Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Truth about Melbourne Weather

Truth about Melbourne Weather

Old May 14th 2007, 12:44 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Truth about Melbourne Weather

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
The first time we stayed there, it was on a houseboat on the Murray in July
i know, thats when we met you remember?
Old May 14th 2007, 12:47 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
i know, thats when we met you remember?

Yep Next trip up there probably won't be till the summer now
Old May 14th 2007, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

What's the coldest daytime high you're likely to get in Adelaide?

In 2 winters, the lowest daytime high here has been 10.2C.

At night it get's down to about 4C

the lowest since I've been here was about 12 last winter.
Old May 14th 2007, 12:51 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
the lowest since I've been here was about 12 last winter.

OMG, that would be way too hot for me
Old May 14th 2007, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, that would be way too hot for me

Old May 14th 2007, 1:30 am
HJG
Forum Regular

HJG is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response, I know it sound mads to suggest the North West and Melbourne are neck and neck when it comes to weather, but that's genuinely how it felt both times I've visitied.

I can see now from reasing the responses what the issue is, it isn't that the weather isn't good, its just that it changes frequently due to the winds etc, and this is not what I'm used to. Coming from the North West, when we see sunshine even though its rare we expect it to stick around for a couple of days and get the kids paddling pool out. The question I should probably have asked is are there any areas of Victoria or other parts of Australia where the weather is more stable?

thanks again

HJG
Old May 14th 2007, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HJG
Thanks for the response, I know it sound mads to suggest the North West and Melbourne are neck and neck when it comes to weather, but that's genuinely how it felt both times I've visitied.

I can see now from reasing the responses what the issue is, it isn't that the weather isn't good, its just that it changes frequently due to the winds etc, and this is not what I'm used to. Coming from the North West, when we see sunshine even though its rare we expect it to stick around for a couple of days and get the kids paddling pool out. The question I should probably have asked is are there any areas of Victoria or other parts of Australia where the weather is more stable?

thanks again

HJG
The East or West coasts are probably a bit more stable, although I've never been so someone who's there will have to tell you what it's really like.
Old May 14th 2007, 1:37 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by HJG

thanks again

HJG
Believe me, from about October through to April you'll be able to do that much of the time, and from December to mid-March the temp won't drop below about 22/23C often and if it does you'll feel the cold as it's usual for it to be 27/28C+. You could go further North for more stable weather, but then you'd get humidity which isn't generally a factor in Melbourne. However, I'm not sure weather should be top of the list of the factor's when considering where to emigrate to in oz.
Old May 14th 2007, 1:49 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Just think of the money you could save by moving to North West UK though.
Old May 14th 2007, 2:36 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HJG
are there any areas of Victoria or other parts of Australia where the weather is more stable?
thanks again

HJG

come to Mildura, they weather is always lovely, 95% of the time there isnt a cloud in the sky, and its warm almost all the time (apart from winter nights )
Old May 14th 2007, 2:37 am
Made the move -

Originally Posted by Bordy
Just think of the money you could save by moving to North West UK though.
true
Old May 14th 2007, 2:43 am
Just Joined

WheresTheWind is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HJG
There are lots of reasons why I should be emigrating to Melbourne with my family. However whenever I've visited the weather has been poor. The first time I visited Easter 2006. Apparantly the weather had been good for the games, but by April 7th, it was jumpers (and coats). In an attempt not to make the same mistake again, I came in Jan/Feb this year.The weather was better in that I could use the pool maybe 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 days - but I didn't get the feel of the summer evenings we have in the UK, and the fleece was out at least 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 days also.

I really want to make the move work as it means a lot to other members of the family - but I cannot get past the memory of disappointing weather. I live in the rainy North West in Britian and have had to do so because of jobs for 20 years - I am now free for something better, and do not want to get tied down into the same situation again.

My questions, asked honestly are as follows:

Have I been unlucky with the weather in Melbourne?
Are there parts of Melbourne with better weather than others?
If I wanted to get better weather than Melbourne -where would you suggest?

Thanks
HJG
We had a walk along the beach yesterday in t-shirts - this is 2 weeks from winter. Need I say more?

I love the weather here - it good to get a bit of variety, I couldn't be bothered with hot weather all the year round.
Old May 14th 2007, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Put it this way, I wish we had of bought an over-ground pool for this summer - we would have been in it almost everyday from Jan-Mar. When a cool change comes in it generally breaks a 35+oC day, down to 22oC sometimes - which, for me, is bloody lovely
Old May 14th 2007, 5:59 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

We were over in Melbourne a couple of years ago, late march to mid april.

Weather was fantastic. Bit of a scorcher. So much so that No2 son didn't take in as much water as he should and ended up fainting in my dinner along Southbank on the second evening we were there.

Did rain once....but that's why we are moving to Melbourne. We want some hot, but not ALL the time. Totally agree with Shakmaty.

D D
Old May 14th 2007, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas Day 2006 was ''freak'' weather - coldest in 50 years.

People forget that was 50mm or so of rain which came after a winter and spring of vertually no rain.

If it hadn't been Christmas Day, it would have gone far more unheralded.

It is middle of November, 6 weeks away from winter solstice and what would be Christmas in the UK and we were in t-shirts at the weekend in blazing sunshine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.