Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why A Big Australia When Future Is Automation?

Why A Big Australia When Future Is Automation?

Old Jun 14th 2015, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why A Big Australia When Future Is Automation?

Originally Posted by Beoz
Exactly.

Just like our sewer pipes that keep blocking every 3 months. The big fig trees go looking for water and get straight through the clay pipes. I ask the plumber what the solution is. He said a complete sewer replacement to PVC pipes at a cost of $15000. Or we just get him round every 3 months at the cost of $150. Give or take a bit of inflation that's 20 years to see the return on investment.

Clay pipes it is
The cutter blade on the end of the pipe cleaner itself will finish the clay pipes off. There has to be an analogy in there from that view point as well.

150 bucks is sure cheap for a plumber call out BTW even just to run the machine..... used to be 300 bucks about 6 years ago here !
Old Jun 16th 2015, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

There you go Garry. The get out clause of course is:

There will be new jobs and industries that emerge but if Australia is not planning and investing in the right areas it will get left behind.

Government must lead the way with clear and detailed education, innovation and technology policies that are funded adequately

CEDA warns more than five million jobs could go in next 15 years

and of course this article appears just above

http://www.news.com.au/technology/ga...-1227399965709
Old Jun 16th 2015, 5:10 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

There will be new jobs and industries that emerge but if Australia is not planning and investing in the right areas it will get left behind.
Which is more an article of faith than any kind of clear and reasoned statement or plan - and fundamentally misses the main issues (how many jobs, and what about those people who are out classed by machines from any jobs?)

iPhone to Android transfer: Should you ditch Apple?
Clickbait that singularly fails to address the question it posed. iPhone 6 is going to be outclassed by the MotoG v3 - a bargain basement phone. So why not pay $200 rather than $1000, particularly since you know it will be obsolete in 2 years?

A site ran this screenshot comparison of android and ios:
iOS 9 vs Android M: Visual Comparison [Screenshots] | Redmond Pie
and even allowing for the frankly terrible setup of the android shots, it demonstrated that the look is very similar, and apple have now copied ~85% of the android goodies, excepting some pretty key ones.

You have to be nuts to overpay today.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Government must lead the way with clear and detailed education, innovation and technology policies that are funded adequately

CEDA warns more than five million jobs could go in next 15 years

iPhone to Android transfer: Should you ditch Apple?
I'm in Liverpool and just bought the Motorola MotoG 4G 5" mobile on EE for £150 (and I get the Vat back at the airport). Fantastic phone for the money. Why anyone would pay $1200 for an Apple fashion accessory is beyond me
Old Jun 16th 2015, 10:05 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Fantastic phone for the money. Why anyone would pay $1200 for an Apple fashion accessory is beyond me
I'm starting to feel the same way. My lady's Macbook Air finally gave up the ghost and at first I was tempted to buy a new one.

But then I did a bit of research as I wasn't sure what to do, and I certainly didn't want to go back to Windows. Sure enough a third option came up which began sounding more and more interesting: the Chromebook.

It really seemed perfect for her needs so I decided to get one, and what a great machine it has proven to be. Way better than her previous Air, and at a fraction of the price (US$300 + postage , all delivered quickly from Amazon). It's a fabulous laptop and I still cannot believe we ended up with a better solution at such a price.

Still using iPhones though.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
I'm starting to feel the same way. My lady's Macbook Air finally gave up the ghost and at first I was tempted to buy a new one.

But then I did a bit of research as I wasn't sure what to do, and I certainly didn't want to go back to Windows. Sure enough a third option came up which began sounding more and more interesting: the Chromebook.

It really seemed perfect for her needs so I decided to get one, and what a great machine it has proven to be. Way better than her previous Air, and at a fraction of the price (US$300 + postage , all delivered quickly from Amazon). It's a fabulous laptop and I still cannot believe we ended up with a better solution at such a price.

Well you've made a start. Onwards and upwards from here
Old Jun 17th 2015, 12:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I was just in the city and it started raining so I popped into the nearby Apple store. Had a look at the iwatch - what is the point of that pile of shite?

Also noticed that the 128Gb iphone plus is an eye-watering GBP789
Old Jun 17th 2015, 12:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by astera

Chromebooks are great value for what you pay and where you have good WiFi - outside of that they struggle
Old Jun 17th 2015, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I was just in the city and it started raining so I popped into the nearby Apple store. Had a look at the iwatch - what is the point of that pile of shite?

Also noticed that the 128Gb iphone plus is an eye-watering GBP789
The Samsung S6 at 128GB is retailing for £719 via the Samsung website so not too far off the iphone 6 plus price. Which is kind of strange considering the Samsung Note 4 is a more comparable device based on size, which is retailing at £569. It comes with 32GB but expandable via micro SD.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Look at automation.

Apple is finally getting multi tasking.

http://m.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/top-7-features-coming-to-your-apple-iphone-ipad-with-ios-9-20150609-ghjjus.touch.touch.touch.touch.touch.touch.html
Old Jun 20th 2015, 1:11 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it nice that they have finally reached "Windows 1" level of tiled panes. Who knows, in a few years we might get to "Windows 2" level of overlapping panes.

Still, they are only doing because they have the ipad pro in the wings - which means the A4 pad concept I outlined before should get a market testing (though without the full 4K display that it needs).

Meanwhile they've dropped the ipad mini - concentrating on phablets for that class of device it seems.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Isn't it nice that they have finally reached "Windows 1" level of tiled panes. Who knows, in a few years we might get to "Windows 2" level of overlapping panes.

Still, they are only doing because they have the ipad pro in the wings - which means the A4 pad concept I outlined before should get a market testing (though without the full 4K display that it needs).

Meanwhile they've dropped the ipad mini - concentrating on phablets for that class of device it seems.
This multitasking stuff is going to be enormous for the world . I bet they were holding off because the more 'automation' there is, the less they will sell.....ho ho ho

Yep. As I have said before, you only need a phablet and a laplet these days. In many cases you only need a phablet.

Last edited by Beoz; Jun 20th 2015 at 2:23 am.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

What we need is a flexible foldable screen that can fit into a pocket.

So you really can have 10 inches in your pants, only it looks like 5 inches until you pull it out.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 2:48 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
What we need are AR contact lens

So you really can have 10 inches in your pants, only it looks like 5 inches until you pull it out.
Isn't that what we all have at the moment?
Old Jun 20th 2015, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace