Why Australia?

Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:50 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Why Australia?

Originally Posted by coolshadows
I guess it depend's where in the UK you are. Last year our monthly bills (on average) were:

Water (unmetered) - £18
Council Tax - £98
TV License - £11
Gas - £10
Elec - £40

Can't imagine it changing that much in a year. Gas/Elec were actually standing orders and they kept re-embursing me as I was over paying (but didn't alter the standing orders!).
I agree 100%, and the size of house, how many daughters having long showers, how long the pool pump and heaters are running etc.

I know that my own Electric bills are twice that of others in my area.

Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I agree 100%, and the size of house, how many daughters having long showers, how long the pool pump and heaters are running etc.

I know that my own Electric bills are twice that of others in my area.
Perhaps you should get off the computer and start looking at ways to lessen the carbon footprint of yourself and your frowsy daughters.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:06 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Perhaps you should get off the computer and start looking at ways to lessen the carbon footprint of yourself and your frowsy daughters.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:08 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I wonder if our UK (electric) power shower was more energy efficient than the rheem one we use here.

I know it used less water (we didn't have to wait for it to heat up!).
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudger82
What planet are you on? $53k is not a literal pittance, many couples manage on this alone and manage to get by. I am in a very skilled job, yet get less than this because the area I am in is over-populated by people in my industry.

What kind of after school job pays over a grand a week? Get a grip
And yet SA will give you Govt grants to help you get on the housing ladder if you earn $66K and less and have 2 kids. Even SA thinks $66K is a low wage!!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674187
Old Jun 27th 2010, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudger82
What planet are you on? $53k is not a literal pittance, many couples manage on this alone and manage to get by. I am in a very skilled job, yet get less than this because the area I am in is over-populated by people in my industry.

What kind of after school job pays over a grand a week? Get a grip
53k is certainly not 30GBP is my main point.

I knew secretaries that got 53k in Sydney. That was in 2002. Someone in their second job might get that - grads would probably get it too.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
I guess it depend's where in the UK you are. Last year our monthly bills (on average) were:

Water (unmetered) - £18
Council Tax - £98
TV License - £11
Gas - £6.88
Elec - £44.81

Can't imagine it changing that much in a year.
We're in Fetcham, Surrey, just outside of leatherdead.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
I better start saving,i like a lot of lettuce
Its gone up since you left. So has tuna
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
And yet SA will give you Govt grants to help you get on the housing ladder if you earn $66K and less and have 2 kids. Even SA thinks $66K is a low wage!!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674187

In the spirit of hysterical ramblings I should add the govt said families under $100,000 a year were low income. Frankly I would say $200,000

BTW I just love the word 'Frowsy'
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:27 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
In the spirit of hysterical ramblings I should add the govt said families under $100,000 a year were low income. Frankly I would say $200,000

BTW I just love the word 'Frowsy'
$200,000? Can you run a Prado/Landcruiser AND an air-conditioned McMansion on that these days?
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
$200,000? Can you run a Prado/Landcruiser AND an air-conditioned McMansion on that these days?
The classic dream of the new arrival from Brum or Bognor
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
I love it here and wouldn't go back for all the tea in China, but the UK is cheaper for most things now. Plenty of things cheaper here though and it makes no odds to me if the UK is cheaper overall because I don't live there.
Yes, it is cheaper than it was, but still not cheaper relatively. This is because Labour crashed the currency. I did try to explain this upthread with some patience but as usual just got abuse for it.

For those people struggling to understand this, I will put it one more time. When a government crashes a currency by a third and you happen to live outside that jurisdiction, everything within it suddenly looks really cheap. Now, this is not magic, but currency devaluation, and it is a clumsy and dangerous economic tool, usually used by Labour governments that have bankrupted a nation. It is not a good thing, because it could lead to a deflationary debt spiral, and then nasty people called bond traders will no longer invest in the nation, the economy will collapse like in Greece, and there will be very high unemployment for a very long time.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:41 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Yes, it is cheaper than it was, but still not cheaper relatively. This is because Labour crashed the currency. I did try to explain this upthread with some patience but as usual just got abuse for it.
What you don't seem to understand is that many people are NOT using the exchange rate as a basis for comparison - this discussion has been had MANY times before, and the merits or not of considering the exchange rate have also been discussed ad nauseum. Thanks for your explanation though, seems more to serve the political axe you have to grind (in this thread & others) than any discussion on the COL in Australia vs UK.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
What you don't seem to understand is that many people are NOT using the exchange rate as a basis for comparison - this discussion has been had MANY times before, and the merits or not of considering the exchange rate have also been discussed ad nauseum. Thanks for your explanation though, seems more to serve the political axe you have to grind (in this thread & others) than any discussion on the COL in Australia vs UK.
I know all the debates very well thank you. Wage/COL usually shows nothing different. The one area where I would agree is probably the tradesmen who in the UK earned preposterous sums of money that are not replicated here in Aus, and they would certainly notice a decline in SOL. But that is more to do with the criminal prices they go away with in the UK than any deficiency in Australia. I'll add that those days are over though, in the UK, because the economy's one way trip down the pan will not sustain the kind of prices they charged before the crash.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seneca21
I know all the debates very well thank you. Wage/COL usually shows nothing different. The one area where I would agree is probably the tradesmen who in the UK earned preposterous sums of money that are not replicated here in Aus, and they would certainly notice a decline in SOL. But that is more to do with the criminal prices they go away with in the UK than any deficiency in Australia. I'll add that those days are over though, in the UK, because the economy's one way trip down the pan will not sustain the kind of prices they charged before the crash.
How do you know these debates "very well". You have only been here 5min.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.