Why do we miss out on so much with a 457 Visa

Why do we miss out on so much with a 457 Visa

Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:23 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do we miss out on so much with a 457 Visa

Originally Posted by DCS
tut tut tut,

so you saying you have moved to a diffrent country and stright away you want to clame benefits.

that one of the biggest reasons i want to leave this one!

it wont be long before Australians are moving here to get away from the English scrounging off there state.

sorry if you think thats harsh but its what it says on the tin!
you clearly have not got a clue on the social network of Australia,and how centrelink plays a part in many Australians lives.With this atittiude you are moving to the wrong place .The USA is more to your way of thinking
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Swooty will become famous soon enough

On my 457 I have to wait 2 years till I can apply for PR, Im sure if im wrong I will be corrected.

Is it possible to go from a 457 straight to Citizenship ? and if so how long do I have to wait since landing here ??
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:31 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swooty
On my 457 I have to wait 2 years till I can apply for PR, Im sure if im wrong I will be corrected.

Is it possible to go from a 457 straight to Citizenship ? and if so how long do I have to wait since landing here ??
If you are eligible you can apply for PR whenever you like.

You can not go from 457 to citizenship but time on a 457 may count towards it.

G
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:32 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Citizenship is a 4 year residence requirement. You can use up to 3 years of temp residency towards that requirement but the last 12 months has to be as a PR. You can apply for PR prior to 2 years, the 2 years just does away with a skills assessment. If you have a positive skills assessment and a skill in demand you can apply at any time.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:37 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCS
tut tut tut,

so you saying you have moved to a diffrent country and stright away you want to clame benefits.

that one of the biggest reasons i want to leave this one!

it wont be long before Australians are moving here to get away from the English scrounging off there state.

sorry if you think thats harsh but its what it says on the tin!
I'll make an assumption then that you'll be saying 'thanks, but no thanks' to any first home owners grants, stamp duty concessions or baby bonuses which may come your way when you arrive in Aus......given that you haven't paid into the pot I think that's only fair, no?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 4:10 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

A few things:

457 has no bearing on whether you get the latest handout. Whether you paid tax in 2007/08 and your income in that year doe matter.

As a 457 you are not eligible for family tax benefit and THEREFORE not eligible for the "back to school bonus" or whatever they call it.

As you know you are not eligibile for various other things including the child care tax rebate thingy.

You are ELIGIBLE for LAFHA, but it is not something you claim from the ATO, it is something your employer offers (within acceptable ATO guidelines) or does not.

For many (if not all) 457ers, the LAFHA can result in ADDITIONAL income of $1000-2000/month; significantly more than any benfits you could get if you were PR and had been here 2 years.

As also said elsewhere; there is no time requirement to be on 457 before being PR. PR has rules and methods that determine what timeframes you may need to have been in the country but that has NOTHING to do with 457 per se.

Becoming citizen DOES allow you to count up to 3 years as a legal resident (for which your 457 qualifies).

Methinks you need to see if you can get LAFHA or not from your employer. It only costs them administration; it is the ATO (and be definition all other taxpayers) who will "pay" for you to receive that benefit.

PM me if you need specific assistance
Old Feb 24th 2009, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
I think yoll find if you are a 'resident' for tax purposes and earnt under $100,000 in the tax year to June 2008 you'll receive the $900 or so
Yes, I understand that the $900 is resident for tax purposes, not PR.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCS
i live in the uk and dont clame a penny. we could but dont because we can survive without it. we have a child and on a single income but we live within our means. if we cant afford something like a holiday we wont take one. i know people who clame child tax credits but go on two some three holidays a year. IMO that is wrong. that is not what tax credits are there for. they are supposed to make life easier not make life a doddle. we wouldnt be in the mess were in now if only those who really needed help got it!

how many people can say they clam tax credits because they couldn't survive without them?

my mother-in-law died of cancer last summer ages 55. while she was disabled with cancer she wasn't entitled to a penny because she hadn't been working for 5 years consecutive or claiming unemployment benefit previous. she didn't clame unemployment benefit because she didn't need it so why should she.
You are a whinging pom and I claim my $5. Seriously mate, you don't even live here but are passing judgement on those who do ? Go back to the Daily Mail.

I think the OP was more annoyed that he would even get zero from the stimulus package although that has hopefully proved to be incorrect.

Last edited by hoofie2002; Feb 24th 2009 at 4:52 am. Reason: Qualify Original Posters comments
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

werty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Yes, I understand that the $900 is resident for tax purposes, not PR.
Hmm, Im on a student visa, and for tax purposes i am classed as a resident! does that mean i will get the $900???? please please please???

I very much doubt it but can only hope!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:05 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

a) Did you pay tax in 2007/08 in Australia?
b) fif you earn under $100,000 in 2007/08?

If yes to both then yes you will get it.

Originally Posted by werty1
Hmm, Im on a student visa, and for tax purposes i am classed as a resident! does that mean i will get the $900???? please please please???

I very much doubt it but can only hope!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

werty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jayr
a) Did you pay tax in 2007/08 in Australia?
b) fif you earn under $100,000 in 2007/08?

If yes to both then yes you will get it.
I arrived in oz dec07 started working feb 08 as soon as work permit was granted so yes i am still working now and got my tax return last year! im getting a bit excited now!!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:28 am
Karma Comedian

So did you fill out a tax return for 2007/08 yet? If so did you end up a net payer of tax?

Roughly, if you earnt over $6000 between starting work and the end of the year (30 June 08) then you will have paid tax and will be entitled to the free money; in your case likley the full amount ($900 or whatever it is)

Originally Posted by werty1
I arrived in oz dec07 started working feb 08 as soon as work permit was granted so yes i am still working now and got my tax return last year! im getting a bit excited now!!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:21 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RCoight
If you want all the rights and privileges of being a permanent resident then you need to be....a permanent resident.
Sorry to be so harsh but that's the way it is.
As you say you probably should have researched it more. Hopefully your feelings will encourage others considering a 457 visa to make sure they have studied it properly.
On a 457 you get into the country much quicker dont you? friends of ours were here in a month through work, To Get PR it was a 2.5 year wait for us before we got our visa.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kez81
On a 457 you get into the country much quicker dont you? friends of ours were here in a month through work, To Get PR it was a 2.5 year wait for us before we got our visa.
2.5 years is an unusually long wait.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jayr
So did you fill out a tax return for 2007/08 yet? If so did you end up a net payer of tax?

Roughly, if you earnt over $6000 between starting work and the end of the year (30 June 08) then you will have paid tax and will be entitled to the free money; in your case likley the full amount ($900 or whatever it is)
Due to the effect of the Low Income Tax Offset, the majority of earners under $14,000 for the full year, will have paid no NET tax in 2007/2008.

I have come across quite a few people who think they paid tax last year, (as they paid it weekly from their wages) but do not realise that getting it all rebated after the end of the year, stops them from getting this Bonus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.