Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Simo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really nice
Default Re: Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Originally Posted by Libby1971
Hi Simon

I don't think you missed much!!! I think doing your NQT year is a really good idea. What subject are you doing?

I teach Religious Studies. Originally I had planned to be an English and PFL teacher but the Uni cancelled the degree offering me a place on a Theology degree which caused problems for us. However I asked for some other subjects in my first couple of years as well like IT and Sociology and Philosophy in order to help. Here I have taught English and SOSE (History and Geography) as well as RE although I can only teach RE within the private sector.

There are differences/ benefits in the education systems such as more structure in UK but less paperwork in Aus. There is no Nat Curriculum in Aus although there are plans for one in 2010. We'll see, no-one I work with believes it will happen!

Good luck
thanks for the reply! im training to be a science teacher!

i think i do remember the episode now and im pleased that things are going well for you
Old Jan 20th 2009, 8:50 am
Just Joined

TheHarrisFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

I have got to say I think this present series is so negative compared to past series. I found this thread interesting cos people are saying what I already suspected- BBC editing and not showing people what they can really afford. I feel sorry for some of the people cos they are being set up to fail just for the viewing figures and I have noticed not one episode on Perth this time.
Great to hear the real stories of what happened after filmimg. And I hope it worked out for every one involved in the series.
I personally cant wait to get to Auz in April this year. We have been a few times so know what to expect.
Good luck to every one.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

I don't know whay I watch this programme, unless you want to go to New Zealand, Adelaide, or Darwin? The last couple of series of it was so much better! What about showing Perth and brisbane aswell, maybe the BBC have got some sort of deal with the less popular states.

I can't believe people are so suprised how far away oz is when they get off the plane! hello!

I know it must be hard leaving family - we're going to have to do it too, but you can't stay in the UK because of them you've gotta live your life for yourself and do what's best for YOUR kids, not your selfish parents or best friends who's gonna miss you coming round for a brew.

Hope people have complained to BBC its so negative should be called Unwilling Down Under or Let's Stay in the UK!

Rant over
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I think you have started something there!!!!

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
I don't know whay I watch this programme, unless you want to go to New Zealand, Adelaide, or Darwin? The last couple of series of it was so much better! What about showing Perth and brisbane aswell, maybe the BBC have got some sort of deal with the less popular states.

I can't believe people are so suprised how far away oz is when they get off the plane! hello!

I know it must be hard leaving family - we're going to have to do it too, but you can't stay in the UK because of them you've gotta live your life for yourself and do what's best for YOUR kids, not your selfish parents or best friends who's gonna miss you coming round for a brew.

Hope people have complained to BBC its so negative should be called Unwilling Down Under or Let's Stay in the UK!

Rant over
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by seayork2002
I think you have started something there!!!!
It drives me mad!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:54 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jenny,

Just watched your episode , how did you feel when you watched it, did you think the BBC did a good job of editing ?

And is that flag spinning business and silly as it looks

Originally Posted by Jenny Hughes
Hi Libby 1971
Are you the couple who were the teachers with the two young girls, who they did the Revisited programme on? If not which couple were you?

I have a really good memory and remember most of them as we watched Series 1 & 2, which is why we got in touch with the BBC last year to see if we had a chance to get on Series 3.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

I was suprised by todays episode, I didn't want to go and bang my head against a brick wall

I thought he'd choose Oz for sure! maybe he likes working 7 days a week in the UK? houses were awful though!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Jenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura about

Sorry not been able to get on for a few days, too busy working!

We are a little behind watching this weeks episodes as it has been an extremely hectic week - nothing changes! However not moaning as we're the lucky ones still to have a job!

In relation to the editing, obviously as I mentioned the amount of filming does have to be condensed to 45 mins and bearing in mind that I suppose they have to cover all areas and topics to give a well rounded view of Australia in different areas and it would be pretty repetitive if they focus on the same topics every episode. Also as I have mentioned before everyone's 'family dynamics' and priorities in life differ in relation to relationships, ages of children, work and finances. So what suits one person one day may not be valid or interesting to others.

As the saying goes 'you can please some people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time', as I'm sure you will agree.

For us we have never really considered New Zealand but we have watched the episodes to give us an insight.

For us this week we connected with the Clark family (19 Jan) as they highlighted many of the points we raised and were more concerned with when visiting Oz i.e. food prices, gas/electric, fuel, interest rates etc. And YES CHOCOLATE IS A POUND A BAR!!!!! Plus it doesn't taste the same!

However, as I mentioned above, due to editing they did not include them in our episode but they did cover it in the series, which is fine with us, so long as this information is given out to people.

They actually highlighted them not qualifying for Child Benefit etc. on a Temporary Visa. For us it's the more 'everyday' information of existing/living that is the most important aspect of moving to Oz. The basic things that can either make or break it being a successful move! In relation to being 'looked after' in Oz we were informed from talking to some of the people in Oz that pensioners seem to be looked after a lot better than the UK with a lot of perks, reduced rates of utilities being one of them.

I have mentioned before that for US it is more so to look at a lifestyle change not to own a big house with all mod cons but to enjoy life a bit more, which is becoming harder and harder in the UK, no matter how hard you try. Also children do grow up far too quick! Whilst we obviously want to improve our home and 'Yes', it would be nice to have everything all at once you have to be realistic and you have to work towards achieving things. You also have to be prepared for the unexpected things life throws at you, so for us we do not want to put 'all our eggs in one basket' and not cripple ourselves with a big mortgage but more so to rent first until the time is right to buy. As we all know it's a big decision to make and a pricey one if things go wrong!

Ask some of the poor people facing repossessions in the UK, if they would rather have a smaller home now, with less money worries or the other way around! For many hardworking Brits, struggling, the first priority is making sure all the most important areas of life are covered ie. a roof over your head, food and warmth, no matter how down in the dumps people are.

We are very thorough in the research we have undertaken and are continuing to do our own homework, which I do strongly suggest people do. However, every countries economy is being hit hard and facts and figures are changing on a day to day basis so make sure you keep updating yourself, even though you THINK you have checked it over once before.

Sorry to have gone on but you did ask!!! I hope this makes things a little clearer. Believe me we're finding out something new EVERY day!

Flag spinning for us was also a little bit of fun and it's more visual.

Best wishes.

Originally Posted by themerlin
Hi Jenny,

Just watched your episode , how did you feel when you watched it, did you think the BBC did a good job of editing ?

And is that flag spinning business and silly as it looks
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Simo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really nice

is it just me or do they always look at very expensive properties!

when you compare them to properties that ive seen on websites and what family members are buying out there the properties shown always seem very expensive
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Hi,

I can see how things seem very expensive when looked at by English people but coming from Ireland as we are they seem the same. Since the Euro came in everything has trippled in price - all except wages Thats why we shop in the north of Ireland!!

Helena
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by helena39
Hi,

I can see how things seem very expensive when looked at by English people but coming from Ireland as we are they seem the same. Since the Euro came in everything has trippled in price - all except wages Thats why we shop in the north of Ireland!!

Helena
i dont even think that they look expensive to england i just think in general

like today's people, they were really bothered about houses obviously so why send them to sydney surely it would have been better to send them somewhere a little cheaper!

her dad was in queensland why didnt they send them there?

and also was she an australian citizen seeing as she'd grew up there?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the rough

I wondered that too because that would make a difference on visas, etc.

I thought that at the start of the programme it was said that they had been given the Country option? When they were talking about The Country in the intro, the pictures were of the Blue Mountatins. However they ended up in a rental overlooking Sydney Harbour!

Obviously my idea of country is not the same as the BBCs!

Lou
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Simo429
i dont even think that they look expensive to england i just think in general

like today's people, they were really bothered about houses obviously so why send them to sydney surely it would have been better to send them somewhere a little cheaper!

her dad was in queensland why didnt they send them there?

Here Here !!!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aussie4me

I wondered that too because that would make a difference on visas, etc.

I thought that at the start of the programme it was said that they had been given the Country option? When they were talking about The Country in the intro, the pictures were of the Blue Mountatins. However they ended up in a rental overlooking Sydney Harbour!

Obviously my idea of country is not the same as the BBCs!

Lou
my missus said exactly the same thing strangest countryside ive ever seen!

i mean i live in a semi rural area but that takes the biscuit
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

fa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nice

Originally Posted by suzyambrose

Rant over
I agree. We are moving in March and was looking forward to seeing Qld. So where is it BBC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.