Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats Darwin like?

Whats Darwin like?

Old Jan 8th 2010, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Discovery has a spectacular aura aboutDiscovery has a spectacular aura aboutDiscovery has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Whats Darwin like?

Well 13 people murdered in the Territory last year. This is probably less than the number of people murdered in some other states in a month. To be honest the rate per capital figure is not really of any help to those who have victims of crime. It is a fact that in absolute terms there is more homicide in the other state capitals.

Last edited by Discovery; Jan 8th 2010 at 11:51 am.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:31 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Discovery
It is a fact that in absolute terms there is more homicide in the other state capitals.
You've convinced me. Lets all move to Darwin, its safer up there....less murders.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

ShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really nice

Your joking about fatal stabbings occuring once a day in any city in AUS right? There wasn't even 365 Murders In the ENTIRE COUNTRY in 2007, almost half of that. Detroit with a population of approx 1 million has over 400 murders some years. The whole damn country of Australia has less than 1 city in the States and your actually thinking someone gets murdered once a day in any city in AUS?

As ive stated before Australia is not bad at all in terms of crime and number of murders.

That is 1 of the last things I would be worried about moving to Aus personally. Not sure why people even discuss it very often?

Originally Posted by Discovery
Could be worse you know. At least the jaws are fixable. Still not as bad as some other capital cities in Australia where fatal stabbings appear to be a daily occurence.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
You can fly to singapore for shopping though.
If you have lots of money, Singapore is not cheap
Old Jan 9th 2010, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pozz
We had been planning to head to Perth but now having a peek at other areas.... especially since my OH watched WDU the other day and quite liked the look of Darwin.

Having never been to Darwin, what is it like.... compared to other areas of Oz?

The look of Darwin? What look
Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:55 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthine
If you have lots of money, Singapore is not cheap
Really? When did you last go to Singapore?

Just returned from a shopping trip! It was incredibly cheap. I got a nice pair of leather work shoes for $50 AU!

Much better than the poor quality, rip off shopping in Sydney.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 10:03 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Some people like it but l would'nt want to live there, l think theres much better places in OZ to live.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 10:11 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Some people like it but l would'nt want to live there, l think theres much better places in OZ to live.
Don't you live in Canberra?
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:20 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Don't you live in Canberra?
No l don't live in Canberra.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

oldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really nice

I arrived oct 2008 and wife and son in feb 2009.
Weather:-
Hot and humid in the wet season, but you do start to get used to it.
Last year had the air con on most of the wet season, this year the lounge for about 4 hours in the evening and the bedroom ones on for a couple of hours when going to bed.In the dry dont have it on at all.
Most days don't tend to notice, only thinking about it when I hear someone from down south commenting on the humidity.
Dry season absolutely georgous, although the down side is the pool is a bit too cold for me then.
All depends on the individual, I wouldnt much like some of the 40 degree days recently seen in other places!

Crime/broken jaws/murder:-
I believe most of those murder statistics relate to crimes in aboriginal communities. Broken jaws relate to people who have drunk quite a lot. Most of the violence seems to relate to either remote communities or leaving night clubs/pubs at 4.00am in mitchel street in the CBD.Personally I havnt seen any violence/crime but then I am a bit old for the early morning clubbing!!

Employment:-
Plenty of job adds in the paper and internet. People will say there is not many job adds for a _______ but then in a city with only 120.000 ish people the amount of jobs will be less but unemployment is very low.

Prices:-
Shops more expensive than other cities (maybe in the order of 20%) but you need to look around.Just picked up 3 steaks for $6.00 which I thought was pretty good. Petrol more expensive, just been out and the local garage $1.32 at coles and $1.26 at woolies per litre.
Power and water prob more expensive, last bill $630 for the 3 months but on the other hand a friend of mine was $1900 (I think his air con is on all the time).

Biggest down side is the price of housing, have a look at realestate.com.au .
Darwin and northern suberbs in particular but houses in palmerston which is 20km or so down the road is much cheaper. Renting also expensive, I pay $625 per week for an old 3 bed elevated in the northern suberbs although it does have a massive pool.There are cheaper ones near me but I was in a bit of a rush to get things sorted before the rest of the familly arrived.

The locals are mostly friendly and very laid back. We love living in the tropics, even though occassionly it can be a little challenging with the humidity and even my son (an awkward 12 year old) has settled down. We have no regrets (and we did have some aprehension before arriving mostly due to starting this in our mid forties). I dont know if we will still be living in Darwin in 20 years time but at this stage have no plans to move.

Old.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 4:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by asprilla
You've convinced me. Lets all move to Darwin, its safer up there....less murders.
Tasmania has the lowest crime rate in OZ, if l was going to live somewhwere a bit remote l'd choose Tasmania nice cool climate , nice green countryside and probably the best scenery in OZ.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 4:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mohogony
Tasmania has the lowest crime rate in OZ, if l was going to live somewhwere a bit remote l'd choose Tasmania nice cool climate , nice green countryside and probably the best scenery in OZ.
Tasmania is beautiful e.g. places like Freycinet and Cradle Mountain. But Darwin has Kakadu, Litchfield National Park (which are arguably some of the most spectacular places in Aus) all within easy reach.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:51 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

i got no idea what Darwin is like, although we'll find out later in the year when we do the Ghan.

Gotta admit my first reaction to the thread title was 'old dead bloke with a white beard' burt had to post something remotely sensible too.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Really? When did you last go to Singapore?

Just returned from a shopping trip! It was incredibly cheap. I got a nice pair of leather work shoes for $50 AU!

Much better than the poor quality, rip off shopping in Sydney.
I no longer buy clothes in Australia - maybe a few things at a surf or outdoor shop like Kathmandu. I buy all my clothes on our twice annual trips to Singapore ($300 or less return on Tiger) or KL.

I think Singapore is expensive for drinking and eating though - apart from hawker markets. Quality hotels can be expensive there too.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I no longer buy clothes in Australia - maybe a few things at a surf or outdoor shop like Kathmandu. I buy all my clothes on our twice annual trips to Singapore ($300 or less return on Tiger) or KL.

I think Singapore is expensive for drinking and eating though - apart from hawker markets. Quality hotels can be expensive there too.
I stayed at the Fullerton! Certainly beats Best Western!

Hawker market $3 for a laksa. $4 for a beer. I am happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.