Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those who are scared about the move....

For those who are scared about the move....

Old Jun 18th 2006, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

andrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really nice
Default For those who are scared about the move....

Ok, this is our update at nearly 6 months in.........

I am the partner of the member Scared who has posted on here when we moved and I wanted to update things so people know what it is like to move over here when you do have serious doubts. For those who want to know how bad it got, just do a search for posts by "scared" and you will see it has not been easy. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348535

We moved out here right at the end of December and my OH was worried before we moved so much so that we were having doubts before we moved about whether we should even do the move. We both had jobs to come to but I started at the start of Jan and Scared started as a teacher at the end of January. Scared found it REALLY hard so much so that we were at the point of booking flights back to the UK and ship the pets back until I could get back with the furniture at the end of my job on the Commonwealth Games.

In the end we worked through it and she did agree that we would leave it until the end of the year and see what happens. She did go through the doctor route and found a fab doctor who prescribed anti-depressants and talked to her that "it was all normal" and to give it time. We both knew that I have enjoyed most of it from the start which has made it quite difficult but we both agreed that we would do what we needed to do and if that involved going back to the UK then I would do it.

We use Skype and Messenger every week and have arranged time to talk to people who are important to us in the UK. Scared has not been able to talk to some people but we are slowly getting through everyone. We have wrote and emailed everyone to say it has been hard and we will talk to them in the end but that we are OK. For those who are leaving kids behind in the UK, they will be OK if you are totally honest with them, things can be OK. We talk on Messenger every week to my kids and send things to them every month. Birthdays are hard but we do all we can to make them special with parcels of things that they can't get in the UK.

The biggest thing we have found is to talk about things, don't bottle it up, finding it hard is NORMAL and just see what happens. If you decide you like it, you can stay, if you don't like it you can always go back but at least you have done it.

We have made sure we have been out and about and seen everything we can, we have been to the Tennis, Commonwealth Games, yarra valley, Great Ocean Road, Sydney, Brisbane etc so we have tried to see the sights and enjoy what we have.

Well, where are we up to and are we going to stay.....

Well things have got loads better, Scared is off the tablets and has been signed off by the doc. She was very worried about seeing the doc as she felt she had failed but it just helped her (and us) through a very hard time but now we have agreed that we are going to give it a go and we are now looking for a house to buy.

Are we going to stay forever.... I have to say it has been one of the hardest 6 months of our relationship but we have tried hard to keep it together and have come out of it stronger but will we stay well we don't know but at least if we don't we will have tried and decided it is not for us.

Sorry for a rambling post but if in doubt, try it and you might just like it. If it helps anyone who is not sure then I have succeeded!!

If anyone has doubts, just PM us and we will be as honest as we can.

Last edited by andrewb; Jun 18th 2006 at 11:05 am.
Old Jun 18th 2006, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those who are scared about the move....

What a good post. I wish you luck for the future.
Mandy
Old Jun 18th 2006, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

GreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud of

Great post! Gives us some ups for moments where we are in doubt
And as you said - what doesnt kill you only makes you stronger! Even if one day you pack your things, you did go down under and tried - that is more than many people do with their dreams!
All the best to you and Scared!!!

GreenSauce and her Engineer
Old Jun 18th 2006, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Excellent post

I think half the battle is admitting things are not Ok then you are half way to doing something about it, hope you continue to settle but like others have said, at least you have had the guts to try it.

Di
Old Jun 18th 2006, 12:47 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Fab post. Hopefully you are over the worst now and things will get much better. All the best with your house buy and the future.

Joex
Old Jun 18th 2006, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to all

Great post.
I think so many people dont talk about how they are feeling and keep it bottled up for fear of letting the other person down. Good on you for sticking it out, only wish we would have. We (I) only gave it three months in 1997 and we are now in the process of moving back, to Melbourne hopefully, (visa granted 3 weeks ago just waiting to sell house).

Good luck and stick in there. We are hoping to move to Caroline Springs haven't heard anyone say anything about it on here, any info would be good.

Ta

Sandra
x
Old Jun 18th 2006, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

andrew, what a greta post, havent seen you around for ages and now i can see why!!! sounds like its been extremely tough for you both but it looks like you have come through it together.

good luck and be happy both of you

debbie
Old Jun 18th 2006, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Tom & Angela is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: For those who are scared about the move....

Great post Andrew - Thankyou for sharing that.

Honest open posts like this give hope to those of us who still have to make the final bold move across the world. We are in the position of getting closer to making the final move but with three kids we have periods of doubt - the what if it doesn't workout mentality starts creeping in.
My OH is a Teacher and just recently she has been researching the site for posts about the job situation Down Under. Many are not very encouraging so the doubts creep in. Obviously we both need to work for the family.

Hope the future is bright and happy for both of you.
Old Jun 18th 2006, 11:05 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for a very good and honest post Andrew.
I, too have been having doubts and I'm not even there yet
Good luck to you and your family.

Julie. x
Old Jun 19th 2006, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

jdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: For those who are scared about the move....

Originally Posted by andrewb

I am the partner of the member Scared who has posted on here when we moved and I wanted to update things so people know what it is like to move over here when you do have serious doubts. For those who want to know how bad it got, just do a search for posts by "scared" and you will see it has not been easy. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348535

We moved out here right at the end of December and my OH was worried before we moved so much so that we were having doubts before we moved about whether we should even do the move. We both had jobs to come to but I started at the start of Jan and Scared started as a teacher at the end of January. Scared found it REALLY hard so much so that we were at the point of booking flights back to the UK and ship the pets back until I could get back with the furniture at the end of my job on the Commonwealth Games.

In the end we worked through it and she did agree that we would leave it until the end of the year and see what happens. She did go through the doctor route and found a fab doctor who prescribed anti-depressants and talked to her that "it was all normal" and to give it time. We both knew that I have enjoyed most of it from the start which has made it quite difficult but we both agreed that we would do what we needed to do and if that involved going back to the UK then I would do it.

We use Skype and Messenger every week and have arranged time to talk to people who are important to us in the UK. Scared has not been able to talk to some people but we are slowly getting through everyone. We have wrote and emailed everyone to say it has been hard and we will talk to them in the end but that we are OK. For those who are leaving kids behind in the UK, they will be OK if you are totally honest with them, things can be OK. We talk on Messenger every week to my kids and send things to them every month. Birthdays are hard but we do all we can to make them special with parcels of things that they can't get in the UK.

The biggest thing we have found is to talk about things, don't bottle it up, finding it hard is NORMAL and just see what happens. If you decide you like it, you can stay, if you don't like it you can always go back but at least you have done it.

We have made sure we have been out and about and seen everything we can, we have been to the Tennis, Commonwealth Games, yarra valley, Great Ocean Road, Sydney, Brisbane etc so we have tried to see the sights and enjoy what we have.

Well things have got loads better, Scared is off the tablets and has been signed off by the doc. She was very worried about seeing the doc as she felt she had failed but it just helped her (and us) through a very hard time but now we have agreed that we are going to give it a go and we are now looking for a house to buy.

Are we going to stay forever.... I have to say it has been one of the hardest 6 months of our relationship but we have tried hard to keep it together and have come out of it stronger but will we stay well we don't know but at least if we don't we will have tried and decided it is not for us.

Sorry for a rambling post but if in doubt, try it and you might just like it. If it helps anyone who is not sure then I have succeeded!!

Good luck with everything guys. I REALLY hope it all works out for you!

All the best,

JDT
Old Jun 19th 2006, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Thanks for a great post.

I hope it works out well for you both.
Old Jun 19th 2006, 12:42 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewb

A really insightful and sincere post.

I'm glad that you've got through the hardest times. It can only get better I suppose?

Good luck.