Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK social worker looking to work and live in Victoria - advice please

UK social worker looking to work and live in Victoria - advice please

Old Feb 24th 2017, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK social worker looking to work and live in Victoria - advice please

Originally Posted by spidernose
The list of offices that I've been given to choose from are:

Box Hill
Broadmeadows
Cheltenham
Collingwood
Dandenong
Fitzray
Footscray
Frankston
Geelong
Preston
Richmond
Sunshine

Obviously I dont want to live and work on the patch.

Was looking at Geelong, Bendigo and Franston to live, can anyone tell me what these areas are like please. I've googled them but it tends to give information about the history of the place, attractions, hotels etc and not any information that I'm looking for about what its actually like to live there
I was born in Williamstown, also had 5 years living and working in Bendigo. Obviously if beaches are important Bendigo is 2 hours away from one but has swimming pools and Lake Eppalock. It was a fantastic place to live and had most things you need.

My brother has lived in Frankston for a long time and likes it a lot; it has it's good and not so good side and that's why they have a social work office there. Geelong is a great place too, have visited countless times in my life but not lived there. Thumbs up for Bendigo, Frankston and Geelong for me. If you work in Frankston and want to be away from it, personally I'd go down the Mornington Peninsula and not closer to the city.

Footscray and the area around it is changing a lot for the better. Have a look at Seddon, Yarraville etc as well as West Footscray. In simple terms all these suburbs have been 'gentrified' since I was a lad. Very close to the city, close to beaches, lots of things to see and do, cafes etc.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:48 pm
ExPonteland

Exnorthumbrian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK social worker looking to work and live in Victoria - advice please

If you want to be near the beaches - I would choose Frankston.
The lifestyle down on the Mornington Peninsula is great (we live in Balnarring) bayside (sheltered ) and ocean side beaches, over 60 wineries if you are into that, lots of golf courses, great school in Frankston High if you live in the zone, shopping. Further done the Peninsula there is another good state school at Dromana - also on the beach.
In terms of housing affordability -rental or buying- (check www.realestate.com.au or www.domain.com.au) I would work in Frankston and live say in Crib Point or Hastings which are further down the Mornington Peninsula on the ocean side and both on a small train line to Frankston or 30 mins drive to Frankston. Hastings has all the major supermarkets including Aldi but a bit like a small country town with a single high street. Crib Point is like a small suburb of Hastings. The beaches near Crib Point - Balnarring, Merricks and further along the ocean side -Shoreham, Point Leo, Flinders are quiet and beautiful. All the beaches on the bayside of the Peninsula tend to be very busy in summer as lots of people come down to stay for the holidays or drive down for the day.
Depends what sort of lifestyle you want.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I have been advised job first visa second

My question isn't about visas it's about the area.

Some of these comments really aren't helpful
If you want a temporary work permit that means you can live in Oz for between one day and four years then job first. If you want to move to Australia then visa first.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Many of the suburbs mentioned are million dollar plus now. Thats entry point, probably in need of demolish or total reno. Advertised guide prices are get you in the door, going 300,000 over that is nothing. Stamp duty will then take a good chunk of another 100. With the current exchange rate the op needs to know this. However i dont know the frankston property market maybe its way cheaper.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 2:09 am
Just Joined

spidernose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana

thank you! just need to find out about the area now and what its like to live there and if its the right place for me
Old Feb 25th 2017, 2:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Many of the suburbs mentioned are million dollar plus now. Thats entry point, probably in need of demolish or total reno. Advertised guide prices are get you in the door, going 300,000 over that is nothing. Stamp duty will then take a good chunk of another 100. With the current exchange rate the op needs to know this. However i dont know the frankston property market maybe its way cheaper.
Definitely not looking for million dollar plus prices! just affordable living in a fairly decent area not too far from the coast. where would you suggest?
Old Feb 25th 2017, 2:18 am
Just Joined

thanks for the info. I'm not into golf, wineries and don't need schools. Would be interested in knowing more about Frankston, I've heard mixed reviews about it. Is there certain parts of it to avoid?
Old Feb 25th 2017, 2:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I was born in Williamstown, also had 5 years living and working in Bendigo. Obviously if beaches are important Bendigo is 2 hours away from one but has swimming pools and Lake Eppalock. It was a fantastic place to live and had most things you need.

My brother has lived in Frankston for a long time and likes it a lot; it has it's good and not so good side and that's why they have a social work office there. Geelong is a great place too, have visited countless times in my life but not lived there. Thumbs up for Bendigo, Frankston and Geelong for me. If you work in Frankston and want to be away from it, personally I'd go down the Mornington Peninsula and not closer to the city.

Footscray and the area around it is changing a lot for the better. Have a look at Seddon, Yarraville etc as well as West Footscray. In simple terms all these suburbs have been 'gentrified' since I was a lad. Very close to the city, close to beaches, lots of things to see and do, cafes etc.
thank you for e information. I've heard thing about Bendigo, maybe I need to re think if being near the beach is a deal breaker. Are their certain parts of Frankston to avoid?
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:04 am
ExPonteland

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I suggest you use www.domain.com.au or www.realestate.com.au to check the prices in Frankston, Hastings and Crib Point. Unless you are going to an auction to buy a house, I am pretty sure that if there is a price quoted - you can buy it for that price . Everyone pays stamp duty - in Victoria it is about 4-6% depending on value of house - check with www.sro.vic.gov.au.
But as a new migrant - the best solution is to rent for a while and rent in Frankston, Hastings and Crib Point and Geelong is certainly lower than city suburbs and it is easier to get a place.You van also check that out in the rent a areas of those 2 websites.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:11 am
ExPonteland

thank you for e information. I've heard thing about Bendigo, maybe I need to re think if being near the beach is a deal breaker. Are their certain parts of Frankston to avoid?
Frankston is like any suburb with social problems - bad parts in North Frankston, around the railway station, drugs , violence, crime. But that's pretty much everywhere these days . If you look at Collingwood, Fitzroy, Dandenong - it is worse there in my opinion and no beach.
South Frankston - more expensive. I would work in Frankston there but not live there - I would live in Hastings or Crib Point.
Bendigo - you would need to get opinion from Bendigo expats. It's colder in winter and hotter in summer.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

What is important to a lot of people is living within the Frankston High School zone. I know you said schools aren't important to you but in simple terms the nicer parts of Frankston are in the FHS zone. My brother and his wife have 3 children and they moved house within Frankston when the oldest was getting near secondary school age. This meant moving down the hill a few miles, closer to Nepean Hwy, to be in FHS zone.

We had a great life in Bendigo and found less and less need to go down to Melbourne. We are into sport; you said you weren't; but get involved in the community in some way and you'll soon have a circle of friends and things to do. It's inland so of course without the moderating influence of the sea it will be a few degrees warmer in summer and a few degrees cooler in winter as a general rule but not noticeably different to a Melburnian. You get a lot more property for your money as well and lower than Frankston prices and well below Melbourne median). Another increasingly popular option is to get a huge house with plenty of land 10 or 15 minutes from Bendigo in places such as Strathfieldsaye.

House price median - Melbourne $770K, Frankston $464K, Bendigo $415K
Unit price median - Melbourne $564K, Frankston $350K, Bendigo $259K
Old Feb 25th 2017, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A Bendigo photo from March '16 when the Marilyn Monroe statue was there for a few months. (Queen Victoria looking away saying 'we are not amused')!

Old Feb 25th 2017, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And the other way:

Old Feb 25th 2017, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Exnorthumbrian
Frankston is like any suburb with social problems - bad parts in North Frankston, around the railway station, drugs , violence, crime. But that's pretty much everywhere these days . If you look at Collingwood, Fitzroy, Dandenong - it is worse there in my opinion and no beach.
South Frankston - more expensive. I would work in Frankston there but not live there - I would live in Hastings or Crib Point.
Bendigo - you would need to get opinion from Bendigo expats. It's colder in winter and hotter in summer.
thanks, that's what I'm after really someone's opinion on where they would live and work, I know we're all different but its a starting point which is what I'm after and then I'll do some research

I can't buy a house for 2 years can I? what is the FSH zone?
Old Feb 25th 2017, 12:51 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

what is the FSH zone?
Here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.