British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Wanted Down Under - Series 6 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/wanted-down-under-series-6-a-743465/)

parlex Jan 2nd 2012 9:17 am

Wanted Down Under - Series 6

The new series started today on BBC1 and will be on for the next four weeks. Available on iplayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006s5v8

Cheers

Tramps_mate Jan 2nd 2012 9:56 am

Re: Wanted Down Under - Series 6

Yeah watched it. Was interesting!

parlex Jan 2nd 2012 10:30 am

Was interesting to find out that an inexperienced hairdresser with her painter and decorator husband
Spoiler:
can
could potentially afford (thanks The_Wookie) to live in a brand new four bed house near Perth... :)

The_Wookie Jan 2nd 2012 10:56 am

They could 'potentially' afford to live in a house around 35km north of Perth.

richie penn Jan 2nd 2012 12:02 pm

ha ha , i loved it, she was an inexperienced hairdresser who was told to maybe get more experience and was waffling about her husband not being skilled enough!

The_Wookie Jan 2nd 2012 12:07 pm

I actually felt embarrased for her. It was blatantly obvious she wasn't skilled up enough.

richie penn Jan 2nd 2012 12:09 pm

yeah, in the shop and thats when i started asking myself how did they get their visas?

parlex Jan 2nd 2012 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by richie penn (Post 9815967)
yeah, in the shop and thats when i started asking myself how did they get their visas?

That's a very good point!!! I wish I was an inexperienced hairdresser now... :sneaky:

Pollyana Jan 2nd 2012 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by parlex (Post 9815973)
That's a very good point!!! I wish I was an inexperienced hairdresser now... :sneaky:

Did they have PR visas though? Most of the people on these shows are on tourist visas and haven't applied for the "real thing" yet. Oh - and we've found in the past that a lot of them are BE members.........

Homebird Jan 2nd 2012 12:39 pm

Did anyone else find it strange that they could be £2000 better off per MONTH? ! ! Not sure their figures were correct ?

richie penn Jan 2nd 2012 12:42 pm

really, i didnt know that, maybe they should say at the end when they decide its australia that they are going to try and get pr, instead of people assuming that its as easy as saying "yes we like it, i think we will move there", as we are all aware its not that easy.

richie penn Jan 2nd 2012 12:44 pm

homebird, i agree alot of things on the show didnt add up, i wish they could of been a bit more specific!
joint income of £28000 yet £2000 a month better off?????????????

The_Wookie Jan 2nd 2012 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9815996)
Did they have PR visas though? Most of the people on these shows are on tourist visas and haven't applied for the "real thing" yet. Oh - and we've found in the past that a lot of them are BE members.........

I'm sure it said she got her visa through her hairdressing.

The_Wookie Jan 2nd 2012 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by richie penn (Post 9816011)
homebird, i agree alot of things on the show didnt add up, i wish they could of been a bit more specific!
joint income of £28000 yet £2000 a month better off?????????????

Well the painter guy said he could earn around $70k pa, and her hairdressing was around $20-$25k I think?

Considering she isn't working in the UK, I'm guessing her added income makes a big difference.

parlex Jan 2nd 2012 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9815996)

The lady mentioned having 2 years to validate their PR visa... She was the main applicant.