Reload this Page >

Teaching in Australia

Teaching in Australia

Old May 19th 2017, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Nicky1627 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Australia

Hi,
My husband and I are teachers, Science/Maths and me English. We are in the process of applying for residency in Australia. I remember reading on a forum a while back about some state sponsorship programmes where you don't get a lot of choice on destination but where you are offered a teaching post for around a two year period. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this please.

Thanks.
Old May 20th 2017, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Australia

You do not get offered a teaching post for a two-year period. You still have to find your own job. But you have to live in that state/territory for a two-year period. Considering how hard it is for new migrants to get teaching jobs right away that mobility may come in handy.

If you are secondary teachers, which is on the SOL for a 189 visa, I don't think there is any advantage in going for the 190 unless you need the extra 5 points. 60 points is the minimum to get into the pool, but 60 points does not guarantee you an invitation. Sometimes you need more points than that.
Old May 20th 2017, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Nicky1627 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Carcajou, thanks for your reply, yes I see what you are saying, I understand the rules surrounding the visas mentioned. I was actually looking for information on another scheme that was, and maybe is still available, where if you are willing to go to any destination you are given sponsorship. It may have been by a particular states who have a lack of teachers in particular subjects. There was a post I read a while ago of an English couple who had taken part in this scheme and they were provided with a teaching post, house and school places for their own children but I have not forgotten the details. Maybe it is no longer running. Would you say form your experience finding work teaching is tricky?
Thanks.
Old May 20th 2017, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Nicky, I have never heard of the scheme you are referring to, however up until about 7-8 years ago Australian states and territories were still giving out 457 visas to secondary teachers which of course meant they had a position. Those days are long gone, however, and I can't see them coming back, not in the near or medium future. About 10 years ago there was an absolute explosion in the number of Australians entering teacher training programs and though the numbers have tailed off somewhat, it is going to take a while for the numbers to get back down to where they were historically, if they ever do.

If you are teaching outside the metropolitan areas, education department housing (ie corporate housing) is available but you do have to pay rent on it - that rent is subsidised but recently the subsidy has been cut to the point that it can be cheaper to just rent privately than stay in the education department housing.

Secondary teachers are on the shortage list but there is no actual shortage - just an "imbalance." A huge oversupply in the main cities, and then a shortage in remote or Outback areas (but not country areas). So it is very hard to get a job in, say, Perth or Sydney, because not only are you competing with all of those new graduates floating around, you are also competing with everyone in the regions or Outback who want to transfer into the city. Nicer country areas like Margaret River or Warrnambool are even harder, because everyone who is remote/Outback/country who doesn't want to go back to the city tries to go there, yet these are small towns and the number of positions is very limited.

If you are willing to go outside the main cities, chances are better but still not great. The best way to do it is to do relief at first, so the principals know who you are and if you are any good, you become the "safe" candidate when a position does come open. Australian principals prefer to hire someone they know than to take a chance on an unknown.

My advice to you would be to take a reconnaisance trip first to visit some schools in the region you are looking at moving to, and contacting the principal to talk about getting on their relief list and to get an idea of the job market in that region. You can also just pop by - Australian principals are good about that.
Old May 22nd 2017, 5:32 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicky1627
Hi Carcajou, thanks for your reply, yes I see what you are saying, I understand the rules surrounding the visas mentioned. I was actually looking for information on another scheme that was, and maybe is still available, where if you are willing to go to any destination you are given sponsorship. It may have been by a particular states who have a lack of teachers in particular subjects. There was a post I read a while ago of an English couple who had taken part in this scheme and they were provided with a teaching post, house and school places for their own children but I have not forgotten the details. Maybe it is no longer running. Would you say form your experience finding work teaching is tricky?
Thanks.
Contact the orgs that will be giving you teacher registration - they may be able to offer advice on how the recruitment process works - depends which state you are heading to but for Queensland it is the Qld College of Teachers
Contact Us