Reload this Page >

Single young graduate

Single young graduate

Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

lardydah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Single young graduate

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody here has similar experiences/advice for me.

I'm 22 and I've just graduated from a decent university, with a 2:2 in computer science. I haven't really travelled much before, and want to try out a new culture/experience new things/have a bit of fun/maybe even build a life?

I'm seriously considering just hopping on a plane and coming over to Aus. Totally fresh start.

I've got a few questions:

What's the job market like out there? Would my british degree hold any clout?
How easy is it to get bar/restaurant work? does it pay enough to live on?
How would $ do you think I should be looking at as a safety net?

Luckily I don't have to worry about visas etc, I am a NZ citizen by descent from my father and hold a NZ passport (which I am led to believe, basically gives me the same rights as an AUS citizen when it comes to work, etc?)

Is my plan viable? Or misguided?

Any input would be much appreciated
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:49 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single young graduate

Originally Posted by lardydah
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody here has similar experiences/advice for me.

I'm 22 and I've just graduated from a decent university, with a 2:2 in computer science. I haven't really travelled much before, and want to try out a new culture/experience new things/have a bit of fun/maybe even build a life?

I'm seriously considering just hopping on a plane and coming over to Aus. Totally fresh start.

I've got a few questions:

What's the job market like out there? Would my british degree hold any clout?
How easy is it to get bar/restaurant work? does it pay enough to live on?
How would $ do you think I should be looking at as a safety net?

Luckily I don't have to worry about visas etc, I am a NZ citizen by descent from my father and hold a NZ passport (which I am led to believe, basically gives me the same rights as an AUS citizen when it comes to work, etc?)

Is my plan viable? Or misguided?

Any input would be much appreciated

I think its a great idea...why not...
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

ExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really nice
Default Re: Single young graduate

Go for it! I came over in a very similar position as you 9 years ago originally on a WHV and have never looked back.

I only have personal experience of Sydney but I just found everything so easy. I stayed in a Backpacker hostel originally which was a good initial base as it gave me access to contacts / notice boards with jobs /share accomodation etc. There was just a really good knowledge base to draw on there and really easy to meet people in a similar situation.

I have a degree in Geography from a UK university and I've never had any issues with it. I was lucky and got a temping job no problem but I remember there were some graduates who had never had a job...not in a bar/ cafe nothing and they found it really difficult to find work. Its going back a bit now but I think I got about $500/week and paid about $150 rent. I managed quite well with $350/week...I remember feeling positively rich after uni!

I think you've got to be fairly outgoing and have a positive outlook to make it work but worst case scenario....you can just admit its not for you and go home so you have nothing to loose. Good Luck!