Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under 2010

Wanted Down Under 2010

Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Discovery has a spectacular aura aboutDiscovery has a spectacular aura aboutDiscovery has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wanted Down Under 2010

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I would like them to film the episodes in the aussie summer, what benefit is it to experience Darwin in the few weeks of the year when the humidity doesnt melt your soul. How about Brisbane when its so sticky the cameras would fog up, melbourne with a blazing bush fire in the background, perth in prime fly season the camera lense clogged with flies.

I guess none of that would sell
I don't see why any of the above should deter people from emigrating. So it's humid in Darwin & Brisbane, there are flies in Perth and it gets cold in Sydney/Adelaide/Melbourne. What is the big deal?
There are advantages and disadvantages of living in all Australian cities/towns. The immigrants who do well here adapt and get on with living .

You should consider spending sometime living in Kabul or Baghdad and then you will realise how insignificant some of the things you mentioned above are.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:36 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Discovery
You should consider spending sometime living in Kabul or Baghdad and then you will realise how insignificant some of the things you mentioned above are.

The amount of times I've seen "you should try living in (insert war torn shithole here) before complaining about Australia" is really getting old.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

TO all prospective britishexpats moving to Oz there is only one way you can move to Oz jsut watch wanted down under, you cannot rent, you have to live in one area !
You must buy icecream and prawns lol

If you want to buy chances are unless you have a quite a bit in the bank or you're house is a mansion in the UK you need to factor in shipping/ flying your things over wether that be a couple boxes or a HUGE container worth, if you're taking pets thats more expense, unfortunately you can't pack your nanna.
You want to buy a good car outwright thats all expense before you even get as far as buying a house (in most cases).

I'd much prefer if they changed the format - hear me BBC - and gave ideas for what they could rent and ideas of what they could buy in 3 totally different areas within a reasonable commute to work (preferably all realistic in what the family could afford - cause thats boring too).

Oh my Mr JenJen really loves this program he he he he
He doesn't do allowances for editing and I shan't tell you whathe's said about todays program lol
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

I know I know it's a program light hearted entertainment but I bet hundreds of ppl are put off they're dream cause of how limited it all comes across

Steps down and offers someone else soap box
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Murky is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Wanted Down Under 2010

Originally Posted by JenJen
I know I know it's a program light hearted entertainment but I bet hundreds of ppl are put off they're dream cause of how limited it all comes across

Steps down and offers someone else soap box
Hi i,m new to this thread but have been watching WDU for a few years and have been increasingly ticked-off by all the 'I must have a big house thats already decorated to my taste with large kitchen/dining areas 'that aussies don't use because they cook and eat outside if possible' and it must have a large pool as well because everyone knows that to buy an aussie house its dirt cheap. They live in a small house over here that they can't sell because they are asking too high an asking price then think they deserve a mansion. People want a british style home it seems even though its a different life they say they long for. Most Australians believe you have to work hard for the right to live as some of them do. Why can people not see that a smaller run down place may have potential because basically they are starting out all over again or rent for a few years.
I'd be happy just for the chance to get there and work it out for myself
Old Jan 12th 2010, 2:55 pm
Jenny

Location: Bradford, but moving to Busselton WA in Sept 2010 (yay!!!!)
morrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Murky
Hi i,m new to this thread but have been watching WDU for a few years and have been increasingly ticked-off by all the 'I must have a big house thats already decorated to my taste with large kitchen/dining areas 'that aussies don't use because they cook and eat outside if possible' and it must have a large pool as well because everyone knows that to buy an aussie house its dirt cheap. They live in a small house over here that they can't sell because they are asking too high an asking price then think they deserve a mansion. People want a british style home it seems even though its a different life they say they long for. Most Australians believe you have to work hard for the right to live as some of them do. Why can people not see that a smaller run down place may have potential because basically they are starting out all over again or rent for a few years.
I'd be happy just for the chance to get there and work it out for myself
Hear hear (or is it "here here" - I never know lol )
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morrisj3
Hear hear (or is it "here here" - I never know lol )

It's 'Hear hear'.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:19 pm
Jenny

Location: Bradford, but moving to Busselton WA in Sept 2010 (yay!!!!)
morrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Alfresco
It's 'Hear hear'.
Thanks Alfresco!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

Anyone notice that none of the families ask "where can I buy fish n chips or a decent curry?"

Is it edited out or do these become pressing questions when one becomes an expat?

I did my homework, I know where I can get Tayto crisps in Melbourne ($2.50 a bag!!)
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:06 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leedelta
Anyone notice that none of the families ask "where can I buy fish n chips or a decent curry?"

Is it edited out or do these become pressing questions when one becomes an expat?

I did my homework, I know where I can get Tayto crisps in Melbourne ($2.50 a bag!!)
lol are they proper ones, all the way from Tayto Castle in Sunny Tandragee?!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
lol are they proper ones, all the way from Tayto Castle in Sunny Tandragee?!
No,County Meath sometimes they have the Irish price on them - 49c. I offered a dollar after converting to local currency and was promptly told to bugger off

Mr Tayto has a book out They even brought spring onion flavor back, that proves we are in a recession.

Hmm....Snax

http://www.taytocrisps.ie/
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Murky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leedelta

Maybe instead of inviting friends round for a barbie, expats invite everyone round for a curry night instead
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future

YIPEEEE.... It's Perth today. Seems thats Perths on most Wednesdays..
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wanttobedownunder
YIPEEEE.... It's Perth today. Seems thats Perths on most Wednesdays..
Sooperb! Look forward to watching that tonight ;-)
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering how they choose the "lifestyle" Aussie families (who all seem lovely)? Do they just ask around to see if anyone wants to go on the programme, or is there a "bank" of people? I felt desperately sorry for the Brisbane couple yesterday and have noticed just how many people are not going for financial reasons - good old credit crunch. I remember the early days of me joining this forum, the questions used to be shall we go or not whereas now it's a case of can we afford to go as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.