Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (continued!)

Tasmania (continued!)

Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:33 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Kind of like the UK in a different way. Should add more.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania??

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Well in one of my periodic visits to the Tassie thread I found the discussion about the thread being too long, needing new people etc. So I've split it, hope I've picked a reasonable enough place
Hopefully it'll get a new lease of life now and pull in some new posters.

The previous thread is HERE

==============================

I'm now longing to be down there again having read about the fish and chips and Coles Bay and Port Arthur and Cradle Mountain...the island is so dear to me its like a second home, so I guess in a way I'm homesick

http://www.rosebay.tased.edu.au/camera.htm
Thanks Pollyanna

You'll have to pay us a visit in little old Tas soon

Sam
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenmil
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3035/...e1a7078d33.jpg

I have met so many people here who call Tassie Australias best kept secret. Even when we flew back in just a few weeks ago i got talking to a Brit who lives in the UK an Tassie too. Nice. I must admit myself that i never considered Tassie as you just tend to think of the mainland. It's a shame it really is, but then again there would be too many people here otherwise. An old school mate i just got talking too is thinking of moving here to retire. He has been here many times and loves it. He has been in Oz over 20 years. Maybe it's the weather is too cold for some. Fine to me but then i am used to the North East weather.
Nice piccy, how are you settling back in?

Hope you get some good news soon with your house in the UK.

You're right about many people not considering Tas but maybe that's their loss and our gain. We've had a few ups and downs in our first 3 months but still feel that Tas was the right place for us.

Sam
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelbug
Thanks Pollyanna.
Nice to see you popping in on the thread again as well... i know you miss the place from previous posts/comments you've made....
Are you planning on returning to the Island at all ?
Only for visits I think, can't see The Bloke moving there, hes too much of a Qlder. I was back last year for a long weekend, which was stunning.......I came back with far too much luggage having blitzed the souvenir shops again, as I just love the wooden stuff, and I put on a horrible amount of weight by eating far too much
I was there the weekend Myers burnt down, very sad watching it burn, from a ringside seat in the New Sydney pub in the next street up. I'm sure the fire was nothing to do with the heat caused by pulling my credit card in and out of my pocket so often!!

I have met so many people here who call Tassie Australias best kept secret. Even when we flew back in just a few weeks ago i got talking to a Brit who lives in the UK an Tassie too. Nice. I must admit myself that i never considered Tassie as you just tend to think of the mainland. It's a shame it really is, but then again there would be too many people here otherwise. An old school mate i just got talking too is thinking of moving here to retire. He has been here many times and loves it. He has been in Oz over 20 years. Maybe it's the weather is too cold for some. Fine to me but then i am used to the North East weather.
I think too many people see it as wet and cold, they don't realise it can be seriously hot and sunny too.
Lovely pic, I met some wonderful penguins on the beach up there once
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:08 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania??

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Thanks Pollyanna

You'll have to pay us a visit in little old Tas soon

Sam
Won't be this side of Christmas, but I'll be back

Not a fab picture quality-wise but I came across it while scanning a load of old ones last week. Taken on finals for Hobart on my first trip in 1999.
The best final approach in the world
Attached Thumbnails Tasmania (continued!)-7-mile-beach.jpg  
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:12 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Looks great, not been to Hobart yet but will soon as i can. So many Tasmanians tell me Launceston is better than Hobart and vice versa, so i have been to Launnie but not Hobart. When i do i will spill the beans.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:25 pm
Home and Happy

Looks great, not been to Hobart yet but will soon as i can. So many Tasmanians tell me Launceston is better than Hobart and vice versa, so i have been to Launnie but not Hobart. When i do i will spill the beans.
There's a very strong north-south split, very English! Bit like the beer, northerners swear by Boags, but us southern types prefer Cascade
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:16 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Cathy we are spending a night here tom night

http://www.hawleyhousetas.com/

then on sat we are having a night in Wynyard, going over to the tulip festival info here if you want to look

http://www.bloomintulips.com.au/

will let you know what it was like
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

hey, yes the 11.5 yar old daughter loved her visit to Port Arthur! The 9 year old did too. We did the ghost tour but 9 year old burst into tears 1/2 an hour into it so I had a spooky walk back to the visitors centre with her and then we had to wait for the other two to finish. But all in al, it was a great weekend!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:58 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Teabag
hey, yes the 11.5 yar old daughter loved her visit to Port Arthur! The 9 year old did too. We did the ghost tour but 9 year old burst into tears 1/2 an hour into it so I had a spooky walk back to the visitors centre with her and then we had to wait for the other two to finish. But all in al, it was a great weekend!
Port Arthur is so atmospheric isn't it, even in the daytime. Definitely deserves a re-visit some time The amount of history in that cove is just phenomenal.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3161/...d162f61025.jpg

Kind of like the UK in a different way. Should add more.

Beautiful picture Lenmil
It certainly reminds me of the UK in some ways.....but i've said from when we 1st visited that aspects of Tas would remind me of home....

Hope you're getting on ok over there?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Only for visits I think, can't see The Bloke moving there, hes too much of a Qlder. I was back last year for a long weekend, which was stunning.......I came back with far too much luggage having blitzed the souvenir shops again, as I just love the wooden stuff, and I put on a horrible amount of weight by eating far too much
I was there the weekend Myers burnt down, very sad watching it burn, from a ringside seat in the New Sydney pub in the next street up. I'm sure the fire was nothing to do with the heat caused by pulling my credit card in and out of my pocket so often!!

I think too many people see it as wet and cold, they don't realise it can be seriously hot and sunny too.
Lovely pic, I met some wonderful penguins on the beach up there once
I'm sure you weren't responsible! Where are your favourite gift shops - are they the ones that are in Salamanca?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Possums
Cathy we are spending a night here tom night

http://www.hawleyhousetas.com/

then on sat we are having a night in Wynyard, going over to the tulip festival info here if you want to look

http://www.bloomintulips.com.au/

will let you know what it was like

Looks lovely Kay
Have a great time at the Hotel - and enjoy "bloomintulips" - some lovely pictures on the gallery
take some pics whilst there - so we can have a nose!
Cathy
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Teabag
Glad you all had a great time...(apart from your younger daughter getting upset of course). I did a ghost walk in York once with a friend (it's where my older brother lives over here) - and i must admit the guy that talked us through the streets was an actor - and he was absolutely brilliant - and there were a few moments when it did get a bit scary!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by travelbug
Looks lovely Kay
Have a great time at the Hotel - and enjoy "bloomintulips" - some lovely pictures on the gallery
take some pics whilst there - so we can have a nose!
Cathy

Hi Kay, how was your weekend ? what was the hotel like & the bloomintulips show?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.