Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

West vs. East Melbourne

West vs. East Melbourne

Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

tahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nice
Default West vs. East Melbourne

Hello,
Can someone explain what is the difference between west and est Melbourne: why property prices are cheaper on the West...what's the catch...?????????

Thank you
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:03 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: West vs. East Melbourne

The West is like Mordor in The Lord of the Rings.
The East is also like Mordor,only it has more traffic.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

stu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tahititim
Hello,
Can someone explain what is the difference between west and est Melbourne: why property prices are cheaper on the West...what's the catch...?????????

Thank you
hi lived in melbourne for 12 months the west is the industrial area and needs an influx of money spending on the infrastructure,the east is were the old money got invested a lot better area to live in and commute to the city from on the downside its hard to get on the property ladder with the house prices there
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really like to get involved in this debate - as many are happy living in the West. However, we did have a good look around the West when we arrived for the same reasons and this was our impression:

* Much of the countryside seemed barren and flat with a lot of industry.
* The beaches in no way compare to those on the Eastern Bay - Williamstown beach is nice, but I would imagine very busy in the summer.
* We would not have been surrounded by interesting countryside and eclectic suburbs (only really liked Williamstown).

The only downside is that we needed to be 45 mins from the city in the East whereas we could have been 25 mins (out of rush hour) in the West. However, we feel that is a VERY small price to pay for our surroundings.

Good luck!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:17 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thank you
No catch. Demand to live in the East of Melbourne is simply higher than in the West.
Dependency on the West Gate Bridge is certainly a big factor.

http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/story/60862
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...1-2862,00.html
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...8-2862,00.html

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Jul 16th 2008 at 9:25 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I like the West- we are close to everything, with easy access and it is pretty friendly. You get more house for your money.

Downside is the amount of industry but even this is falling as land is reclaimed for residential building.
Further out some of the estates are a bit 'samey' and bland...but personal taste plays a big part.

we live in Newport, near the station - 20 mins by train to Flinders St, 10 mins to city, out of rush hour. In rush hour, we join WGF at the bridge and it takes me 15 mins to South Melbourne.
SO for us-it is a good location.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

tahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pomster
I like the West- we are close to everything, with easy access and it is pretty friendly. You get more house for your money.

Downside is the amount of industry but even this is falling as land is reclaimed for residential building.
Further out some of the estates are a bit 'samey' and bland...but personal taste plays a big part.

we live in Newport, near the station - 20 mins by train to Flinders St, 10 mins to city, out of rush hour. In rush hour, we join WGF at the bridge and it takes me 15 mins to South Melbourne.
SO for us-it is a good location.
So, what I understand, house prices will actually pick up and may be at par with the East in the future once the land will be reclaimed. I guess it is a good time to buy especially you get much more bang for your dollar doun West. Am I right??!!!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:51 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

So, what I understand, house prices will actually pick up and may be at par with the East in the future once the land will be reclaimed.
It is always possible(as anything is), but pretty unlikely that house prices may be at par at some future time.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

West is definitely playing catchup but might not ever get complete parity.

Possibly one reason for the East's traditional popularity was the fact people could travel to and from work in the city without the sun in their eyes!

Now, the sun glare on the west gate bridge really slows traffic down!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:54 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Thank you

i would say no catch, but where your stay depends on your situation and priorities,our priorities were

good state schools for teen and 10 year old, good state schools anywhere in melbourne are few and far between, we could not afford private, i cannot speak for the state schools there, but i would doubt they are good especially the further out you go ....

the west is growing quicker than the infrasturcture.

finding and reaching work, (am a nure , hubby a printer)

teenage things to do, bored teenagers mean trouble , in my eyes anyway.

u.kcadet lives there, lol, lol

so therefore we are in the east, but dont get me wrong there are some lovely places in the west (for some reason i loved altona when we looked, but property prices werent much cheaper than the east there), and the further out in the west the more i like , i.e baccus marsh and surrounds, but it would be totally impractical for us to live there.

Last edited by Margaret3; Jul 19th 2008 at 8:56 am.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
It is always possible(as anything is), but pretty unlikely that house prices may be at par at some future time.
i think it will take a long, long time before they catch up with the east.......................but am always wrong about stuff like that
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:49 am

.[/QUOTE]What's all that about ?

Last edited by ukecadet; Jul 19th 2008 at 10:57 am.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ukecadet

What's all that about ?[/QUOTE]

just joking around danny, your a reason i would move to the west
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret3
i would say no catch, but where your stay depends on your situation and priorities,our priorities were

good state schools for teen and 10 year old, good state schools anywhere in melbourne are few and far between, we could not afford private, i cannot speak for the state schools there, but i would doubt they are good especially the further out you go ....

the west is growing quicker than the infrasturcture.

finding and reaching work, (am a nure , hubby a printer)

teenage things to do, bored teenagers mean trouble , in my eyes anyway.

so therefore we are in the east, but dont get me wrong there are some lovely places in the west (for some reason i loved altona when we looked, but property prices werent much cheaper than the east there), and the further out in the west the more i like , i.e baccus marsh and surrounds, but it would be totally impractical for us to live there.
Originally Posted by Margaret3
What's all that about ?

just joking around danny, your a reason i would move to the west[/QUOTE]
I had a tall blonde KGB Agent whisper that in my ear when I was in Prague in 1981.I've still got his handbag in the boot of my car.