Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connection?

Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connection?

Old May 16th 2015, 5:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connectio

I've given this question some thought, as an Aussie who's about to move permanently to the UK. I've surprised myself with the answer I've come up with.

There are lots of places in Australia that I've visited, loved and could see myself happily living in. Sleepy little Albany, with its pristine beaches and village feel. The southwest of WA's karri country. Melbourne, with its milder climate (than Perth), its art scene and great shopping. Sydney with its 'bigger city' profile, lots to do and see. Beautiful Tassie, quaint Adelaide, tons more.

But if I was staying in Australia, the only place I'd live is in Perth. Nothing to do with the climate (which is actually too hot for me), or the beaches, or what you can and can't do easily - I'd stay in Perth because it's where all my immediate family is.

The closer I come to leaving, the more sentimental I get
Old May 17th 2015, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connectio

4 months of the year - I'd like to live on a big property near Myrtleford etc - so I could be out on Feathertop, Hotham or Falls, or be near the Main Range of NSW within a reasonable drive.
Old May 22nd 2015, 3:13 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
as an Aussie who's about to move...

the only place I'd live is in Perth. Nothing to do with the climate (which is actually too hot for me)...
Those two statements are quite contradictory.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The closer I come to leaving, the more sentimental I get
You'll miss family, which as you mentioned is the reason you would only want to live in Perth.

But family reasons aside, most Aussies I know who have made the move to the UK are not keen on coming back.
Old May 22nd 2015, 4:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Those two statements are quite contradictory.

I know that some people think Aussies are all sun worshippers, but that's like saying all Brits love grey skies and chilly weather

You'll miss family, which as you mentioned is the reason you would only want to live in Perth.

But family reasons aside, most Aussies I know who have made the move to the UK are not keen on coming back.
Different strokes, and all that. If Scouse pops his clogs before me, there's no way I'll be staying in the UK, I'll come 'home'.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 12:12 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I started this topic back in 2012 with the aim for a fun-filled and informative (yet casual) discussion on all the places worth considering as a place to call home.

Little did I know then that I should have been asking: "Where in Australia can I live to ensure a proper internet connection?"

Technological aspects aside, and adding my experience of spending quite a few days in the Gold Coast, I must admit that southern Queensland would be my main area of focus. Maybe Coolangatta, maybe Brisbane due to "big city needs" (though Brisbane is hardly a BIG city). Then again Darwin is always on my mind as I think the people there are different in a positive sense, more open and less pretentious.