British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Trains are so cheap! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/trains-so-cheap-817377/)

Kiwi-Irish Dec 10th 2013 8:13 am

Trains are so cheap!

I'm really shocked at the price of trains!

Its incredibly cheap compared to London/England.
I went from Sydney to the Central Coast on the weekend for $8 one way. I came back a separate day so it was $16 all up, but if I had returned the same day I think it would have been cheaper. Its a long way! a big distance! so really surprised at how cheap it is. Even the busses in Sydney are cheap.
:-)
happy days!

Pollyana Dec 10th 2013 8:14 am

Re: Trains are so cheap!

Originally Posted by Kiwi-Irish (Post 11028887)

I went from Sydney to the Central Coast on the weekend for $8 one way. I came back a separate day so it was $16 all up, but if I had returned the same day I think it would have been cheaper. Its a long way! a big distance! so really surprised at how cheap it is. Even the busses in Sydney are cheap.
happy days!

UK can be cheap if you book in advance though, I regularly do London to Bristol for a tenner.

Kiwi-Irish Dec 10th 2013 8:15 am

Ah okay, fair point, but this was just bought there and then.
I'm never that organised though!

Buzzy--Bee Dec 10th 2013 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi-Irish (Post 11028887)

happy days!

It's about $4 for an all day weekend ticket in Melbourne. Great value for a family outing in the city and the kids love the train and tram rides.

BB

moneypenny20 Dec 10th 2013 9:04 am

Not flaming cheap going from my nearest station to Brissie Airport. :frown:

Red_V_Roger Dec 10th 2013 9:26 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11028965)
Not flaming cheap going from my nearest station to Brissie Airport. :frown:

I'm doing 6 months in Germany while our house on the Sunny Coast gets built and the trains in Germany are unbelievable expensive...even when booked in advance.

$40 each way to the airport and $32 return to the next big town on the line even on their 'cheap' Sunday fare!

BadgeIsBack Dec 10th 2013 9:30 am

One of the secrets of some of Australia's capital cities is that public transport is absolutely adequate and cheap.

Do NOT believe the crap the local press say ...it is not that bad..

If I told you my commute from 45k out was barely 55 dollars a week..
and that infact includes all day on the entire Melbourne network...

it's something like 25 quid (or less - for those obsessed with FX rates, or 'real' rates) a week, perhaps cheaper for what is the equivalent of a London 'Travelcard' / season ticket - and by paying weekly its more expensive...I could realise even more savings..

I remember paying over 100 quid a month for a Travelcard in London....20 years ago!

(how it works in practise - one of the things is that Melb essentially caps your spend - short distances are a bit more - but still cheap. So 1 short trip, would infact, seem far more - in the order of 2-3 dollars...it's like the price of milk I have no idea what they cost!)

BadgeIsBack Dec 10th 2013 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11028891)
UK can be cheap if you book in advance though, I regularly do London to Bristol for a tenner.

Indeed...but a Travelcard in London is going to cost even if you buy monthly.

paddyo Dec 10th 2013 9:47 am

I pay $61 a week for a My Multi Weekly train pass and thats all inclusive travel from Wollongong to Parramatta......when converted thats less than a off peak one day return from Basingstoke to London!!!

paddyo Dec 10th 2013 9:47 am

sorry..thats including ALL trains, buses and ferries within the Sydney Metropolitan area.

BadgeIsBack Dec 10th 2013 9:53 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 11029022)
sorry..thats including ALL trains, buses and ferries within the Sydney Metropolitan area.

Yes indeed. I was going to say Reading - London (in my case) but without googling it I couldn't be sure : and we all know what happens if we make substantiations we can't prove on BE - dont' we? We get caned and spanked. (And rightly so!)

Australia is a very expensive place - but when you factor in tihis cost you can't do without - travel on a train to the place where you make your coin - it is very cheap. At the moment.

It will change no doubt.

moneypenny20 Dec 10th 2013 10:18 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 11029003)
If I told you my commute from 45k out was barely 55 dollars a week..
and that infact includes all day on the entire Melbourne network...

One way, 100km to the airport - $36. Stops as near as damnit everywhere. Rip off.

BadgeIsBack Dec 10th 2013 10:39 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11029045)
One way, 100km to the airport - $36. Stops as near as damnit everywhere. Rip off.

Ok - I will take off Brissy and that particular line off my 'To do' list!

Can I ask what price is a Brissy metro 'all-in' ticket.

No airport stuff..just getting from the suburbs to work and back.

moneypenny20 Dec 10th 2013 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 11029065)
Ok - I will take off Brissy and that particular line off my 'To do' list!

Can I ask what price is a Brissy metro 'all-in' ticket.

No airport stuff..just getting from the suburbs to work and back.

No idea. Thankfully I've never had to do it.:D

Dreamy Dec 10th 2013 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11029045)

Is there an airport charge in there Penny? It pisses me off that, although daily travel is really cheap here in the Sydney area, it costs an extra $12.30 gatepass fee just to get off at either of airport stops (well, not to get off but to be able to get from the train into the airport)

Does my head in.