Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you love about living in Australia?

What do you love about living in Australia?

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:20 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do you love about living in Australia?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We are also 12,000 miles away from the Mother so that's a bonus in anyone's language. She rang this evening to wish luck to First Born. However she hadn't put her hearing aid in and couldn't hear what was said so hung up.
I have the same challenge with my Dad. One of the kids told him on the phone that we had a new kitten and he replied "Thank you very much, goodbye"...

BB
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What do you love about living in Australia?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I have the same challenge with my Dad. One of the kids told him on the phone that we had a new kitten and he replied "Thank you very much, goodbye"...

BB
LOL sounds like my mum.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:37 am
Just Joined

priscillapresley has a spectacular aura aboutpriscillapresley has a spectacular aura aboutpriscillapresley has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Our life since we can here has been all positives.....never had a doubt that we did the right thing......we have been here now since Nov 2005.

Even now after 5 yrs simple things still make me smile, like on Sunday we went for a stroll through one of the many parks near home, families everywhere using the free BBQs, kids playing in the sunshine, surrounded by beautiful gardens / foliage.

Waking up to sunshine nearly everyday has a very stimulating effect on you, one of my biggest pleasures is sitting out on the patio with my morning coffee, before the day begins, simple thing that i don't ever think i'll take for granted.

Our 9 yr old has thrived since we arrived, he leads a full, active and sometimes hectic life but we would'nt have it any other way, if he's not swimming or at cricket practice... he's outdoors in the garden.
His school is fantastic, and we have nothing but good things say about his education, some may disagree but i am speaking personally.

Our social life is busy as well.....most weekends we are either at home with friends or out at friends....BBq's in the park, down at the beach, in the city we could be anywhere........

Not that its all perfect, but nowhere is perfect, you have to take the good with the bad, but the good far out weighs the bad for us....

From our experience Australia suits us perfectly, it may not suit you, but you'll never know if you don't give it a shot......do you want to say in a few years "Oh i wish we had....."
Its a massive life changing experience, and we are better people for that experience.....we can't imagine our lives anywhere but here..

Good luck on whatever you decide...
Hi, New to the site x Have read your reply to a question "what do you love about oz" which was very uplifting as myself and my husband and 2 children are moving to brisbane on 31 october this year. The worry is immense so reassuring words really do make a difference. One concern is the schooling for me, which area are you from and have you got any advice about what to look out for when choosing schools???
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:42 am
Just Joined

priscillapresley has a spectacular aura aboutpriscillapresley has a spectacular aura aboutpriscillapresley has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I love the fact my kids can play outside pretty much every day of the year.

I love the wildlife. The sound of the kookuburras laughing. Spotting kangaroos, if we are out driving at dusk.

I do feel the place has a positive vibe to it. Except when I am in a grumpy mood LOL
Hi, am moving to brisbane in october, the hubby got a job at the royal brisbane womens and childrens hospital, just wondered if you were familiar with the area its in and have any good tips on nice areas to rent and good primary schools, aroung the herston area! A very anxious mother and wife lol x
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:49 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

a great sense of isolation, you can't beat it. no more family arguments.

fantastic houses, if you can afford it.

lots of brits, sort of a home from home (you can always find a 'pom' to talk about your 'new' home).

it's cold in winter and warm in summer.

beaches, beaches, beaches.

kangaroos & koalas - and lovely corellas (don't they sound great! )

there's no tories here!!!

there's no traffic (sort of).

you can live near work, if you can afford it.

Lots of jobs to choose from (only 5% unemployment!!!).

Last edited by coolshadows; Jun 23rd 2010 at 10:54 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by priscillapresley
Hi, am moving to brisbane in october, the hubby got a job at the royal brisbane womens and childrens hospital, just wondered if you were familiar with the area its in and have any good tips on nice areas to rent and good primary schools, aroung the herston area! A very anxious mother and wife lol x
Hi priscillapresley and welcome.

Have a read through this thread below as it's all about Queensland and Brisbane with info about areas, schools etc...

Who's heading to QLD 2010?

Cheers

Alf

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 23rd 2010 at 10:54 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:52 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I'd recommend private school here, as you get away from the 'riff-raff'.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 7immyboy
Couldnt agree more. Don`t think I have ever been so stressed out and anxious about anything! OH is preggers and in QLD and I am in the sunny Midlands, which to be fair has been quite sunny of late....

It is a rollercoaster and a half, but I know i will be rewarded for all my hard work, blood, sweat, and yes tears too. Saying goodbye to my Mrs for 3 months, watching her walk behind the opaque screen of departures at Heathrow was heartbreaking. But it had to be done.

I just hope it is all worth it, I know its a fantastic place but its not for everybody. I am very lucky in the sense that I am on a spouse route in, I really feel for others on a much more complex and difficult visa ( I am no expert)

Sometimes I just want it over, regardless of the decision !

But what a sense of acheivement when it is finally over...
Hello, my husband and myself are doing the same, but we are all going together, going seperate must be very difficult especially the condition your other half is in, lol, hope it all works out!!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by priscillapresley
Goodluck. It is all a bit baffling at first. I am looking at schools now for my eldest, but I live out in the Ipswich area. There is a website, sorry can't remember the name of it, that details performances of schools. As for areas, it really depends on your budget. My sister lives around the Mitchelton area, and that seems pretty nice, and I think reasonable rent wise.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:14 am
Pie Eater

Goodluck. It is all a bit baffling at first. I am looking at schools now for my eldest, but I live out in the Ipswich area. There is a website, sorry can't remember the name of it, that details performances of schools. As for areas, it really depends on your budget. My sister lives around the Mitchelton area, and that seems pretty nice, and I think reasonable rent wise.
http://www.myschool.edu.au/
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Ta
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Ta
Will check wedsite out now x
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:25 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my long list - this link should take you to it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...99#post8628299
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:27 am
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all

Originally Posted by roobush
Hello

We're planning on moving out to Melbourne after xmas this year, but starting to get the collywobbles a bit!

Need to keep my momentum and enthusiasm for making the big move going, so come on everybody, what do you LOVE about living in Australia?
AND:
Do your kids have a better quality of life out there?

Only positive replies wanted please!

Many thanks
roobush
the anonimity. nobody knows me or any of my business unless I decide to share it
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 7immyboy
Couldnt agree more. Don`t think I have ever been so stressed out and anxious about anything! OH is preggers and in QLD and I am in the sunny Midlands, which to be fair has been quite sunny of late....

It is a rollercoaster and a half, but I know i will be rewarded for all my hard work, blood, sweat, and yes tears too. Saying goodbye to my Mrs for 3 months, watching her walk behind the opaque screen of departures at Heathrow was heartbreaking. But it had to be done.

I just hope it is all worth it, I know its a fantastic place but its not for everybody. I am very lucky in the sense that I am on a spouse route in, I really feel for others on a much more complex and difficult visa ( I am no expert)

Sometimes I just want it over, regardless of the decision !

But what a sense of acheivement when it is finally over...
Aw that must have been horrible watching your partner head off to Oz without you. Just focus on the positive outcome that will be your visa grant that allows you to join her in sunny (even more sunny than the Midlands!:-) QLD soon. I'm applying for de facto visa in August so I'll be watching your timeline closely. Hope your visa is granted soon for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.