Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why do we miss out on so much with a 457 Visa

Why do we miss out on so much with a 457 Visa

Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Swooty will become famous soon enough
Default Why do we miss out on so much with a 457 Visa

We arrived in Brisbane in Feb 2008 on a 457 Temporary Sponsored Visa, and altough admitting I should have researched more, we find that we miss out on a lot being on a 457 rather than being a PR. Then there is the stimulus packages, although we are a single income family, have two children, pay all my taxes to the Australian Government, we are not eligible for this extra cash. We are also not eligible (or so I am told) for any Centrelink help with child care etc.:curse:

Can you all give me your comments, as I am concerned that I may have this wrong ??
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why do we miss out on so much with a 457 Visa

If you want all the rights and privileges of being a permanent resident then you need to be....a permanent resident.
Sorry to be so harsh but that's the way it is.
As you say you probably should have researched it more. Hopefully your feelings will encourage others considering a 457 visa to make sure they have studied it properly.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:50 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

We're on a 457 too, and yeah, it's crap we don't get anything. 457 was our only option, so we can't complain, if we didn't take that, we wouldn't be here!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You're on a Temp Visa. Why should the government give you all the perks of being PR if you're not. You could up and go at any minute depending on the company you're working for. It's one of the main issues of being on a 457. This is why everyone recommends people get PR if at all possible. If you can't and the only way to get to Aus is via the 457 you put up with the downsides and try and get PR as soon as you can.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:12 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

I'm aussie and never recieved anything from centrelink and will miss out on the $950.

Serves me right for going out working hard and trying to make something of myself.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. This time next year we will be able to apply for PR so not that long to wait, unfortunately my company moved me here on a 457 as that was quickest way to get me here to relieve the skills shortage in my line of work, so shouldn't moan as they paid all the relocation costs.

I did here they are doing away with the 457 soon aswell.

Oh well beach and BBQ tonight (Just like living in the UK ???)
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swooty
We arrived in Brisbane in Feb 2008 on a 457 Temporary Sponsored Visa, and altough admitting I should have researched more, we find that we miss out on a lot being on a 457 rather than being a PR. Then there is the stimulus packages, although we are a single income family, have two children, pay all my taxes to the Australian Government, we are not eligible for this extra cash. We are also not eligible (or so I am told) for any Centrelink help with child care etc.:curse:

Can you all give me your comments, as I am concerned that I may have this wrong ??
Short answer is that you are not a permanent resident. As the others have said if you want the benefits of PR you need to be PR or citizen.

If it's any consolation we did not get any of the last payouts nor will we get any of the next round of the stimulus payouts. Our combined income is too high, so like the previous poster, serves us right for both working and contributing to the economy.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:22 am
DCS
Forum Regular

DCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really nice

tut tut tut,

so you saying you have moved to a diffrent country and stright away you want to clame benefits.

that one of the biggest reasons i want to leave this one!

it wont be long before Australians are moving here to get away from the English scrounging off there state.

sorry if you think thats harsh but its what it says on the tin!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:27 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swooty
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. This time next year we will be able to apply for PR so not that long to wait, unfortunately my company moved me here on a 457 as that was quickest way to get me here to relieve the skills shortage in my line of work, so shouldn't moan as they paid all the relocation costs.

I did here they are doing away with the 457 soon aswell.

Oh well beach and BBQ tonight (Just like living in the UK ???)
Along with the tax free relocation costs did your company not sort you out with LAFHA? You cannot get it from the moment you apply for PR but could have been a large tax advantage over some "normal" PR people. I was 457 for a year initially and I certainly valued my large tax free wedge of earnings far in excess of any government handouts.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCS
tut tut tut,

so you saying you have moved to a diffrent country and stright away you want to clame benefits.

that one of the biggest reasons i want to leave this one!

it wont be long before Australians are moving here to get away from the English scrounging off there state.

sorry if you think thats harsh but its what it says on the tin!
I don't think the OP wants to claim benefits. Just get the same bits that permanent residents get such as child tax benefit, some of the stimulus money, etc.

Are you saying that when you get here you are going to refuse any centrelink payments? No rent rebate? No child care rebate? No child tax benefits?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 30 years next month and never had a hand out of any kind from the government. Who knows, maybe we will get the $900 one - that will be the first. We have both always worked and paid a significant whack in tax. Now we are self funded retirees we arent even entitled to any age benefit either nor are we likely to be when we hit 65.

As the others have said, you want the benefits you come as a permanent resident and not a temporary one. On the bright side, at this stage if you decide to pull the plug at least you will be able to cash in the super you have paid and not have it languishing in some Aussie super fund until you reach retirement age.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:37 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
Been here 30 years next month and never had a hand out of any kind from the government. Who knows, maybe we will get the $900 one - that will be the first. We have both always worked and paid a significant whack in tax. Now we are self funded retirees we arent even entitled to any age benefit either nor are we likely to be when we hit 65.

As the others have said, you want the benefits you come as a permanent resident and not a temporary one. On the bright side, at this stage if you decide to pull the plug at least you will be able to cash in the super you have paid and not have it languishing in some Aussie super fund until you reach retirement age.
I thought you could get you super if you give up your perm residency.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sandra
Along with the tax free relocation costs did your company not sort you out with LAFHA? You cannot get it from the moment you apply for PR but could have been a large tax advantage over some "normal" PR people. I was 457 for a year initially and I certainly valued my large tax free wedge of earnings far in excess of any government handouts.
Sandra, I was told that I was not entilted to LAFHA ? IWILL HAVE TO take another look at this, can you give me any advice, I woudl prefer it if you could PM me, so I dont get stonned to death in here for simply inquiring on some facts ?

Here's one to stir things up again, in the UK we received 116 ponds a month Child Benefit for haveing 2 children, this was regardles of income. We now live here and get no child benefit, (not a PR, blah blah blah so dont get it, thats fine) so should I still be entitled to child benefit in the UK ?? or are we living in limbo land ??
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

I think yoll find if you are a 'resident' for tax purposes and earnt under $100,000 in the tax year to June 2008 you'll receive the $900 or so
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:48 am
DCS
Forum Regular

DCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I don't think the OP wants to claim benefits. Just get the same bits that permanent residents get such as child tax benefit, some of the stimulus money, etc.

Are you saying that when you get here you are going to refuse any centrelink payments? No rent rebate? No child care rebate? No child tax benefits?
i live in the uk and dont clame a penny. we could but dont because we can survive without it. we have a child and on a single income but we live within our means. if we cant afford something like a holiday we wont take one. i know people who clame child tax credits but go on two some three holidays a year. IMO that is wrong. that is not what tax credits are there for. they are supposed to make life easier not make life a doddle. we wouldnt be in the mess were in now if only those who really needed help got it!

how many people can say they clam tax credits because they couldn't survive without them?

my mother-in-law died of cancer last summer ages 55. while she was disabled with cancer she wasn't entitled to a penny because she hadn't been working for 5 years consecutive or claiming unemployment benefit previous. she didn't clame unemployment benefit because she didn't need it so why should she.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.