UK - Perth

Old Jun 25th 2013, 7:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK - Perth

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Can you take a year out/sabbatical and come over on a WHV? Try before you buy kind of thing? It sounds like you'll be giving up a lot of positives and you don't sound convinced yourself. Migration is not easy and I believe you need to be sure to integrate easier x
Very much doubt any Aussie police service would take you on a WHV, they will ask for PR at the very least.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 8:18 am
Just Joined

coopobot is an unknown quantity at this point

Leewillo. I appreciate your reply. It is those exact type of reasons that i am interested in and wanting to move over for. But i would be leaving a lot of things and a comfortable way of life behind.

Big choices, big decisions. Very difficult at the moment to decide what i will do. (If i get through all the exams and interviews that is)
Old Jun 25th 2013, 9:46 am
Just Joined

coopobot is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no part time transfer to see what its like available. Otherwise i think thousands of people would be trying that.

Also there is no way i could either get time off to visit Perth on a longer basis, IE: several months. Or to afford to come over for a few week holiday whilst the current application is going on as i need to be saving money to bring over with me.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Have sent you a private message
Old Jun 25th 2013, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Katarina222 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
The plus side is you go get to shoot and taze people, so it's not all bad.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 12:38 am
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

It annoys me to see posts like this from people who have applied for something, and are now having doubts. The WAPol site says there were 600 applications for 250 testing spots. If you weren't 100% sure before you applied, why did you apply? Someone out there who REALLY wants to make the move has missed out on the chance because you're now having doubts.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gregster10217
It annoys me to see posts like this from people who have applied for something, and are now having doubts. The WAPol site says there were 600 applications for 250 testing spots. If you weren't 100% sure before you applied, why did you apply? Someone out there who REALLY wants to make the move has missed out on the chance because you're now having doubts.
A bit harsh. We are talking about moving to the other side of the planet for goodness sake. It's a life changing decision so would expect the OP to have doubts and questions.

I've now been living here 10 years and I'm still not sure I made the right decision !!!! I came here because my husband didn't want to live in the UK. Before I met him I had never considered emigrating to any country.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Sylvia18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya. I feel for your decision I really do. But do you want to go through life wondering "what if"? Go through the process. It's not cheap but so what. If you decide not to go then don't go. The visa is where is starts getting very expensive. You should decide before then. I am going out soon so cannot say what Perth is like. Those who I know have been there from the UK like it. Yes it's expensive but you won't need creature comforts when you've got the great outdoors to explore....that's free.
Policing is policing wherever you go there will always be moans and groans. Why not do it somewhere where u can relax at the beach for the weekend?!
Old Jun 26th 2013, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gregster10217
A person may REALLY want to make the move - but if they've been unable to make the cut for a job selection process, then that doesn't make them worthy of a place if someone who has made the cut is having doubts. It just means the person who REALLY wants to go has failed the first part of the process - and would likely fail the second if they had of got to the first part.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

jim_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I really think you need to come to Perth and take a very good look around before deciding to throw away a relationship, job and life in UK. Please don't get me wrong - I like living in Perth. However, after being here in WA for the past 6 years I am able to see past the travel brochures and TV shows extoling the virtues of life in WA. Come here, take a month or so to live like a local and not like a tourist and then decide whether you want to give up all you have now to join WAPOL.
are you wa police? if so you should have a good idea about crime and how busy it is etc? you seem very negative about the whole idea. is there a reason for this? asking as I am due to move so any info is good.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 11:01 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jim_1
are you wa police? if so you should have a good idea about crime and how busy it is etc? you seem very negative about the whole idea. is there a reason for this? asking as I am due to move so any info is good.
No, I'm not working for the police. And yes, I do have an idea about crime and how busy the police are. No, I'm not negative about the whole idea, just realistic. Perth is not utopia - it's just another first world city in a first world country.

My family has a very good life here in Perth. We make a decent wage, have a nice house, good jobs, etc. However it is not where we will live out the rest of our lives (at least not me anyway). I am finding the culture here very different from where I come from and not necessarily for the better.

Of course it's all personal opinion and you might be happier than a pig in poo here. If moving to the other side of the world to join the police is what you want to do then do it. Just go in with your eyes open that Australia is not some sort of paradise.