Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trains are so cheap!

Trains are so cheap!

Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:47 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trains are so cheap!

There is no such thing as a daily, weekly or monthly pass in Brisbane (as far as I know, I don't use public transport that oftenYou just have a GoCard which you tap on and off each trip. You are charged for the number of zones you cross each trip.
Only bonus is that if you make 9 trips between Monday and Sunday all other trips in that period are free. So for commuters the trip home on Friday and all weekend travel is free.

And yes, there is a surcharge to go to the airport: this is because that line is privately owned and not part of the Translink/QR network. The Airtrain fare is $16 from/to the City, or $30 return, so Moneypenny is paying $20 for the 90km from the Gold Coast to Brisbane and another $16 for the 10km out to the airport. Still cheaper than any other way of getting there - the domestic terminal is so far from the airport boundary that it is a $15 taxi fare just to get off the airport land!
Old Dec 10th 2013, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Can I ask what price is a Brissy metro 'all-in' ticket.
Their isn't one since we went to the go card (similar to the new Sydney card) system, you pay for each journey, although after 9 journeys in 1 week it's free.

I get to Brissy airport for about $3 (15kms) using the busses. 590 to the DFO shopping centre and then a FREE shuttle to the airport (runs every 20 min throughout the day).
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwi-Irish
I'm really shocked at the price of trains!

Its incredibly cheap compared to London/England.
I went from Sydney to the Central Coast on the weekend for $8 one way. I came back a separate day so it was $16 all up, but if I had returned the same day I think it would have been cheaper. Its a long way! a big distance! so really surprised at how cheap it is. Even the busses in Sydney are cheap.
:-)
happy days!
When you get to retirement age or have a pension card then it gets even better.

In NSW a $2.50 ticket gets you all day transport on government trains buses and ferries. I can get the train from here ( South of Newcastle ), have a day in Sydney cruising the harbour and rivers and then the train home and still have change from $3
Old Dec 10th 2013, 11:33 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
UK can be cheap if you book in advance though, I regularly do London to Bristol for a tenner.
It's sad that you just can't turn up and get a reasonable fare - it's seriously unaffordable

A few years ago, my son and I did London-Liverpool 1st-class return for about GBP40 each
Old Dec 10th 2013, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Their isn't one since we went to the go card (similar to the new Sydney card) system, you pay for each journey, although after 9 journeys in 1 week it's free.

I get to Brissy airport for about $3 (15kms) using the busses. 590 to the DFO shopping centre and then a FREE shuttle to the airport (runs every 20 min throughout the day).
Thanks.
Melbourne's airport link which er, relies on taxis and coaches!! is not cheap either!
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:28 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's sad that you just can't turn up and get a reasonable fare - it's seriously unaffordable

A few years ago, my son and I did London-Liverpool 1st-class return for about GBP40 each
Really??? 40 pounds for a First Class return?? That actually sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:31 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Is there an airport charge in there Penny? It pisses me off that, although daily travel is really cheap here in the Sydney area, it costs an extra $12.30 gatepass fee just to get off at either of airport stops (well, not to get off but to be able to get from the train into the airport)

Does my head in.
Its actually slightly better than it originally was, when the new line and stations was built you also had to pay a premium for Green Square and Mascot!! They are always 'looking' at the Airport surcharge but I don't see it going anytime soon. Having used both taxis and private hire to the airport as well as trains, it is still cheaper and actually quite fast....unless of course there is trackwork..and there is ALWAYS trackwork in Sydney!
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Really??? 40 pounds for a First Class return?? That actually sounds pretty reasonable to me.
It was. Booked 2 months in advance though
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:57 am
Social Grenade Thrower

ah ok.....still......not as bad as I would have thought it was. Might have to remember that, my mother lives in Liverpool...somewhere!
Old Dec 11th 2013, 5:18 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Train fares are like airfares, noone seems to pay the full fare. I could go London to Liverpool on Friday normal cattle class for £19 before 9.00am or £36 in the evening but if I wanted to go literally in a few minutes it would be £144
I could also travel London to Birmingham on Thursday for just £6.

Last edited by chris955; Dec 11th 2013 at 5:21 am.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 5:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney trains are cheap because of the low class of line that they travel on, the maximum speed is a snails pace and the maintenance is poor, as in it doesn't exceed any standards whatsoever. Having said that the service to smaller stations is excellent, something BR can't boast anymore.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 6:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

ah ok.....still......not as bad as I would have thought it was. Might have to remember that, my mother lives in Liverpool...somewhere!
Off-peak 1st class rail travel is very good value. You get free snacks and drinks on weekends, free sandwiches and rolls on weekdays (off peak), free wifi, nice seats etc

The Virgin trains that we took were very good - punctual too
Old Dec 11th 2013, 7:24 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Sydney trains are cheap because of the low class of line that they travel on, the maximum speed is a snails pace and the maintenance is poor, as in it doesn't exceed any standards whatsoever. Having said that the service to smaller stations is excellent, something BR can't boast anymore.
My brother is a driver in NSW and would agree with all that. They are also cheap because of massive subsidies, apparently every rail trip costs the NSW taxpayer $9.45. In 2011 it cost $3.5 billion to run and bought in $700 in revenue so thee is a huge hole.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 7:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by chris955
My brother is a driver in NSW and would agree with all that. They are also cheap because of massive subsidies, apparently every rail trip costs the NSW taxpayer $9.45. In 2011 it cost $3.5 billion to run and bought in $700 in revenue so thee is a huge hole.
Current UK rail subsidies (January 2013) - AUD10.8b
Old Dec 11th 2013, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

When we were last in the UK we took a normal commuter train from Oxted South of London into the City. It was about the same distance as Caboolture into Brisbane but was around two and a half times the price. And Queensland Rail is criticised for being very expensive compared to Syd and Melb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.