Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Try another state, Work in mines, or return to UK ?!

Try another state, Work in mines, or return to UK ?!

Old Jun 14th 2010, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

shark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant future
Default Re: Try another state, Work in mines, or return to UK ?!

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You know that as you've been away from the UK for more than 3 years, she'll have to pay International Fees for studying in the UK? Get her the citizenship and then she can study here using HECS.
?????
would u have to pay inter school fees after 3 yrs for a uk primary or secondry school?
Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:16 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
From my experience 'grassing' is a great Aussie tradition.

Mateship my arse
I have found wherever I live if a few people work together , they just cant keep things to themselves.

However I cant imagine you can be disiciplined for something you have not done? So I would agree this job sounds like sh1te....

Well done for keeping positive Paul.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shark bait
?????
would u have to pay inter school fees after 3 yrs for a uk primary or secondry school?
No, it's only for higher ed - College, uni fees.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 4:05 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Awww Paul, I remember your thread when you went to London to drive a taxi for a few weeks one December (long time ago now!)

My thoughts then were that you were a man who really wanted something and was prepared to make big sacrifices to get it....

Having a pants job doesn't do you any favours really, and if you're all feeling awful it may make the UK seem very attractive.

I'm not saying that it's a perfect solution, but it has already been mentioned on this thread.... Bite the bullet, enquire about your licence. If you can get it back without too much drama (ie not doing The Knowledge again!) then apply and perhaps go back and do a bit of work for a month or so... Maybe Nic could get herself signed off from work ( did I say that out loud!?) and come with... No commitments, but then you could have a little 'test drive' to see if it 'fits' If it doesn't then your taxi driving should pay for the trip and you'll be no worse off, if it does then you'll have made a decision based on what it really feels like, not what you imagine it will be...

I know that you have a job here, but if it's really that bad then giving it up won't be too much of a loss and if/when you come back you'll be able to look with your eyes wide open and a new positive attitude, because you've chosen your location and it's what you really, really want....

A quick check on kayak.com has shown flights going out on 8th August with Royal brunei for $1073 return. (just so you can cost it up... I'm not saying you should do as I suggest!)

I wish you all the best, whatever you decide to do Paul, your posts have always been interesting and informative.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

My Husband works in the power station just out side of karatha and stays at fortascew mine camp. He is at the top of his game in his trade, he works 4 weeks on 12 hr days 13 days straight, and 7 days off, the pay works out about 170K a year + pip, Its hard work, he has been doing it for 6mths now but plans to finish by oct, There is a new mine opening in QLD, they are looking for the trades to start nov.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Oh well, cards marked now!

Turned up for work today and was took straight into a meeting with the boss.

My supervisor was told by a fellow collegue that I was gonna chuck a sicky (oooo, an australian grass someone up? ... nooooooo!) and as a result I've been given my first warning. 2 and I'm out, so don't need to be a rocket scientist to see where this is goin!

Oh someone please get me out of here!!!
I find this one of the most breath-taking stories ever posted on BE.

Noone, noone I have ever worked with in all the years I have been working would ever do this. For one thing, noone else would care. It's the sort of action a 20 year old shift supervisor would take with a 16 year old employee who was late getting on to the french fry station at a fast-food joint!!

As an employer, I would not allow someone to make such a comment: for one thing, would they be telling the truth, and also, more importantly, I would feel it would damage the very integrity and reputation of the job, team, industry..and make the entire operation look like a children's playground...infact I would have a tactful, but firm word with the person for even raising it.

In my industry people ring in and say - 'not in today, in late, late this arvo' and people shrug and say 'we'll see you when we see you'. Which might be the next day. They don't even bother recording your sickies! End of story.

I've heard it all now!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:26 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit being confused by the action taken by his 'superior'. How can you put someone on warning for something you've been told they are going to do? Had he been dobbed in for something he'd done then I guess a conversation but they said he was planning on a sickie, he hadn't even done it or did I read it wrong?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit being confused by the action taken by his 'superior'. How can you put someone on warning for something you've been told they are going to do? Had he been dobbed in for something he'd done then I guess a conversation but they said he was planning on a sickie, he hadn't even done it or did I read it wrong?
I know. The whole thing is a concern. hmm.....I wonder, and worry, about humanity. (Once more...)
Old Jun 15th 2010, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, seriously bemused by this one!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I love these dilemma's ...

Just wondering if anyone had much info on these 'mines jobs' and are the stories of megabucks pw true? ...

Basically got 2 adults and 2 teen kids wondering is all the work ethic bollox here (Gold Coast) REALLY worth it for a bit of sunshine ?!

Currently 4 - 0 saying no ...

Any pointers on where I can find these $100 ph jobs just to drive trucks up and down mines in WA?

Cheers
Return to UK
Old Jun 15th 2010, 4:20 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

As an employer, I would not allow someone to make such a comment: for one thing, would they be telling the truth
Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Yes, seriously bemused by this one!
Me too!
Paul, it sounds like you work in an awful place
You can't be put on a warning for something you haven't actually done!

I hope you find something better soon xx
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:13 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kapri
Paul, it sounds like you work in an awful place
Agreed! ... but nothing else out there so HAVE to stay put.

Incidently I didn't have any sick leave to my name so they've took the day out of my annual leave, which is nice of them ...

Currently waiting for me to put my next foot in the wrong place. Was 10 mins late for work today cos of traffic, that'll prob do and I'm awaiting the meeting as we speak.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
and make the entire operation look like a children's playground
At last! ... some one who knows where I work.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 1:00 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed! ... but nothing else out there so HAVE to stay put.

Incidently I didn't have any sick leave to my name so they've took the day out of my annual leave, which is nice of them ...

Currently waiting for me to put my next foot in the wrong place. Was 10 mins late for work today cos of traffic, that'll prob do and I'm awaiting the meeting as we speak.
My Mum used to say 'dont let the bastards grind you down' and that is something I learned to my cost.

You are better than they are, you are worth more than they realise, so gather your thoughts, redo your resume and have a good look around for other opportunities, they have a habit of presenting themselves when you least expect it.

Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
My Mum used to say 'dont let the bastards grind you down' and that is something I learned to my cost.

You are better than they are, you are worth more than they realise, so gather your thoughts, redo your resume and have a good look around for other opportunities, they have a habit of presenting themselves when you least expect it.

I'm lookin!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.