Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving on Australian driving license if previously banned in UK.

Driving on Australian driving license if previously banned in UK.

Old Apr 28th 2017, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

James234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving on Australian driving license if previously banned in UK.

I have 9 points on my UK driving license. If I received 12 and was subsequently banned from driving, would this prevent me from obtaining an Australian license in the future?

Thanks

James
Old Apr 28th 2017, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

steven9818 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Driving on Australian driving license if previously banned in UK.

As far as I am aware if you are banned in the UK you would not be able to drive here or get an Australian drivers licence until the ban has been served. When I applied for my Queensland drivers licence they took all of my UK details to check that my licence was valid.

Try here, Driving with an overseas licence | australia.gov.au
Old Apr 29th 2017, 3:59 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James234
I have 9 points on my UK driving license. If I received 12 and was subsequently banned from driving, would this prevent me from obtaining an Australian license in the future?

Thanks

James
Old Apr 29th 2017, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

James
I like this question.

Sounds like a "Before I move to Australia I have a burning desire to get my Audi up to 150mph around the M25 and no one can touch my valued license".

Go for it. You will be fine (no pun intended).
Old Apr 29th 2017, 5:20 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I like this question.

Sounds like a "Before I move to Australia I have a burning desire to get my Audi up to 150mph around the M25 and no one can touch my valued license".

Go for it. You will be fine (no pun intended).

That, or "I've been driving like an idiot. If I keep driving like an idiot, can I get an Australian license so I can drive like an idiot there too?"
Old Apr 29th 2017, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

That's how they drive here anyway, just not as fast.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 10:13 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

That, or "I've been driving like an idiot. If I keep driving like an idiot, can I get an Australian license so I can drive like an idiot there too?"
Yep. And should only take one double demerit weekend to kill this idea 😃
Old Apr 29th 2017, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

Seems to work for P platers
Old Apr 30th 2017, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Seems to work for P platers
And Saturday drivers in Sydney ..... oh my word last Saturday was just idiot central. I'm sticking to weekdays.
Old May 22nd 2017, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

James
I attended the RMS in Brisbane in person. Needless to say, there was plenty of forms involved that I had to fill out. A green, white and blue. All to be produced together with a hundred points of identification. A passport, utility bill, birth certificate, medicare certificate, citizenship certificate, and a blockbuster membership card.

I remember there was an old lady commanding the desk that took care of "licensing". When my number was called I approached and handed my UK license, the three coloured papers and thirty identification documents.

The old lady was perplexed at the United Kingdom license. She eventually shrugged and then passed a remark about how cold it must be this time of year which I mistook as queue for small talk. She scowled at me when I replied so I trailed off mid sentence and let her proceed.

After a couple more minutes of muttering to herself, some photocopying, stamping, she then asked me to sit down for the photo.

Then the blue, green and white papers that I had spent 45 minutes filling out were discarded into the bin and the identification documents where handed back together with a shiny new QLD drivers license sitting on top.

Later that week I would earn six points on my license all in one day. The little rats use unmarked speed camera traps. Then I moved country from QLD to NSW and changed my license and all the points got wiped back to zero. Down here they also place warnings before taking photographs of your speed. I have not received any more tickets since.