Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are we being unrealistic??

Are we being unrealistic??

Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we being unrealistic??

Originally Posted by mollanclan
We're going to be renting and have upwards of £10,000 savings, we don't own a house over here and we will have the prospect of my husbands business once we've got all the paperwork sorted out over there so it would only be for a few years until it's all set up.

It calculates out to £40,000 which is a huge amount of money considering now with my bursary and my hubby's business we are about £32,000 a year.

I just am a bit worried about after reading on here about all the stories of cost of living etc. Have done loads of research, spreadsheet after spreadsheet of figures, but with all the stuff on here I'm worried that I'm wrong!

Lynn.
£10,000 peanuts you are joking right?? This is a windup if not good luck to you I think you might need it.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:28 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eugene43
£10,000 peanuts you are joking right?? This is a windup if not good luck to you I think you might need it.
Plenty have arrived with less.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Plenty have arrived with less.
Yeap & 95 % are on the uk return thread LOL
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeap & 95 % are on the uk return thread LOL
Only a tad patronising
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Only a tad patronising
alright 85%
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

alright 85%
Of those I know who came out with 10 grand or less, none of them have gone back, they've all made great lives for themselves. As there is mass generalisation going on, I could say that those with more money are more likely to go back because they can afford to pack up and leave, they don't have to put the extra effort in to make it work. That was a generalisation though.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:29 am
Just Joined

mollanclan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Of those I know who came out with 10 grand or less, none of them have gone back, they've all made great lives for themselves. As there is mass generalisation going on, I could say that those with more money are more likely to go back because they can afford to pack up and leave, they don't have to put the extra effort in to make it work. That was a generalisation though.
Reading some of those posts made me giggle lol!! I can't get over $1,200 on social life......we have no life, as a family we maybe spend £50.00 a month on excursions, we live in Scotland and our social life consists of driving to the Glens and walking, going to the parks we have here, searching for discount codes and going for days out at the zoo or other places! I can understand a single person wanting a life like that but our family, no, we're much more at home with the simpler things in life.

I'm not joking with coming out with £10,000.00 when my husband was made redudant we moved from Sussex to Fife on less than £1,000.00, we just make sure wo do things cheaply, why part with money unnecessarily is our way of life.

I have spoken to a few agencies and I am of the opinion that unlike the UK, the starting wage is just the start, you are paid more in Australia the longer you work, my uncle in law is a nurse practitioner in Queensland and he earns $160,000.00 a year, in the UK that wage is unheard cos nurses are not valued and I dread to think of how much worse the NHS is going to get under the current govt!! I've worked as a Health Care Assistant on a few years after we simplified our life and I gave up a very lucrative job in PR & Marketing but tbh I don't know if the role would still be around in today's climate, my point is that we were willing to take a back seat financially for the sake ofour family and so glad we did!!

I just feel that in Australia what I've seen and heard from family, the health workers are definetly paid more, the work is just the same, long hours, lots of horror stories about staff on wards but that is just like the UK. We know it's not h land of milk and honey, we kow it has it's problems, we totally theunderstand that in fact my husband was attacked when we were visiting family in Sydney becuase he caught the wrong persons eye so we've definetly not got our rose tinted glasses on!! A trip to A&E there showed the same issues we have here but we were dealt with quickly and the place was clean!!!!

I've rambled on AGAIN lol but I suppose what I'm trying to say that it's been our dream for 10 years, we want to make the move for our family not because we'll be richer but because we want to be able to play in the garden not just for 6 months of the year, we want to be able to give our kids a more outdoor lifestyle, the kind of childhood that our family had and give to their kid out there, so even if we do end up back, it's worth a shot and we won't be back within 1 year, we know from experience that it takes at least 2 years to settle in and that's what we'd give it, 2 years cos the first two years here were awful but then we made good friends and we know we can do it again!!

Thanks again for all your replies and wowsers again to the guy who spends $1,200.00 on a social life!!

Lynn x.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvagusta
Just goes to show that people are different.

If I was spending like that I would be up to my eyeballs in debt. To me some of these prices are extravagent.
Welcome to Australia!

You can get a 4 bedroom house in perth with pool for $1600 pm although why a single person would want such a big house remains to be seen.
You may be able to get a 4 bed house with a pool for $1600 but I can guarantee that it is not in Perth. Outer suburbs more like and that's not Perth. Unless you are talking of the scrotey areas... You're right, a single person would not need a 4 bed house.

Entertainment is a luxury and is not a requirement in living expenses and I'm sure that some of the others listed could be reduced quite a bit.
You're obviously not single... Do you currently live in Australia?

Each to there own but I would put electricity and gas higher on my priority than entertainment,mobile phone or internet.
Mobile and internet are necessities nowadays. Many people no longer have landlines due to VoIP and internet is needed, and with smart phones the cost of the monthly bill is not cheap. A mobile is essential these days, if only for work purposes.

BTW, the figures I mentioned are for living comfortably, not extravagantly. $4000 Doesn't go very far in places like Melbourne or Sydney.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Reading some of those posts made me giggle lol!! I can't get over $1,200 on social life......we have no life, as a family
Exactly, you have a family. TBH though $1200 is not much. Take for example, most single people will go out on a Friday and Saturday night, and a Sunday afternoon. Doesn't matter where you go, it will cost a minimum of $10/drink, door cover fees and taxis. Not much change out of $300.

I would probably spend close to $700/wk just on Fri, Sat and Sun. Being single is bloody expensive in Oz.

I'm not joking with coming out with £10,000.00 when my husband was made redudant we moved from Sussex to Fife on less than £1,000.00, we just make sure wo do things cheaply, why part with money unnecessarily is our way of life.
It can be done on £10K ($16K) but it won't last long and it won't be easy. Money doesn't go as far as it used to in Oz.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Exactly, you have a family. TBH though $1200 is not much. Take for example, most single people will go out on a Friday and Saturday night, and a Sunday afternoon. Doesn't matter where you go, it will cost a minimum of $10/drink, door cover fees and taxis. Not much change out of $300.

I would probably spend close to $700/wk just on Fri, Sat and Sun. Being single is bloody expensive in Oz.

It can be done on £10K ($16K) but it won't last long and it won't be easy. Money doesn't go as far as it used to in Oz.
Totally get that, money never lasts as long and gets as much as it used to anywhere, as I said it will be at least £10,000, that's after flights and visa costs.

It's Queensland we want to move to as that's where a lot of our friends and family are, and we have a fantastic offer for housing, my husbands family own houses and we have been offered a 4 bed house in Greenslopes for a discounted price, basically just paying the very low mortgage (they are very keen to have us out there!!) so we know we're incredibly lucky!! And that area is close to the Princess Alexandra which is where one of the agencies have mentioned I could work so big smile on my face this morning!

I know that we'll have to wait until I have worked a year so hopefully this time in two years we'll be in the midst of sorting out emigrating whilst I work my ass off to raise as much as we can.

Anyway, thank you again, this forum is very useful and I think I'll be asking for a lot more advice over the next two years!!

Lynn.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:13 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally get that, money never lasts as long and gets as much as it used to anywhere, as I said it will be at least £10,000, that's after flights and visa costs.

It's Queensland we want to move to as that's where a lot of our friends and family are, and we have a fantastic offer for housing, my husbands family own houses and we have been offered a 4 bed house in Greenslopes for a discounted price, basically just paying the very low mortgage (they are very keen to have us out there!!) so we know we're incredibly lucky!! And that area is close to the Princess Alexandra which is where one of the agencies have mentioned I could work so big smile on my face this morning!

I know that we'll have to wait until I have worked a year so hopefully this time in two years we'll be in the midst of sorting out emigrating whilst I work my ass off to raise as much as we can.

Anyway, thank you again, this forum is very useful and I think I'll be asking for a lot more advice over the next two years!!

Lynn.
That will make a huge difference to the experience Lynn. Housing is, obviously, one of the really tough things to get here in Oz, be it rental or purchased. Having a 'way in' is a real plus point.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:14 am
ABCDiamond

Thank you is all I can say, lots of information.
We're not aware of any state benefits, as far as I was concerned we won't be entitled to any at all abd that's the way we're looking at it.
You will be entitled to Family Tax Benefits, which can be paid fortnightly or claimed at the end of the year, to avoid having to repay any overpayments.

Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Welcome to Australia!
You may be able to get a 4 bed house with a pool for $1600 but I can guarantee that it is not in Perth. Outer suburbs more like and that's not Perth. Unless you are talking of the scrotey areas... You're right, a single person would not need a 4 bed house.

You're obviously not single... Do you currently live in Australia?

Mobile and internet are necessities nowadays. Many people no longer have landlines due to VoIP and internet is needed, and with smart phones the cost of the monthly bill is not cheap. A mobile is essential these days, if only for work purposes.

BTW, the figures I mentioned are for living comfortably, not extravagantly. $4000 Doesn't go very far in places like Melbourne or Sydney.
I think the whole point is you live within your means. If spending $1200 on entertainment is your thing then so be it.
With a little bit on work I'm sure that the prices you mentioned could easily be reduced. I just done a quick check on high speed wireless internet and it averages $40 not $90 and I'm sure that the mobile price could also be reduced.

Each to there own.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Reading some of those posts made me giggle lol!! I can't get over $1,200 on social life......we have no life, as a family we maybe spend £50.00 a month on excursions, we live in Scotland and our social life consists of driving to the Glens and walking, going to the parks we have here, searching for discount codes and going for days out at the zoo or other places! I can understand a single person wanting a life like that but our family, no, we're much more at home with the simpler things in life.

I have spoken to a few agencies and I am of the opinion that unlike the UK, the starting wage is just the start, you are paid more in Australia the longer you work, my uncle in law is a nurse practitioner in Queensland and he earns $160,000.00 a year, in the UK that wage is unheard cos nurses are not valued and I dread to think of how much worse the NHS is going to get under the current govt!! I've worked as a Health Care Assistant on a few years after we simplified our life and I gave up a very lucrative job in PR & Marketing but tbh I don't know if the role would still be around in today's climate, my point is that we were willing to take a back seat financially for the sake ofour family and so glad we did!!

I just feel that in Australia what I've seen and heard from family, the health workers are definetly paid more, the work is just the same, long hours, lots of horror stories about staff on wards but that is just like the UK. We know it's not h land of milk and honey, we kow it has it's problems, we totally theunderstand that in fact my husband was attacked when we were visiting family in Sydney becuase he caught the wrong persons eye so we've definetly not got our rose tinted glasses on!! A trip to A&E there showed the same issues we have here but we were dealt with quickly and the place was clean!!!!

I've rambled on AGAIN lol but I suppose what I'm trying to say that it's been our dream for 10 years, we want to make the move for our family not because we'll be richer but because we want to be able to play in the garden not just for 6 months of the year, we want to be able to give our kids a more outdoor lifestyle, the kind of childhood that our family had and give to their kid out there, so even if we do end up back, it's worth a shot and we won't be back within 1 year, we know from experience that it takes at least 2 years to settle in and that's what we'd give it, 2 years cos the first two years here were awful but then we made good friends and we know we can do it again!!

Thanks again for all your replies and wowsers again to the guy who spends $1,200.00 on a social life!!

Lynn x.

Nurse practitioner $160k pa - I think someone may be telling you porkies http://www.plexusrecruitment.com/pub...0Australia.pdf unless he is working all the antisocial hours that God sends him

I dont think you will be terribly comfortable on $65k but it is the average salary for Aus and many people do manage on it. It will be more a case of making ends meet rather than being comfortable. Your L10k is probably about as low as you would want to go for setting up and it wont go very far with the current exchange rate especially when you have to be buying cars, putting down bonds etc (and remember that interest rates are pegged to rise 3 times before the end of the year and if you are paying someone else's mortgage that will impact on you!)

The doing it for the kids thing is a furphy, do it because you have an adult itch for adventure by all means. I do chuckle at the perpetually churned out argument of kids playing in the garden all year round - half of the year it is too darned hot and they will want to be inside in airconditioned comfort playing on their wiis if they are anything like most Aussie kids!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
Nurse practitioner $160k pa - I think someone may be telling you porkies http://www.plexusrecruitment.com/pub...0Australia.pdf unless he is working all the antisocial hours that God sends him

I dont think you will be terribly comfortable on $65k but it is the average salary for Aus and many people do manage on it. It will be more a case of making ends meet rather than being comfortable. Your L10k is probably about as low as you would want to go for setting up and it wont go very far with the current exchange rate especially when you have to be buying cars, putting down bonds etc (and remember that interest rates are pegged to rise 3 times before the end of the year and if you are paying someone else's mortgage that will impact on you!)

The doing it for the kids thing is a furphy, do it because you have an adult itch for adventure by all means. I do chuckle at the perpetually churned out argument of kids playing in the garden all year round - half of the year it is too darned hot and they will want to be inside in airconditioned comfort playing on their wiis if they are anything like most Aussie kids!
LOL!! Someone has not had their anti-cynical tablet today!!!

It was a typo he is on $130,000.00 per annum and no it's not a porkie, he is very highly qualified, been a nurse for 35 years and he's worked his ass off to get his position, he is the first nurse practitioner in his area and the wage is right.

Yes, I know £10,000 is low but, as I've said before if you've read my posts, this is the minimum, not before we've sold our cars and junk we're not taking and when you've got a husband who has collected various figures over the years and are still in boxes, we have a valuation on his collection of £7,000, this is not with this included. No it's not an adult whim, it is for a better more outdoors life, when you've been brought up in Scotland and lived here for many years maybe you may understand where I'm coming from, especially after this winter, we couldn't take the kids out of the house for 14 days as we were snowed in by a 12 foot snow drift, so they may not get out in the garden but they will actually be able to leave the house!!! When you've had that two years in a row you might understand.

Anyway, our rent will be very low, we're in a very fortunate position of having family to help us out. It'll be an adventure and making ends meet is how we live now and as I said, that will be a starter wage, the wages increase a lot more than they do over here.

Thanks again for the replies, I realise we'll be skint but we know what we're letting ourselves in for.

Lynn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.