Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transferring Money Stuff

Transferring Money Stuff

Old Oct 10th 2004, 7:52 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transferring Money Stuff

Phoned HSBC to sort out bank stuff - the international number in London - and thought that as a UK HSBC customer, it'd be easy.

Turned out that to get an Oz account, I'd need to be introduced by UK bank, send copies of passport, driving licence and bank card - current bank card not good enough as it's got my initials and not full name, so need a new one first - then it would take about four weeks and I may still get turned down.

He also told me that a bank draft was alot of hassle if I lost it and travellers cheques were expensive.

So, I e-mailed ANZ, downloaded the form and posted it off. Contacted them by e-mail and apparently it's easy to transfer cash from HSBC UK account to ANZ Oz. The only downside was I can't take out cash till I arrive. All I need to activate account is passport within six weeks of arriving.

Thought I'd share this with you. Tell me if I'm missing something.

Paul.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transferring Money Stuff

Originally Posted by diddy
Phoned HSBC to sort out bank stuff - the international number in London - and thought that as a UK HSBC customer, it'd be easy.

Turned out that to get an Oz account, I'd need to be introduced by UK bank, send copies of passport, driving licence and bank card - current bank card not good enough as it's got my initials and not full name, so need a new one first - then it would take about four weeks and I may still get turned down.

He also told me that a bank draft was alot of hassle if I lost it and travellers cheques were expensive.

So, I e-mailed ANZ, downloaded the form and posted it off. Contacted them by e-mail and apparently it's easy to transfer cash from HSBC UK account to ANZ Oz. The only downside was I can't take out cash till I arrive. All I need to activate account is passport within six weeks of arriving.

Paul.
Worth knowing - I'm with HSBC too
Why does there have to be so much red tape with them when every tranaction can be made online/telephone?
Cas
Old Oct 10th 2004, 8:08 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Worth knowing - I'm with HSBC too
Why does there have to be so much red tape with them when every tranaction can be made online/telephone?
Cas
This was another thing that bugged me. I've also got online banking, but I can't use it to tranfer cash into my Australian account. I've got to do that from here and actually go into a branch. So, from there I'll probably have to go via parents accouts if I want to tranfer cash out.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

bmxboon is an unknown quantity at this point

Paul.
what a bloody pain in the arse these banks can be eh?
luckily though, i don't have any problems as my g/friends sister-in- law is a bank manager and she is going to open an account in her name so we can transfer funds to that, then open our own when we get there!
simple really, unless your sister in law isn't a bank manager lol
Old Oct 10th 2004, 11:21 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

and maybe your gf's sister in law will become a travelling ex bank manager when she has your money in her account
Old Oct 10th 2004, 11:48 pm
ABCDiamond

This was another thing that bugged me. I've also got online banking, but I can't use it to tranfer cash into my Australian account. I've got to do that from here and actually go into a branch. So, from there I'll probably have to go via parents accouts if I want to tranfer cash out.
That's a bit of a puzzle. I get the feeling that the people that work in the banks don't really know what they can and can't do.

With my UK & OZ HSBC accounts, I was able to transfer from UK to OZ, by sending a fax to the UK bank, and the funds could be transferred the next day.

Old Oct 11th 2004, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

The answer to transferring your funds when you get an Ozzie bank account is to use companies like HIFX www.hifx.co.uk

When you are due to leave the country agree a rate with them and provide them with the details of you Ozzie account and they will converft into dollars and transfer to your account.

Really easy, no hassle and generally a better exchange rate than the banks.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 12:42 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Billabong
The answer to transferring your funds when you get an Ozzie bank account is to use companies like HIFX www.hifx.co.uk

When you are due to leave the country agree a rate with them and provide them with the details of you Ozzie account and they will converft into dollars and transfer to your account.

Really easy, no hassle and generally a better exchange rate than the banks.
I set up a bill payment (in my UK account) to HIFX; who then sent it onto my Oz account. I was then able to do everything over the internet. Phoning the bank to do anything was a waste of time.

If anyone gets in your way, just find another way.
Cheers
Alistair
Old Oct 11th 2004, 1:54 pm
ODDBALL

I am planning on using HIFX and have registered with them in advance of selling the house, it did sell once but I better not go into that I was just wondering if there are any hidden charges with the service they provide?

Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:46 pm
Monkey

In article <[email protected]> ,
member23218@british_expats.com (diddy) wrote:

> *Subject:* Transferring Money Stuff
    > *From:* diddy <member23218@british_expats.com>
    > *Date:* Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:52:52 +0000
    >
    >
    > Phoned HSBC to sort out bank stuff - the international number in London
    > - and thought that as a UK HSBC customer, it'd be easy.
    >
    > Turned out that to get an Oz account, I'd need to be introduced by UK
    > bank, send copies of passport, driving licence and bank card - current
    > bank card not good enough as it's got my initials and not full name, so
    > need a new one first - then it would take about four weeks and I may
    > still get turned down.
    >
    > He also told me that a bank draft was alot of hassle if I lost it and
    > travellers cheques were expensive.
    >
    > So, I e-mailed ANZ, downloaded the form and posted it off. Contacted
    > them by e-mail and apparently it's easy to transfer cash from HSBC UK
    > account to ANZ Oz. The only downside was I can't take out cash till I
    > arrive. All I need to activate account is passport within six weeks
    > of arriving.
    >
    > Thought I'd share this with you. Tell me if I'm missing something.
    >
    > Paul.
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >

The problem with banks is that if you give them the chance to give you the
runaround, they will. What worked for me was:

1. Fill in HSBC.com.au online savings account application.

2. Print out and fill in PDF sent by them to my email address.

3. Photocopy all requested supporting documentation.

4. Go to UK branch and just said 'I need some documents signing for an
HSBC Australia bank account'. I laid out the originals and copies in turn
so the bank lady could see they were the same, she stamped them, signed
them and gave them back.

5. Having seen all the docs she was happy to sign the bit on the form
saying I had the points required.

6. Said thanks, walked out of bank, sent app form and docs off with
a covering letter saying I would fund the account by internet transfer
when they gave me the account details by email. Sent it all to the HSBC oz
address.

7. Received a/c details by email. Credited account via www.tranzfers.com.

8. Received cheque book, debit card and PIN to UK postal address.

In total it took about 3 weeks.

--
Paul
http://www.labrose.com