Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is life like in Bundaberg, Queensland?

What is life like in Bundaberg, Queensland?

Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:30 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light
Default What is life like in Bundaberg, Queensland?

We are looking to live somewhere north of Brisbane. Bundaberg seems to be a nice area.

Can anyone tell me if this would be a good area to live, ie schools, work ( My husband is a plummer (Builder)).

Is the property cheaper there?

We are four children age ranging from 3 to 17 years olds.

Cheers
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is life like in Bundaberg, Queensland?

Originally Posted by julie hilton
We are looking to live somewhere north of Brisbane. Bundaberg seems to be a nice area.

Can anyone tell me if this would be a good area to live, ie schools, work ( My husband is a plummer (Builder)).

Cheers
Hi Julie

I recently visited Bundy as part of my Queensland recce.

The property is much cheaper, in fact its night and day compared with Brissie/SC/GC.

Jobs; I visited the local recruitment/job shop and asked one of the staff about the employment prospects in the area. She was quite frank and was honest enough to say that Bundy has one of the highest unemployment rates in Queensland. Not good.

Its quite a far drive from anywhere to be honest and the prospects for me and the family didnt look to great. So we struck it off our list.

Sorry to give a dampner on it!

Steve
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:50 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light

Can anyone recommend a coastal town between Brisbane and Bundaberg to live. I don't won't to live to close to the city.

Once I have some good recommendations I will research the areas more closely.

Thanks
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone recommend a coastal town between Brisbane and Bundaberg to live. I don't won't to live to close to the city.

Thanks

Julie, we have looked closely at Caloundra and is on our short list. Nambour is only 15 mins from the coast and also on our short list. I have visited both and look pretty decent with a Uni nearby, big shops, hospitals etc etc.

Both are about a 70 min drive to Brissie CBD.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:57 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

not between Brisbane and Bundy...but further up I am in Yeppoon its a lovely place to live and although the prices are now rising its a good place to be www.capricorncoast.com.au
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:58 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers
Hi Julie
I asked about Bundaberg myself a few weeks ago, check out the thread here

You could also try PM teach (Sarah) who lives up there and was very helpful
Cheers
Martyn
Old Jul 27th 2006, 4:28 am
Just Joined

eddie scrafton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tin
Hi Julie
I asked about Bundaberg myself a few weeks ago, check out the thread here

You could also try PM teach (Sarah) who lives up there and was very helpful
Cheers
Martyn
My family and I moved out in Dec of last year to the Sunshine Coast and we are amazingly happy here.

We rent in Buderim at the moment and have bough a plot of land in Rainforest Sanctuary to build on. It really is great here.

Amazing beaches, friendly people, loads to do. Beaches at Maroochydore, Mooloolaba and Alex Headland are great.

You are about 20 minutes from Montville and Maleny, the same to Australia Zoo at Beerwah, 30 minutes to Noosa, 60 minutes drive South to Brisbane. The Glasshouse Mountains are on your doorstep as well.

Caloundra is closer to Brisbane by about 20 minutes (it's where I work). It's really nice as well, with King's Beach being a great place for the family.

Having been to Nambour, Gympie, Maryborough, Kingaroy and Bundaberg recently with my job I couldn't, personally, recommend them, but someone here might be able to offer an alternative point of view on those places. I'd have to say the Sunshine Coast is your best option if you have 4 kids and want a great lifestyle for them (but I'm biased)

As you move further North up the coast house and land prices do become cheaper, but you are moving further away from the big facilities offered in Brisbane.

Hope this helps.

Eddie
Old Jul 27th 2006, 4:47 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Most of my family live in Bundy & wouldnt live down this way if you paid them .

It depends on what you want - if you want the "town" feel then Bundy would be your cup of tea, the Sunshine Coast is not much more than a big extention of Brisbane really with some nice beaches added. Compared to Bundy the SC is huge & more "city like".

Bundy certainly has higher unemployment than lots of other places in Qld but it depends on what you do for a living. Property is much cheaper (but even it has risen a great deal over the last 5 years) & there is not much that you cant get in Bundy.

Probably the biggest deciding factor would be the sort of person you are. If you are a big city sort of person ie likes a large variety of shops really close, theme parks & touristy stuff, lots of razzle & dazzle to keep yourself & kids amused then the SC would suit. If on the other hand you enjoy a slower pace of life, the kids dont want to constantly be entertained with new stuff & your happy to be in a community where there are alot of farmers etc (cos lets face it, a huge proportion of the population in Bundy are either farmers or related to farmers! ) then Bundaberg may suit.

Personally I love the place & would move there given half a chance but Dagboy isnt that adventurous & likes the stability of his job here in Brisbane .