Reload this Page >

3 weeks in Perth and in need of your help.. again

3 weeks in Perth and in need of your help.. again

Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:04 am
Just Joined

crackdembones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 weeks in Perth and in need of your help.. again

Hi,
Landed in Perth 3 weeks ago ago. Minus a week of Gastro I'm having a royal pain trying to find a few answers to some questions. I've entered on a Spouse visa subclass 309 and can't find out if there are any working restrictions for me. It's classed as a provisional residency and filling job applications people are asking if a) i'm a permanent resident or b) I hold a working visa... which I have to answer no and no. Any advice would be great. I've got a tax file number and Medicare but know that some government jobs require me to be a permanent resident.
Also, anyone got any info on driving restrictions in WA on a Bristish licence? Getting two different answers from the department of infastructure. saying i can drive for 3 months or 12 months... hmmph Any clarification would be great.

Many thanks in advance.

Daniel
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 weeks in Perth and in need of your help.. again

Originally Posted by crackdembones
Hi,
Landed in Perth 3 weeks ago ago. Minus a week of Gastro I'm having a royal pain trying to find a few answers to some questions. I've entered on a Spouse visa subclass 309 and can't find out if there are any working restrictions for me. It's classed as a provisional residency and filling job applications people are asking if a) i'm a permanent resident or b) I hold a working visa... which I have to answer no and no. Any advice would be great. I've got a tax file number and Medicare but know that some government jobs require me to be a permanent resident.
Also, anyone got any info on driving restrictions in WA on a Bristish licence? Getting two different answers from the department of infastructure. saying i can drive for 3 months or 12 months... hmmph Any clarification would be great.

Many thanks in advance.

Daniel

I think a British licence is only valid in WA for 3 months.

According to this page you ARE entitled to work in Australia. So the answers are permanent no, work visa yes by my thinking.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 6:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're on a temp visa your British driving licence is valid for the length of the visa (I believe). When you get PR you will have 3 months before you have to swap it to WA one. Might as well do it, there's no test or anything, just some money - surprise surprise
Old Jul 18th 2008, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the visa, if you came over as a spose then your visa is the same as your partners, this may or may not be a permanent visa. I guess whoever applied and went through all the hassle to arrange the visa will know wha its classed as.

As for the licence all you need to do is go into one of the many license offices all over perth and speak to someone there. They will issue you an australian license that just requires some forms filling in and a picture taken, real easy
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

crackdembones is an unknown quantity at this point

many thanks peeps, getting down to Morley on Monday to swap my licence. On the off chance, if anybody know's of any jobs going in gyms then please let me know! Used to be a fitness manager back in the UK and now having just bought a house in Padbury, pressure is on for work. My parner and I always have a knack of doing things back to front but if we did the sums, we'd never have taken the risk! Although I am starting to sweat a little about the job front. Anyhow, hopefully speak to you all soon!

Dan and Laura