Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you not like about living in OZ

What do you not like about living in OZ

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:38 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you not like about living in OZ

Originally Posted by bithbheo

the poor driving skills especially the b-dubs
whats a b-dub?????
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:44 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Syedney
And for God's sake , don't come on the 457 visa...Unless you've negotiated a good LAFHA!!!!

All 457s in NSW:

* Pay hiked rent if you want to live somewhere where it's clean

* Pay outrageous schooling fees which is per child $4,500 every year

* Classified as temporary visitor when it comes to schooling (so you hwavt o pay their fees) AND YET classified as a resident for TAX purposes so you pay the TAX!!!
Agree with the school fees rip off in NSW, definately not agree with rental hikes at all, rent is same whether you are temp/perm/citizen or howling fool!
LAFHA is totally required, suprised its not a 'given' as a tax incentive, lucky for me I have it!!!
If you don't have LAFHA and you are eligible for it then sort it out, its easy to set up and your company, whatever excuse they give, doesn't suffer for it. They shoudl see it as a recruitment and retention initiative. Do your homework, ATO website has all the info the individual/company needs to set it up.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:07 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Too expensive
Nanny state
Too many levels of government for such a small population
Radio is terrible and TV worse
Non existent public transport
Housing build quality poor
Laid back is the disguise for lazy
Third world broadband or when its good its really expensive

Yup these are good. I will add that I get sick of having to wait for months on end after the rest of the world has had their shiny new technology/gadgets/gizmos only for them to arrive here out of date and usually at exchange rate + 2-3 hundred dollars.

S
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
whats a b-dub?????
Here you go A Mini Road Train.

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Alucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really niceAlucard is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Ads about stuff that tell you how 'world class' this is in OZ is when its actually a crap service/product.
True.

Expensive and overpriced everything.
True again.

No competition in many things/markets.
So very true - in Perth, there's an oligopoly between Coles and Woolsworth and they price whatever they want

The myth it is so sporty here, when the avg person is really lardy and the closest they get to sport is watching the large TV - previous post.
Around 25% of kids are overweight or obese. Obesity in adults is only just outmatched by the US.

The myth about 'mateship" when there is a real backstabbing mentality here. Ask Rudd
The mate thing is overrated.

Summer in most bits of OZ its damn uncomfortable.
I cannot go outside in the open air during summer. And winter is even worse.

The social life, look a bbq is nice but every weekend for life is a bit unstimulating and many people dont do much more than that.
True. In Perth, everywhere is closed at 5PM!! The only exception is Friday. Even on Saturday, it closes at 5PM. Big village someone said and it's true.

Sugar in food products. Why is everything so sweet and BLAND.
Oh man, this - everything is way too sweet.

The distance and cost to go anywhere.
I was astonished at this. In most suburbs, you have to have a car to go buy groceries or anything. Want to get some cash from the atm? Drive for 5min.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Having jsut come back from the annual visit to the Relies in the UK most of the niggling things seem minor. Thinsg i do miss or dislike by living in Perth are:

Long summer nights
Amazon.co.uk
country pubs
no historic anything
Insulation or lack of it (it feels bloody freezing)
long way from anywhere
Little Chef.. (just kidding )
BBC news 24 without adverts
a decent lawn
tax on buying second hand cars

However the benfits or things i like outweigh these so reckon we are happy with the move. Disagree about the congestion bit, having spent a good part of my time in the UK parked on the M25 or passing miles upon miles of cones with no obvious work being done, the small amount of traffic we get here is bliss. I find the customer service similar to the UK and while Telstra broadband is abysmal the otehr providers seem fine. Also what has happended to radio 1, it was utter crap.

Cheers
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
Having jsut come back from the annual visit to the Relies in the UK most of the niggling things seem minor. Thinsg i do miss or dislike by living in Perth are:

Long summer nights
Amazon.co.uk
country pubs
no historic anything
Insulation or lack of it (it feels bloody freezing)
long way from anywhere
Little Chef.. (just kidding )
BBC news 24 without adverts
a decent lawn
tax on buying second hand cars

However the benfits or things i like outweigh these so reckon we are happy with the move. Disagree about the congestion bit, having spent a good part of my time in the UK parked on the M25 or passing miles upon miles of cones with no obvious work being done, the small amount of traffic we get here is bliss. I find the customer service similar to the UK and while Telstra broadband is abysmal the otehr providers seem fine. Also what has happended to radio 1, it was utter crap.

Cheers

I think what benefits you have failed to mention, which are probably the BIGGEST weights in favour of Aus are:

Tadaa:....... In number 1 : The weather!

In number 2: Clean beaches!

In number 3: Landscape & Fauna!

Note: Beaches is not part of landscape as it's enjoyed on it's own.

As you can see, what we really like here is everything bar the ppl, the economy, the politics & the driving!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:34 am
Social Grenade Thrower

As you can see, what we really like here is everything bar the ppl, the economy, the politics & the driving!!!
lmfao!!! That'll be right!!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

chrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of light

Racism almost everywhere you look.

The arrogance of the average Australian.

The poor level of education which no doubt sometimes leads to the above.

In Queensland specifically how eeryting seems to shut down at 7pm on weekdays and Saturdays, early afternoon on Sundays.

The appaling TV, unless you want to watch US crime programmes (SVU, Criminal Minds,NCS Miami NY LA etc).

Blatant prduct placement and over advertising - films interuppted every 5 minutes for 10 minutes worth of adverts.

The fact that the country is stuck in the 1970's.

The price of most things - very expensive.

The height of summer is too hot.

The idiot drivers - Think it's clever to doughnuts on resodential streets or to drive up your backside on a motorway.

The fact that they check your bags when you leave a store.

The shocking level of customer service.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Although I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people here would be moaning about those exact same subjects if they were still in the UK
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:43 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80

Although I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people here would be moaning about those exact same subjects if they were still in the UK
yes....thats the next thread!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:46 am
Just Joined

merv63 is on a distinguished road

I think what benefits you have failed to mention, which are probably the BIGGEST weights in favour of Aus are:

Tadaa:....... In number 1 : The weather!

In number 2: Clean beaches!

In number 3: Landscape & Fauna!

Note: Beaches is not part of landscape as it's enjoyed on it's own.

lol glad i put this post on here given us lots to smile about knowing we are not the only ones!!!!! thought we were just winging poms haha. syedney you said it in one and well said. we like the place but the people are backstabbing beep beep beeps!!! who just want to screw you over, every pom or south african or anyone not from here says it. well thats in wa anyway. we are yet to come across a loyal and sincere aussie. so keep posting its giving us lots of laughs. would be great to hear from anyone from south west wa we are in bunbury.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:57 am
Just Joined

merv63 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chrissystevo
Racism almost everywhere you look.

The arrogance of the average Australian.

The poor level of education which no doubt sometimes leads to the above.

In Queensland specifically how eeryting seems to shut down at 7pm on weekdays and Saturdays, early afternoon on Sundays.

The appaling TV, unless you want to watch US crime programmes (SVU, Criminal Minds,NCS Miami NY LA etc).

Blatant prduct placement and over advertising - films interuppted every 5 minutes for 10 minutes worth of adverts.

The fact that the country is stuck in the 1970's.

The price of most things - very expensive.

The height of summer is too hot.

The idiot drivers - Think it's clever to doughnuts on resodential streets or to drive up your backside on a motorway.

The fact that they check your bags when you leave a store.

The shocking level of customer service.
priceless!!!!! you are right about the rascism most definately, i have never come accross such a group of people who hate the english so much or infact anyone who is not even closely an aussie!!! i think that they seem to forget that most of them decent from our rejects!!!

as for checking your bags as you come out of the shops that annoys the hell out of me. speaking of which our english friend went for a medical for a job the other day and had to have someone stand with him whilst he peed in the pot for the urine sample as apparently alot of people have one 'they made earlier' in thier pockets!!! oh what an honest nation we live in. and alot of empolyers here in wa check the urine of the staff on almost a daily basis for drugs and alcohol as it is so bad over here apparently.

the saying its beer o clock also irritates me and the fact you see them all on a friday afternoon driving in thier utes with thier dogs and thier fluro shirts with thier stubby (or should i say bottle of piss) and we are only just picking up the kids from school and these idiots are half cut and on the roads.

maybe that explains the number of crosses you see on the roads it has always puzzled me how come there are soooo many accidents on the straight roads????
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here 8 weeks so far (this time) and hve to smile and agree with most of the above, especially

- Driving
- Expense
- Customer Service
- TV

Still, I could come up with a much longer list about the UK!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Welcome to BE Hope you're ready for some of the replies.

I have to go to work in 5 hours so don't really have long enough to answer the question at the moment though.....
Aren't you going to ask;

Wouldn't a realistic picture be better than just a rose-tinted one?

like you did in the 'What you love about living in Australia'?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.