Investment and Pensions department.

I haven't found the "who you know" mentality here but like I said we've only been here 5 weeks.

I'm not trying to belittle anyones job hunts. I can't imagine how hard and soul destroying that would be (and SC I hope your husband gets a job closer to home soon ) but what I'm saying is yes some people are struggling, the worlds a bit mad at the minute but there are people out there who are doing just fine.

I agree that there should be threads explaining the work situation here but sometimes it can come across as condescending or bossy. Who is anyone on this site to tell people not to come? You may think you are doing your bit of kindness but it's not up to anyone but the individual. If they want to come even though the job situation isn't at its best then its up to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.