Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under - Series 6

Wanted Down Under - Series 6

Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanted Down Under - Series 6

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge
Yes I have nothing against the peoples feelings, that would be strange. It is afterall probably the biggest issue for anyone myself included. Its that engineered factor of the show which has turned me off it. I actually applied to go on the show before we came. I wanted the chance to give the wife and kids an insight before we came. I had been over in`89 for 5 weeks. Like an idiot I asked if we could stay with friends and told them how far the application had got. So I think we looked like a done deal and therefore probably not good TV. Interesting to hear from someone who has appeared though. As with many documentary programmes these days, The facts become insigificant and they want to focus on the `human`aspect, the Mum and Dad argueing, the child throwing a tantrum, the tears on skype just to make good? TV.
We've had a few others on here in the past - if you search the forum for titles of this show and similar ones there are several threads and at least half a dozen families who have taken part Interesting reading!
Old Jan 10th 2012, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Vernsdownunder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
How likely is that

Seriously Australia has hundreds of skilled experienced applicants for most jobs already.

The official unemployment rate is BS, because anyone working 2 hours a week or more is employed.

Oranges and sunshine
Hi

We were thinking of applying over here, as there are always job vacancies for nurses in the RCN. I was also lead to believe that there was a big new Mental Health hospital opening when the staff have been recruited. Is this a false picture do you think??

I dont mind fruit picking !!

Tracey
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vernsdownunder
I was also lead to believe that there was a big new Mental Health hospital opening when the staff have been recruited. Is this a false picture do you think??

Where do you mean?.....it is a big country
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Whatley-in-waiting is an unknown quantity at this point

Today's family were lovely, the freelance photographer and paediatric nurse (sorry, I'm rubbish with names!).
Seeing older children enjoying Perth reassured me, as I swore I'd never move my kids once they were settled at senior school.

The common thread I've noticed with this series is that most of the men have their own businesses in the UK and are fed up with struggling under the strain of taxes, finding new or enough work, prompt paying customers/clients, and the amount of hours they are working for their pay.

This is my OH's motivation for looking further afield. He doesn't mind working hard and putting in the hours, but it's become an uphill struggle over the last year. Have others found this a reason for emigrating?

Helen
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:11 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Whatley-in-waiting
Today's family were lovely, the freelance photographer and paediatric nurse (sorry, I'm rubbish with names!).
Seeing older children enjoying Perth reassured me, as I swore I'd never move my kids once they were settled at senior school.

The common thread I've noticed with this series is that most of the men have their own businesses in the UK and are fed up with struggling under the strain of taxes, finding new or enough work, prompt paying customers/clients, and the amount of hours they are working for their pay.

This is my OH's motivation for looking further afield. He doesn't mind working hard and putting in the hours, but it's become an uphill struggle over the last year. Have others found this a reason for emigrating?

Helen
It was another one I almost turned off. The family have a decent amount of money to spend, want to live close to the sea and they are shown Ellenbrook and bloody Darch!! $850k to live in frickin Darch!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Helen
Taxes are similar in Australia and the UK the main difference is what you get back from them. In my opinion you get more back in the UK than in Australia for example the NHS is free at the point of delivery where as the Australian equivalent is not.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Whatley-in-waiting is an unknown quantity at this point

It's helpful to know that taxes are similar, do you mean VAT and corporation tax etc? He certainly wouldn't be looking to start his own business again for some time, if ever. The lure of regular hours for regular pay is becoming even more attractive after not having enough cleared funds in December to pay himself or the other director, just their one employee.

Today's family had a very healthy budget for their property, lucky them! lol
Helen xx
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Helen

They were a nice family, but I was struggling to understand their financial strategy? They want to move due to the strain of a large of a large mortgage, scarce work etc. But they only have £300k equity and were looking at a £600k house. So a £300k mortgage in Oz with a business that might take a couple of years to get up to speed, they didn't look that young.

I don't get it.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

pokissimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
They were a nice family, but I was struggling to understand their financial strategy? They want to move due to the strain of a large of a large mortgage, scarce work etc. But they only have £300k equity and were looking at a £600k house. So a £300k mortgage in Oz with a business that might take a couple of years to get up to speed, they didn't look that young.

I don't get it.
Yeah - it wasnt entirely sensible to me either: Seemed like they were hoping for "Cheap Australia" that melted away (along with $2.2:£1) somewhere around the time of the GFC where you could trade your equity in a london suburb house you bought years ago for a great house anywhere in Oz...
Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:12 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The aus climate is hard to understand till you have lived it. Its not 24c and picnic weather. Its extreme.

The reality of UV levels of 15 hit with the first melanoma.
+ 1. I was so excited when I moved to Van and didn't have to stress any more over freaking sunblock and the sun. Same in NZ - the UV is v. bad there too. People here have no comprehension of how harsh the sun is.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Vernsdownunder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Where do you mean?.....it is a big country
That would help wouldn't it. I believe Perth has a new build completed but not staffed yet.

(My husband is the RMN) I am looking for general, hoping to apply for a connect program as a newly graduated.

Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

zanderman is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched today's episode with real interest as I have wanted to move to Oz for years but have potential issues getting in with my autistic son (and also potential issues with the level of support over there etc!)

I thought it was odd that the show didnt mention that their disabled son might stop them having any chance of getting in, not a small 'show stopper' but potentially a massive one! They only mentioned that bit at the end on the few weeks later bit.

Shame as they seemed like a really nice family and really makes me sad as it just reminds me that I have little or no chance of ever getting over there.................
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by zanderman
I watched today's episode with real interest as I have wanted to move to Oz for years but have potential issues getting in with my autistic son (and also potential issues with the level of support over there etc!)

I thought it was odd that the show didnt mention that their disabled son might stop them having any chance of getting in, not a small 'show stopper' but potentially a massive one! They only mentioned that bit at the end on the few weeks later bit.

Shame as they seemed like a really nice family and really makes me sad as it just reminds me that I have little or no chance of ever getting over there.................
I thought at the beginning that they wouldnt have much chance, bit of a shame building their hopes up i thought.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Dingle76 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the family today were lovely and I hope they (and you) get in Zanderman.

I agree though, very poor research by the programme makers re the family's son.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed today's programme. They're braver than me, living with the parents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.