Reload this Page >

Truth about Melbourne Weather

Truth about Melbourne Weather

Old May 13th 2007, 2:14 pm
HJG
Forum Regular

HJG is on a distinguished road
Default Truth about Melbourne Weather

There are lots of reasons why I should be emigrating to Melbourne with my family. However whenever I've visited the weather has been poor. The first time I visited Easter 2006. Apparantly the weather had been good for the games, but by April 7th, it was jumpers (and coats). In an attempt not to make the same mistake again, I came in Jan/Feb this year.The weather was better in that I could use the pool maybe 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 days - but I didn't get the feel of the summer evenings we have in the UK, and the fleece was out at least 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 days also.

I really want to make the move work as it means a lot to other members of the family - but I cannot get past the memory of disappointing weather. I live in the rainy North West in Britian and have had to do so because of jobs for 20 years - I am now free for something better, and do not want to get tied down into the same situation again.

My questions, asked honestly are as follows:

Have I been unlucky with the weather in Melbourne?
Are there parts of Melbourne with better weather than others?
If I wanted to get better weather than Melbourne -where would you suggest?

Thanks
HJG
Old May 13th 2007, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice
Default Re: Truth about Melbourne Weather

Originally Posted by HJG
There are lots of reasons why I should be emigrating to Melbourne with my family. However whenever I've visited the weather has been poor. The first time I visited Easter 2006. Apparantly the weather had been good for the games, but by April 7th, it was jumpers (and coats). In an attempt not to make the same mistake again, I came in Jan/Feb this year.The weather was better in that I could use the pool maybe 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 days - but I didn't get the feel of the summer evenings we have in the UK, and the fleece was out at least 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 days also.

I really want to make the move work as it means a lot to other members of the family - but I cannot get past the memory of disappointing weather. I live in the rainy North West in Britian and have had to do so because of jobs for 20 years - I am now free for something better, and do not want to get tied down into the same situation again.

Thanks
HJG
We moved to melbourne in July last year, but we're now in SA, one of the reasons we first chose Melbourne was the fact that it didn't get as hot there as other places in aus ( i get prickly heat) However, have to say the summer was pretty disappointing, there were HOT days, but generally speaking these happened once or twice a week, it seems melbourne is very similar to north west uk in that the rest of the country can be basking in 40degrees and it's pee'ing down and miserable max of 20 in melbourne (if your lucky)
Xmas day was freezing 13 degrees and pouring down, could hardly ring the uk to gloat about spending the day on the beach then one day in feb (or maybe early march) it hailed, it was just like uk weather!!!
Cant comment on summer in SA, though i believe its generally a few degrees warmer, when we left melbourne it was getting down to 15degrees or so average. been in SA a month now and the weathers been glorious, 20-24 most days.
Know where i prefer to be
Old May 13th 2007, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

boothy6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sean and Maria

we are in the trows of applying to emigrate to Adelaide as we have 4 children and were told that South Australia was better for families. I am waiting for the return of my skills assessment form (I'm a nurse and hubby an engineer) to come back, nearly 12 weeks of waiting. They assure me all is OK they are just behind with the paperwork. Is Adelaide nice? which part would you suggest is the nicer areas and are there many rental properties?

helen
Old May 13th 2007, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

The link below is for a website which has comparisons of Oz states there is a weather page which has statistics for all states, it maybe of interest to you www.freewebs.com/informedmigration/
Old May 13th 2007, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

Originally Posted by boothy6
Hi Sean and Maria

we are in the trows of applying to emigrate to Adelaide as we have 4 children and were told that South Australia was better for families. I am waiting for the return of my skills assessment form (I'm a nurse and hubby an engineer) to come back, nearly 12 weeks of waiting. They assure me all is OK they are just behind with the paperwork. Is Adelaide nice? which part would you suggest is the nicer areas and are there many rental properties?

helen
Have PM'd you Helen
Old May 13th 2007, 11:56 pm
dc1
Forum Regular

dc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the rough

We live 1.5 hrs north of Melbourne. The weather :-

Summer up to the 40 winter nights down to -5

The weather can change from day to day for instance we had a 38 deg day one day and 20 deg the day after I have been here 2 years and this is my summary

sum 25 -35 with min 20 and max 40 nights dark at 21:30 night temp 12
Aut 15 - 25 with min 10 and max 28 nights dark st 18:00 night temp 5
Win 12- 20 with min 8 and max 22 nights dark at 17:15 night temp 2
Spr similar to Aut

The weather can change overnight but they are in a 10 year drought at the moment so it could get a lot wetter.

derek
Old May 14th 2007, 12:21 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HJG

Thanks
HJG
Melbourne's weather is changeable, but generally 10C better than the UK year round. To compare drought stricken Melbourne to wet North West England is not true to life. The past few days it has been in the low to mid 20's....remember that this month is comparable to November in the UK!

Melbourne weather is affected by winds from the North....very hot, making the incredibly hot +40 days in the summer, and winds from the South, pretty cold. This summer we had a night that didn't get below 28C, in the morning it rose to 37C, and in the space of 45 minutes that dropped to 22C all because of a change in the wind direction.

I personally love the weather in Melbourne. It never stays too hot for long, or too cold for long.
Old May 14th 2007, 12:22 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanandmaria
We moved to melbourne in July last year, but we're now in SA, one of the reasons we first chose Melbourne was the fact that it didn't get as hot there as other places in aus ( i get prickly heat) However, have to say the summer was pretty disappointing, there were HOT days, but generally speaking these happened once or twice a week, it seems melbourne is very similar to north west uk in that the rest of the country can be basking in 40degrees and it's pee'ing down and miserable max of 20 in melbourne (if your lucky) Xmas day was freezing 13 degrees and pouring down, could hardly ring the uk to gloat about spending the day on the beach then one day in feb (or maybe early march) it hailed, it was just like uk weather!!!
Cant comment on summer in SA, though i believe its generally a few degrees warmer, when we left melbourne it was getting down to 15degrees or so average. been in SA a month now and the weathers been glorious, 20-24 most days.
Know where i prefer to be
Utter tosh
Old May 14th 2007, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

The weather in SA is about the same as the weather in Melbourne. If you are looking for it being hot all year round maybe try Cairns.
Old May 14th 2007, 12:33 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by Wendy
The weather in SA is about the same as the weather in Melbourne. If you are looking for it being hot all year round maybe try Cairns.
Let's be fair....you're about 0.3-0.8C better I'd say
Old May 14th 2007, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Let's be fair....you're about 0.3-0.8C better I'd say

Well I didn't want to brag
Old May 14th 2007, 12:39 am
Take it easy

What's the coldest daytime high you're likely to get in Adelaide?

In 2 winters, the lowest daytime high here has been 10.2C.

At night it get's down to about 4C

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

i found melbourne weather not to be as cold as scotland where im from but very changeable the first day we arrived it was 12 degrees i was a bit shocked i thought because we were in oz it would be hot saying that my hubby was walking around in a t shirt and everyone else had coats on

kezx
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

try Mildura, where most of the year, you get hot water out of both taps, and bread goes mouldy within a few hrs
however, in the winter it can get FREEZING overnight, we've had FROST here but the baking hot summers and beautiful warm spring and autumn makes up for it
Old May 14th 2007, 12:41 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc

try Mildura, where most of the year, you get hot water out of both taps, and bread goes mouldy within a few hrs
however, in the winter it can get FREEZING overnight, we've had FROST here but the baking hot summers and beautiful warm spring and autumn makes up for it
The first time we stayed there, it was on a houseboat on the Murray in July

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.